Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a diet plan.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm looking for a diet plan.

I've been getting back in to shape since early fall. I've dropped 25 pounds and I would like to knock another 25 off and get to about 185. I haven't been that light since I was a young E-5.
    I've had a set back or two, but now I'm in a place where I can make some real progress, but that next 25 is a sticking point.
    The thing is I dont really have a "plan" other than skip processed food and eat clean, so far this has been working. I've been adjusting and tweaking stuff, but I need to get a bit more serious.
    So who has a good diet plan?

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    High protein, low to moderate carbs, and get plenty of good fats. Always a good place to start.

Eat plenty of veggies.

What is your training like? What are you eating now?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A lot of people will push paleo and ketogenic. Both work great, however adherence is hard, especially if you eat out a fair amount.

https://medium.com/@hellokip/everyth...d92#.4pf54e6yd
    http://fourhourworkweek.com/2012/07/...se-100-pounds/

Slow carb has a very high adherence rate, and works if you're not sensitive to beans/lentils etc.

Allen

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I've been getting back in to shape since early fall. I've dropped 25 pounds and I would like to knock another 25 off and get to about 185. I haven't been that light since I was a young E-5.
    I've had a set back or two, but now I'm in a place where I can make some real progress, but that next 25 is a sticking point.
    The thing is I dont really have a "plan" other than skip processed food and eat clean, so far this has been working. I've been adjusting and tweaking stuff, but I need to get a bit more serious.
    So who has a good diet plan?

Check out "Shape Reclaimed" ... it works. Not rocket science, actually, just a whole-life reprogramming with the goal being to reset your metabolism, etc. In Phase I, if you are on the FastTrac option you basically are eating under 1,000 calories a day, more like around 500-600 and the goal is to get your body to consume its own yellow fat (the nasty stuff you don't want or need). You drink a shit-ton of water every day. You eliminate all fat, sugar and carbs and are basically eating fresh vegetables (four cups a day), two fruits, and 8 ounces of protein a day. You also take their "drops" which some say are comparable to the HCG stuff (which is illegal now). You do NOT excercise, or only a little. The goal is to dump as much of your body's fat as possible as quickly as possible. You can stay in Phase I as long as it takes to drop as much weight as you want. You weight yourself every morning religiously after you get out of bed and have your first morning pee. Once you dump the weight you move into...

Phase II...a period of time where you are really reprogramming yourself and your body to eat healthy. You will be slowly, very slowly, reintroducing things to your diet and watching carefully to see what starts to add weight back. You are setting what the best maintenance diet is for you.

The program focusses on an anti-inflammatory diet and really training yourself to eliminate forever a high fat, processed food diet, that has tons of carbs in it (starchy carbs), etc. It's hard because Americans love their super fatty, carb, sugary, processed foods.

I got into the diet after a number of my friends did and lost an amazing amount of weight.

ShapeReclaimed is administered by chiropractic and homeopathic doctors. You get your urine checked regularly, etc.

Give it a whirl. It's been working for great for me. BUT the key is to realize while the weight loss is quick and dramatic, the actual goal is a total life adjustment to eliminate the crap we stuff in our pie holes that winds up clogging our arteries, livers, and guts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Double3 View Post
    High protein, low to moderate carbs, and get plenty of good fats. Always a good place to start.

Eat plenty of veggies.

What is your training like? What are you eating now?
    Four Miles a day on weekdays at a 4.5 MPH pace, 6 miles a day on the weekends. Daily moderate weights in a rotating, legs, chest, arms shoulders/back thing they have on the B Board at the gym I go to.
    I eat pretty clean most of the time. No Fast Food, lots of eggs, grilled beef, baked chicken and occasionally baked fish. No pasta, white potatoes or rice. So it's clean, I just eat enormous portions when I do eat. Usually I'm getting in about one and a half meals a day.
    I have an extremely slow metabolism and have Hashimoto's so my thyroid is shot and it is kind of fighting me all the way.
    I will check out what you guys have suggested, thanks.
    Last edited by Averageman; 01-15-17 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The question is what is the purpose of a "diet" ... to get in shape, or to lose weight?

To lose weight the secret is to eat less than you burn. The best way to get through the weight loss phase is to get rid of the weight, ASAP. One you hit your weight goal, you can resume a more "normal" diet carefully monitoring your intake and what, for you, results in weight gain. You can get the excercise going at this point and work on building up muscle, if you desire, or cardio (which is better for weight maintenance) or best yet, a combination of both.

But you have to dump the weight first.

My opinion, FWIW.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin1776 View Post
    Check out "Shape Reclaimed" ... it works. Not rocket science, actually, just a whole-life reprogramming with the goal being to reset your metabolism, etc. In Phase I, if you are on the FastTrac option you basically are eating under 1,000 calories a day, more like around 500-600 and the goal is to get your body to consume its own yellow fat (the nasty stuff you don't want or need). You drink a shit-ton of water every day. You eliminate all fat, sugar and carbs and are basically eating fresh vegetables (four cups a day), two fruits, and 8 ounces of protein a day. You also take their "drops" which some say are comparable to the HCG stuff (which is illegal now). You do NOT excercise, or only a little. The goal is to dump as much of your body's fat as possible as quickly as possible. You can stay in Phase I as long as it takes to drop as much weight as you want. You weight yourself every morning religiously after you get out of bed and have your first morning pee. Once you dump the weight you move into...

Phase II...a period of time where you are really reprogramming yourself and your body to eat healthy. You will be slowly, very slowly, reintroducing things to your diet and watching carefully to see what starts to add weight back. You are setting what the best maintenance diet is for you.

The program focusses on an anti-inflammatory diet and really training yourself to eliminate forever a high fat, processed food diet, that has tons of carbs in it (starchy carbs), etc. It's hard because Americans love their super fatty, carb, sugary, processed foods.

I got into the diet after a number of my friends did and lost an amazing amount of weight.

ShapeReclaimed is administered by chiropractic and homeopathic doctors. You get your urine checked regularly, etc.

Give it a whirl. It's been working for great for me. BUT the key is to realize while the weight loss is quick and dramatic, the actual goal is a total life adjustment to eliminate the crap we stuff in our pie holes that winds up clogging our arteries, livers, and guts.
    Sorry but this is just terrible advice. Not attacking you, but the plan itself. Eating under 1000 cals per day is severely under-nourished and if done for too long will lead to metabolic adaptation where you will eventually begin to gain weight even at that level of restriction. From there, it would be a long road to getting your metabolism back on track and functioning properly. I have no doubt that you lost weight in that first phase...it would be impossible not to...but you certainly didn't lose JUST fat. You lost a high amount of muscle tissue along with that. I would bet that even in the second phase you're still under-nourished (especially for a 210# male), but I don't want to assume. Bottom line is you don't need to do "extreme dieting" with "magic drops" to reprogram your system to see results. It's as simple as eating the right total caloric intake per day in the proper macronutrient profile. Simple and no starving yourself.

OP, if you're interested, PM me if you want to talk more. I'm actually just starting a nutrition coaching company teaching these principles.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin1776 View Post
    The question is what is the purpose of a "diet" ... to get in shape, or to lose weight?

To lose weight the secret is to eat less than you burn. The best way to get through the weight loss phase is to get rid of the weight, ASAP. One you hit your weight goal, you can resume a more "normal" diet carefully monitoring your intake and what, for you, results in weight gain. You can get the excercise going at this point and work on building up muscle, if you desire, or cardio (which is better for weight maintenance) or best yet, a combination of both.

But you have to dump the weight first.

My opinion, FWIW.
    Why on earth would you have to dump weight first (ie, starve yourself...according to your first post) in order to partake in a "normal" diet? Please help this make sense to me...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Sorry but this is just terrible advice. Not attacking you, but the plan itself. Eating under 1000 cals per day is severely under-nourished and if done for too long will lead to metabolic adaptation where you will eventually begin to gain weight even at that level of restriction. From there, it would be a long road to getting your metabolism back on track and functioning properly. I have no doubt that you lost weight in that first phase...it would be impossible not to...but you certainly didn't lose JUST fat. You lost a high amount of muscle tissue along with that. I would bet that even in the second phase you're still under-nourished (especially for a 210# male), but I don't want to assume. Bottom line is you don't need to do "extreme dieting" with "magic drops" to reprogram your system to see results. It's as simple as eating the right total caloric intake per day in the proper macronutrient profile. Simple and no starving yourself.

OP, if you're interested, PM me if you want to talk more. I'm actually just starting a nutrition coaching company teaching these principles.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd be interested in knowing your medical/educational credentials before I would be willing to consider your remarks valid on the subject of this kind of diet. The fact is that this diet does work tremendously for a LOT of people who otherwise have failed to lose weight on nearly every other "diet" out there. Your understanding of the SHAPE Reclaimed diet apparently is minimal to non-existent.

I'd suggest that the OP consult with a SHAPE Reclaimed practioner and speak to them about it. I highly doubt a gun forum is the best way to see definitive opinions. Go check it out for yourself, rather than taking either my word or the word of a person who is "starting a nutrition coaching company."

Best of luck to you.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Four Miles a day on weekdays at a 4.5 MPH pace, 6 miles a day on the weekends. Daily moderate weights in a rotating, legs, chest, arms shoulders/back thing they have on the B Board at the gym I go to.
    I eat pretty clean most of the time. No Fast Food, lots of eggs, grilled beef, baked chicken and occasionally baked fish. No pasta, white potatoes or rice. So it's clean, I just eat enormous portions when I do eat. Usually I'm getting in about one and a half meals a day.
    I have an extremely slow metabolism and have Hashimoto's so my thyroid is shot and it is kind of fighting me all the way.
    I will check out what you guys have suggested, thanks.
    Large meals are horrible for your metabolism. Cram a bunch of food in your stomach and your digestion grids to a halt. I'd suggest much smaller meals and more of them.

Is 4.5mph a walking pace or a jog for you? Don't be one of those people holding on the treadmill the whole time. If you can't keep whatever speed with your arms swinging naturally at your side, then lower the speed/incline until you can. Its a cheat that really limits people's progress by robbing them of doing actual work. You can see the effect of this on a heartrate monitor.

I'd loose those long activities first off and go to intervals. If you can't run due to a physical problem, you can always do intervals on the bike. Start easy with something like 2:00 easy then 1:00 hard. A lot of treadmills and bikes have interval programs.

I highly doubt you're in a range heartrate wise where you're going to be getting any real benefit to long steady state workouts. The fat burning zone thing is probably one of the most misleading things going. Your body has probably become very well acclimated to those long activities. Intervals are a outstanding way of breaking through barriers.

Also don't think interval workouts have to be limited to cardio equipment. There are tons of HIIT / interval workouts out there, Google will get you tons of info.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast