Thread: Nilgai/Blue Bull Cartridge/Load Selection

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I killed four Nilgai, three cows and a nice bull in May. I used two rifles, a .308 and a .300 Win. Mag. Three of them were shot with the .300 and a single Cow was shot with the .308.

The bull was a good one, his horns were just over 9" and on the hoof he weighed about 600 pounds. It took four of us about half an hour to drag him the 35-40 yards through the brush (miserably thick) to where we could get a truck to him. The cows were between 300-400 pounds.

The bull was shot at about 200 yards, broadside. I was using a suppressor and clearly heard the bullet hit, knew it was a good hit by the sound, but he ran off like I had missed. He ran about 35-40 yards into the brush- we would never have found him that night without the thermal. The bullet was a standard Remington Core Lokt, 200 grain. I recovered it just under the hide on the off side, there was a "bump" in his hide and a small trickle of blood coming out.... Broke 5 ribs--three going in and two when it nearly exited. The cows, no bullet recovered. The one cow I shot with the .308 (Winchester Power Point 150 grain) was straight through the heart at about 125 yards or so, she fell dead about where she stood, really surprised me, bullet exited.

We were hunting pretty close to Smithville- had to have the Federal Agent come and spray my bull Cape etc...for Ticks before we could leave with it. If you know the area then you know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by Esq.; 12-14-18 at 13:19.