Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FourSevens pistol weapon light

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhado View Post
    The guys at 4Sevens are a bunch of light nerds, so they can make some solid pieces. My concern is that they're not really gun nuts, so the feature sets we are looking for may not be addressed.
    Had similar thoughts when I heard:
    "...would you cringe at me if I said I might want to put it on an 870?
    Uh...no...it's got the standard Picatinny. You could probably slap it on there and see how it works."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by inune View Post
    Had similar thoughts when I heard:
    "...would you cringe at me if I said I might want to put it on an 870?
    Uh...no...it's got the standard Picatinny. You could probably slap it on there and see how it works."
    Hey no worries man, they put it on a Tavor and put 100 rounds through it!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My check is ready

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I agree with you about the extra tech not really needed. That is why I mentioned earlier that I would hope the GPS tracking is a selectable feature, or non-selectable to be more exact.

As far as recommending the spare light, that was not for the shtf scenario and not a big deal in a modern scenario. If a light goes tits up, it doesn't really matter what batteries you have in it now does it? One hour isn't that bad for that form factor and I seriously doubt that CR123's you are mentioning would be able to fit in that light either, the SF XC1 it is competing against uses a AAA. Like I mentioned before, as long as the internal battery is quality to begin with, it will last you 1000's of cycles. Who really uses their pistol weapon light for that long anyway? It's specific in purpose. If you just need a flashlight, just use a flashlight.

The good thing is we have choices and they are getting better all the time.
    I agree that the price and the competition/selection for a micro sized weapon light is a good thing. Like you the tech does not interest me and all I see are more failure points that aren't necessary. Look at optics and lights for the MIL, they all use disposable batteries because they're easy to change anywhere anytime.rechar

The run time is an issue if you were taking a low light training course. Lots of repetitions over the evening and your battery could be dead before the end of class. Other lights are back up and running in a minute or less, with this light you're hooped. For me all my lights take the same battery so any spares in any of my gear can be utilized in any light. Adding a rechargeable battery just complicates and limits my logisitics. Naturally for a micro light a 123 isn't going to fit, but working off a common disposable like an AA or AAA is much easier to work around. I think lights that use rechargeable batteries like the 18650 makes a lot of sense for "regular" use under "normal" conditions. Better performance and much cheaper than buying disposables all while still having the ability to use disposables.

Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    Whenever we go camping it to usually a non power campground. We can be gone for a week and never run out of battery. If you have access to any battery you can charge what you need. I have a few power banks and bring a inverter too in case I need to adapt 12v to run something. All you would need is a usb 12v hookup and you can charge most accessories. Plus I like was mentioned I have a flashlight for most all lighting purposes. My weaponlight is for social work. My battery lasts a good amount in my tlr-1 under normal usage. I do not like some of the crap on the foursevens light, but the weight and proce is nice. They make a fine product, and hopefully for guys like you they will make one with a battery.
    No offense but that isn't what I call camping. When I camp it's usually well off the road and only accessible by foot and everything is carried in on your back. I have no desire to carry large heavy power bricks/banks to charge a light or any other device. In the bad times scenario you can't bank on the grid being operational. You could trade/barter/borrow/steal batteries but you can't do any of those things with electricity unless the grid is up or you have a solar charger or some other way to transfer power from one source to another.

MM

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I agree that the price and the competition/selection for a micro sized weapon light is a good thing. Like you the tech does not interest me and all I see are more failure points that aren't necessary. Look at optics and lights for the MIL, they all use disposable batteries because they're easy to change anywhere anytime.rechar

The run time is an issue if you were taking a low light training course. Lots of repetitions over the evening and your battery could be dead before the end of class. Other lights are back up and running in a minute or less, with this light you're hooped. For me all my lights take the same battery so any spares in any of my gear can be utilized in any light. Adding a rechargeable battery just complicates and limits my logisitics. Naturally for a micro light a 123 isn't going to fit, but working off a common disposable like an AA or AAA is much easier to work around. I think lights that use rechargeable batteries like the 18650 makes a lot of sense for "regular" use under "normal" conditions. Better performance and much cheaper than buying disposables all while still having the ability to use disposables.

No offense but that isn't what I call camping. When I camp it's usually well off the road and only accessible by foot and everything is carried in on your back. I have no desire to carry large heavy power bricks/banks to charge a light or any other device. In the bad times scenario you can't bank on the grid being operational. You could trade/barter/borrow/steal batteries but you can't do any of those things with electricity unless the grid is up or you have a solar charger or some other way to transfer power from one source to another.

MM
    You gotta be one of those guys huh. First off charging shit off your truck or a battery does not use electricity from a power grid, uses a ****ing battery. Second pretty sure solar charged was mentioned a few times. I camp all sorts of different ways. But when we are going to our favorite campground, since there is no electricity and we have to leave the dogs. I like to have BATTERY powered fans for them so they do not die of heat stroke. Since I have a inverter and a couple power banks. Which weigh nothing, I can use my truck to take care of whatever is needed.

The light is kinda cool, it is also 100$ light. It is not a ****ing surefire. Hopefullt no one thinks it is. Is everything you keep with you at all times for the end of the world? I have different stuff for different reasons. Just like a camper for camping. See how that works? Camper/camping. Camping does not have to mean roughing it with a bag and not staying sanitary. I have a kelty for when we go to rustic campgrounds that require walking in. But I prefer to take the 77 traveller I redid with the wife and the dogs to go kayaking or fishing. Camping is about getting out and spending time with your family. Enjoying the great outdoors. Not masturbating in the woods by yourself.

Seriously 100$ light.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Obviously this light isn't intended for a SHTF situation or a situation where you're going off to Timbuktu to fight the Tallywackers for extended time.

It is however cool for the urbanite needing a cost effective small light for his EDC. If it turns out durable and the batteries don't crap out or set your ass on fire they will do well.

As for GPS, unlikely that it has a GPS in it. It has low power BT and the app tracks location of your device. When it's close to device it knows where the device is not where the gun is. Don't allow the app access to your location data it's blind as a bat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear13 View Post
    You gotta be one of those guys huh. First off charging shit off your truck or a battery does not use electricity from a power grid, uses a ****ing battery. Second pretty sure solar charged was mentioned a few times. I camp all sorts of different ways. But when we are going to our favorite campground, since there is no electricity and we have to leave the dogs. I like to have BATTERY powered fans for them so they do not die of heat stroke. Since I have a inverter and a couple power banks. Which weigh nothing, I can use my truck to take care of whatever is needed.

The light is kinda cool, it is also 100$ light. It is not a ****ing surefire. Hopefullt no one thinks it is. Is everything you keep with you at all times for the end of the world? I have different stuff for different reasons. Just like a camper for camping. See how that works? Camper/camping. Camping does not have to mean roughing it with a bag and not staying sanitary. I have a kelty for when we go to rustic campgrounds that require walking in. But I prefer to take the 77 traveller I redid with the wife and the dogs to go kayaking or fishing. Camping is about getting out and spending time with your family. Enjoying the great outdoors. Not masturbating in the woods by yourself.

Seriously 100$ light.
    Wow touched a nerve there.

I understand the use of your vehicles aux ports or direct from the battery. Do you carry a 12v car battery with you when you camp? Is that something you can find in the home/kitchen of an average family or gas station? If you do find a battery not you have to stick around while your light charges, great system. If you need to abandon your vehicle then how do you charge it? The point I was making which you may have missed is that this light is best suited to people who have ready and constant access to some form of power. That may be great for your everyday uses but it is useless in situations where access is not constant. Having different gear for different purposes is fine, until you realize you need new holsters for your "everyday" light and gun combo and a different holster for your "bad times" light and holster. You know, the light that takes disposable batteries and made by a company that has a long record of reliability. I don't see the cost effectiveness of having to acquire more sh*t to support a light that isn't solving any problems that other offerings aren't already solving.

My logic follows this kind of thinking. Your gear should be setup for the worst possible situation, where you are on the move with ZERO outside support. Your gear should be streamlined from a logistics standpoint and all gear used is gear you would bet your life on. Weapon mounted lights are overwhelmingly used for serious social work especially on pistols, so playing games and f**king around with novelty lights is bad form. If you have lights for fun and lights for work you need to re-evaluate your gear. Personally my rifles carry two spare batteries each which will provide two changes for my rifle lights or one change on my pistol lights. I am still limited to two/three cycles with my lights, but that's with the batteries carried ON the rifle. More batteries carried in the chest rig and more in the pack. If I were left with just my rifle then I probably don't have enough ammo to worry about a dead light. With the spares on gun and in the chest rig I again probably don't have enough ammo(on the rig and in gun) to worry about a dead light, same for the pack. Everything scales based on how long I could potentially survive/fight with what is available. Again, the MIL doesn't do rechargeable batteries nor do they carry hundreds of batteries for their gear. They have the somewhat luxury of knowing how long the mission will last(or should last). If we ever end up in bad times we have no clue how long it will last which makes planning/prepping a difficult task.

I say simpler is better. A dead battery is an easy fix with standard lights, with this light a dead battery means your light is useless. I'm not talking about a depleted battery I'm talking about a dead non functioning battery. I don't think you will find a replacement for it with ease at the best of times. As mentioned the use of regular batteries offers compatibility across your gear and it also offers something which you could trade/barter should that need arise. Far more electronic items using disposables than proprietary cells.

MM

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I dunno...IMHO, I feel 3 quality 18650's would be better than 6 Cr123's. WAY longer run time and able to handle a higher amperage demand on a quality high demand light. A small solar charger is small and light. 18650's are way more plentiful than people think. Laptop batteries and lithium power tool batteries and the like all use them. I have a crap load of them because when the batteries packs start to go bad, I take the packs apart and disassemble them. Then meter each cell individually, throw away the bad cells and keep the good ones. You just charge them up and they will have a 10-12 year shelf life.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I dunno...IMHO, I feel 3 quality 18650's would be better than 6 Cr123's. WAY longer run time and able to handle a higher amperage demand on a quality high demand light. A small solar charger is small and light. 18650's are way more plentiful than people think. Laptop batteries and lithium power tool batteries and the like all use them. I have a crap load of them because when the batteries packs start to go bad, I take the packs apart and disassemble them. Then meter each cell individually, throw away the bad cells and keep the good ones. You just charge them up and they will have a 10-12 year shelf life.
    A solid plan for sure with the option to still run disposables. I'm not as handy with electronics so I stick with disposables but again, I agree that 18650's are excellent compromises between a dedicated rechargeable battery and disposables.

MM

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    $100 is really close to the used price of a X300 (170 lumen). Also about the price of the Inforce APL. Hell, just bought the new 400 lumen Inforce WML for $118.

Not sure I would plunk down $100 for one. Maybe wait for the used market to try one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123