Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FourSevens pistol weapon light

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    We'll see, they might hold a charge well.
    I am assuming 4 Sevens is using a lithium technology battery. They have a higher capacity, can better handle high drain devices like high powered lights, has a wider operating temperature, and twice the shelf life of a standard alkaline battery. The days of finding that your recharged Nicad battery that wasn't used in a while is now dead has passed. It's a win-win-win-win as long as the lithium battery is not a cheap knock off brand, but that applies with anything.

My customized weaponlight can't even be run to its potential on alkalines. The drain is too high on brightest setting for them to keep up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I am assuming 4 Sevens is using a lithium technology battery. They have a higher capacity, can better handle high drain devices like high powered lights, has a wider operating temperature, and twice the shelf life of a standard alkaline battery. The days of finding that your recharged Nicad battery that wasn't used in a while is now dead has passed. It's a win-win-win-win as long as the lithium battery is not a cheap knock off brand, but that applies with anything.

My customized weaponlight can't even be run to its potential on alkalines. The drain is too high on brightest setting for them to keep up.
    It's a win if you have a source to recharge it. Replacing a battery is much faster than plugging in and waiting to charge.

MM

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    It's a win if you have a source to recharge it. Replacing a battery is much faster than plugging in and waiting to charge.

MM
    I feel like as long as it is not a shtf scenario, we have lots of options. 12 volt in your vehicle, power banks, portable solar chargers, laptops bla bla bla. Basically if you could plug your phone/ipod into it to charge you could plug the light.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

MM
    True, but realistically who runs out of battery in this day and age? You charge that thing like you maintain your pistol. It even tells you what level the battery is at. If you run out of battery, it really is on you. In a shtf scenario there are a lot of solar chargers out there that would charge it just fine. Alkaline batteries shelf life is 5-7 years. After that...no worky...and that means all the alkaline batteries that you run into. The lithiums will charge 1000's of times. If your that concerned about charging, at a $100, just buy a spare to put on while the other is charging.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 01-20-17 at 09:23.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    I feel like as long as it is not a shtf scenario, we have lots of options. 12 volt in your vehicle, power banks, portable solar chargers, laptops bla bla bla. Basically if you could plug your phone/ipod into it to charge you could plug the light.
    Again, that's great if the you have the TIME and RESOURCES to charge the light. For a simple scenario let's say you live in Oklahoma or some other Tornado Alley state. Your light is low on charge but you'll plug it in when you get home or out of the field(think farmer). Tornado hits and you're several days without power and now have a light that is worthless. Changing a battery takes all of a minute. Perhaps your battery is low or dead and you need to press your pistol/light combo into action right quick, again a useless light. With less than an hour runtime it won't take long to run it down. Anyone know how long it takes to charge?

True, but realistically who runs out of battery in this day and age? You charge that thing like you maintain your pistol. It even tells you what level the battery is at. If you run out of battery, it really is on you. In a shtf scenario there are a lot of solar chargers out there that would charge it just fine. Alkaline batteries shelf life is 5-7 years. After that...no worky...and that means all the alkaline batteries that you run into. The lithiums will charge 1000's of times. If your that concerned about charging, at a $100, just buy a spare to put on while the other is charging.
    Lithium batteries(think 123's) are good for ten plus years. I strongly doubt any civil war/uprising is going to last much more than 5 years let alone 10 plus. Carrying around a charger is far from practical or ideal and nor is having two lights. What happens when one light goes tits up, do you buy a third to replace the second? You could say the same thing for current lights and the answer would be the same. Roll the dice or have spares which gives this new offering no advantage in that department. Adding yet another battery/power system to your gear is not a wise logistical move either. What happens when the internal battery takes a dump, can that be user replaced?

The bluetooth tech and the GPS stuff is more than is needed in a white light and frankly is near useless. We've survived this long without a GPS tracker in our lights, I'm not sure we need one. Too much tech and not enough simple.

MM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Again, that's great if the you have the TIME and RESOURCES to charge the light. For a simple scenario let's say you live in Oklahoma or some other Tornado Alley state. Your light is low on charge but you'll plug it in when you get home or out of the field(think farmer). Tornado hits and you're several days without power and now have a light that is worthless. Changing a battery takes all of a minute. Perhaps your battery is low or dead and you need to press your pistol/light combo into action right quick, again a useless light. With less than an hour runtime it won't take long to run it down. Anyone know how long it takes to charge?

Lithium batteries(think 123's) are good for ten plus years. I strongly doubt any civil war/uprising is going to last much more than 5 years let alone 10 plus. Carrying around a charger is far from practical or ideal and nor is having two lights. What happens when one light goes tits up, do you buy a third to replace the second? You could say the same thing for current lights and the answer would be the same. Roll the dice or have spares which gives this new offering no advantage in that department. Adding yet another battery/power system to your gear is not a wise logistical move either. What happens when the internal battery takes a dump, can that be user replaced?

The bluetooth tech and the GPS stuff is more than is needed in a white light and frankly is near useless. We've survived this long without a GPS tracker in our lights, I'm not sure we need one. Too much tech and not enough simple.

MM
    I agree with you about the extra tech not really needed. That is why I mentioned earlier that I would hope the GPS tracking is a selectable feature, or non-selectable to be more exact.

As far as recommending the spare light, that was not for the shtf scenario and not a big deal in a modern scenario. If a light goes tits up, it doesn't really matter what batteries you have in it now does it? One hour isn't that bad for that form factor and I seriously doubt that CR123's you are mentioning would be able to fit in that light either, the SF XC1 it is competing against uses a AAA. Like I mentioned before, as long as the internal battery is quality to begin with, it will last you 1000's of cycles. Who really uses their pistol weapon light for that long anyway? It's specific in purpose. If you just need a flashlight, just use a flashlight.

The good thing is we have choices and they are getting better all the time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tend to agree with these thoughts on replaceable vs rechargeable.
    After watching the video and mulling it over - thinking about how I would try to make this work - I humbly submit the following thoughts:

-If you are going to have rechargeable, having it notify me of low battery via my phone is useful
    -GPS for WML seems meh; Lord help me if I don't know where it is; but I realize they are just leveraging the tech from their other lights
    -With the stated price point: if it had a relative quick disconnect, having two might mitigate some battery concerns.
    --additionally this would help with SHTF logistics / recharging
    --It doesn't look like a quick disconnect
    -robustness/durability/how-it-holds-up will supersede many considerations

-I appreciate companies taking the chance and bringing these new products to market. Right now we are at the edge of size+output+runtime+durability+battery config. All these small WML have tradeoffs. Examples:
    want small and replaceable battery = XC1 - trade 200 vs 600 lumens (I know lumens aren't everything)
    want high power and replaceable battery = X300 - trade size
    want small and high power = sentinel WS1 - trade rechargeable

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

MM
    Whenever we go camping it to usually a non power campground. We can be gone for a week and never run out of battery. If you have access to any battery you can charge what you need. I have a few power banks and bring a inverter too in case I need to adapt 12v to run something. All you would need is a usb 12v hookup and you can charge most accessories. Plus I like was mentioned I have a flashlight for most all lighting purposes. My weaponlight is for social work. My battery lasts a good amount in my tlr-1 under normal usage. I do not like some of the crap on the foursevens light, but the weight and proce is nice. They make a fine product, and hopefully for guys like you they will make one with a battery.

Feedback Score
    A $100 though, that is crazy.
    4Sevens lights are made in China, so the price point is not surprising.

Feedback Score
    The guys at 4Sevens are a bunch of light nerds, so they can make some solid pieces. My concern is that they're not really gun nuts, so the feature sets we are looking for may not be addressed.

Surefire built the XC1 around the G19 because they know their gun audience. The WS1 was built around some compact XD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast