Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson SuperMag and others: who's shooting them?

Feedback Score

Dan Wesson SuperMag and others: who's shooting them?

I've browsed through the sub- forums a bit and have seen much about the DW revolvers. Who's got one and how do you like it? If you have a SuperMag where are you getting your SM/max brass from?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'm interested in seeing the responses on the supermag. I haven't thought of those in a long time. When I was a kid a friend of the family who was a local cop had one and it was a monster.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have one. I bought several hundred .357 Maximum cases for it like 15 or more years ago. It is fun to shoot.
    I minimize the maximum rounds because of the gas cutting to the frame. It shoots regular magnum rounds fine and does not appear to gas cut the frame.

What specifically are you curious about?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have one. I bought several hundred .357 Maximum cases for it like 15 or more years ago. It is fun to shoot.
    I minimize the maximum rounds because of the gas cutting to the frame. It shoots regular magnum rounds fine and does not appear to gas cut the frame.

What specifically are you curious about?
    From what I've read in relation to gas cutting specifically with the DW models, you don't have the gas cutting when running 180gr bullets with SM/Max loads which from my understanding is what it was designed for. Running the the lighter bullets is when problems come into play. I'm no expert on the matter but have seen that info in more than one place.
    I'm not really interested in any specific thing, just noticed DW wasn't getting much attention here and wondered if many members owned any and what they liked/disliked if they did. I do have a hard time finding sources for SM or Max brass though. I've seen somewhere that you can make them out of cut down 30-30 cases but that person didn't elaborate much on the process. Anyone heard of that before?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The only Max loads I have ever shot are 180 grain XTPs, so I don't know where the info you heard comes from but these are the loads that did the cutting.

I have no idea how you could cut down a 30-30...the maximum cases are the same base as the .357 magnum/.38SPL, which the 30-30 is not.

All that said, I do like mine a lot. It has a beautiful, deep, wet looking blues finish. Smooth action, shoots very well. I would like to find a smith who could "bolster" the frame to minimize or stop the cutting--then I would shoot it a lot more.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 01-18-17 at 18:04.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Yeah idk then, I just remember read somewhere that there was rifle brass you could cut down to length and was the same size as an option since its a little harder to get, for some reason 30-30 stuck out but that must not have been it. If i can find it I'll post a link. The link below is where I got the notion of it gas issue being related to loads.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-supermag.html
    http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/...flame-cutting/

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hey, thanks for the links! My cut is way less than the one in that OP. Now I have a resource for my DW.

Also, reading that link, I am no longer concerned with shooting mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Vibrant86 View Post
    Yeah idk then, I just remember read somewhere that there was rifle brass you could cut down to length and was the same size as an option since its a little harder to get, for some reason 30-30 stuck out but that must not have been it. If i can find it I'll post a link. The link below is where I got the notion of it gas issue being related to loads.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...-supermag.html
    http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/...flame-cutting/
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    No problem! From what hear you have to try really hard to mess those guns up, supposed to like tanks. I've also read that using ball power can contribute to the problem if you're reloading. They suggested IMR-4227 for high velocity. AA MP-5744 for lower velocity. Now I wish I can find the article about the brass, finding SuperMag brass is like trying to find a unicorn.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I bought my brass, my dad and I accidentally ran across it at a gun show back in like 2002ish. I already had the gun but just shot magnum rounds until I loaded up the maximums.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Just an FYI, Starline now makes the 357 Max brass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast