Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Method to Time your Dry Fire Training

Feedback Score

Best Method to Time your Dry Fire Training

Hey everyone I recently started playing around with some apps to see if there was something I could use to time my dry fire training. I found that using my laser training rounds and a few apps I could replicate the type of timed drills I would normally do on the range. Now you can't do follow up shots because there is no recoil control, but there was quite a lot I could practice. Reloads, Presentations, transitions etc. Let me know what you all think if you like it. http://www.tierthreetactical.com/3-a...ds-of-dollars/
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical

Feedback Score
    Cool post. Does the surefire app hear the dry fire?

Feedback Score
    An ez way to go is to use a metronome. Go on a click, complete your task on or before the next click. You don't need to buy anything, the internet has all the bpm's you could need.

You'll find yourself using non-musical numbers. For example, if you want to draw and perfectly dry fire on target in 1.7 seconds, that's like 35 bpm. Wanna reload an ak in 3.5 seconds, that's 17 bpm.

Feedback Score
    No the surefire won't hear it. Mainly its just used to let you practice hearing a beep and executing a drill. The Video Stop watch is where you would get the time for the movement.

Feedback Score
    I've heard of metronome drills and thats something I'm going to be looking into. Apparently they are good for trigger control drills.

Feedback Score
    Developing trigger control is what first gave me the idea. I was at the skill level where I could keep my glock perfectly still before, during, and after going clicky, but only if I went slow. Iirc at the time I required about 1.5 seconds to avoid any mistakes. Looking back on it, challenging myself with a metronome was a major landmark in the development of my skills.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjackson@tierthreetac View Post
    No the surefire won't hear it. Mainly its just used to let you practice hearing a beep and executing a drill. The Video Stop watch is where you would get the time for the movement.
    It hears mine. Maybe you don't have the sensitivity adjusted right.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    It hears mine. Maybe you don't have the sensitivity adjusted right.
    Mine too. I was just playing with it a few days ago. It picked it up easier than I expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The surefire picks up some pistols better than others. My P30 is no problem, 1911s work okay too. The Glock has to be right up on it, and the VP9 almost has to be touching.

I use both the shot timer and the metronome. The first is more of a test, the latter is for practice. I highly recommend Ben Stoeger's book of dry firing drills.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I my glock was probably about three feet from my phone, and I had a box fan running...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast