Thread: Lyman Universal Trimmer vs. RCBS Trimpro

Feedback Score

Lyman Universal Trimmer vs. RCBS Trimpro

I have an older RCBS collet type case trimmer and it gives me some trouble on .303 Brit. rimmed cartridge cases. I find that the rim diameters of .303 vary several thosandths from shell to shell, even within the same brand. In a collet type trimmer like the older RCBS that changes the entry of the collet into the cartridge holder. As a result I am experiencing considerable variation in the trim lengths of my .303 shells. After setting trim length and proceeding from one cartridge to the next I get trim lengths that vary of as much as .010" from one shell to the next.

I am looking for a timmer that doesn't depend of a collet so I wont get cartridge length variations on rimmed cartridges. Both the RCBS trimpro and the Lyman Universal tirmmer look like they may have a design that may not give me the same problem as they don't use colletts.

I would like to hear from users of these two trimmers as to whether they may help the problem I am having with vaiances in Rim Diameters messing up my cartridge lengths.

Feedback Score
    I like the Dillon Rapid Trim 1200B case trimmer. It resizes the brass while you trim it it is accurate and fast if you trim a lot at a time.

Feedback Score
    I have a Lyman universal, works like a champ on anything and is easy to use. Works best on unprimed cases. I've tried the RCBS, didn't like it at all.
    Any day you can pull a trigger is a good day.

Feedback Score

trimmer

none of the above

try a possum hollow trimmer

if trims based off the case shoulder

you can use it in a drill. simply push the case up into the trmmer with your hand until it stops trimming and..... your done... super fast and very accurate.

http://www.possumhollowproducts.com/...-trimmers.html

they are a bit hard to get but Midway usually carries them.

223 and 308