Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: $1500 to spend on hunting/SPR

Feedback Score
    I'd def pick one of the DD. Given the price of the Barrett, along with their rep, it makes no sense why you don't see them more. That alone is a flag. They may be fine, however.

I've never heard ANYTHING BCM being "hit or miss".

As far as accuracy, at the range you stated, you won't notice much if any difference during a practical application such as hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

$1500 to spend on hunting/SPR

Delete.
    Last edited by mballz23; 01-24-17 at 16:32.
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    The BCM RECCE 18 seems to fit my wants perfectly. How's BCM's attention to detail compared with DD? If I could handle 1000 rifles from each manufacturer, which would have the most consistent fit & finish? I ask because there's very little chance that I'd be able to handle the BCM before buying. Thanks again fellas

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    [QUOTE=Mainelymark;2444778]
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Just curious, why 18" instead of 16" barrel?

Thanks for the help fellas. I was wanting the 18" over the 16" primarily for the profile/heavier barrel rather than length. Secondly for the bit more fps at longer range. I just figured that a longer heavier barrel should be a bit more accurate especially over 300 yds (target not for deer). All shots on deer would be under 100.

I am only interested in a complete rifle. I'm sure it's irrelevant, but I'm afraid of having slop, even minimal, between the upper and lower. More than anything it's because it would bother my OCD. And....I figure there's a reason folks glass bed their bolt guns, ....they want the most rigid platform possible.

I've looked into the BCM RECCE 18 KMR-A. I'ts a 1:8 instead of 1:7. Dunno if that matters on a heavy bullet or not. I've also read that the BCM barrels can be hit or miss. Lastly, I can't find one in stock anywhere online.
    300 yards is a chip shot for any length barrel. Even for a 12". If you aren't shooting at over 600 you are worrying about nothing. If you have never shot an AR before you are also worrying about nothing. 16, 18, 22 isn't going to help or hurt you.

A complete rifle isn't going to guaranty you a rock solid fit between the upper and lower. Even if it comes tight after 15 or 20 times opening and closing it won't be tight anymore. If that bothers you stick to a bolt gun.

1 in 7 or 8 isn't a deal breaker either. All barrels are hit and miss to a degree. You will find 1/7 barrels that like 50 grain pills and 1/9 that like 77's. It's up to you to find what a barrel likes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mainelymark: I get the OCD, but bedding the action of a bolt gun has little relevance to building an accurate AR.

Ask yourself this question, if the lower of an AR has that much impact on accuracy, why do White Oak Armament and Compass Lake Engineering, two of the big names in service/match rifle competition, focus on selling uppers, rather than complete rifles?

The obvious answer is that the accuracy of an AR lives in the upper.

If you are worried about minor wiggle use an accu-wedge (the name is mainly marketing) or get a #21 o-ring (hardware store) and put it around the front lug of the receiver.

I would feel confident that you will get good performance out of a quality upper and virtually ANY lower receiver.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 01-24-17 at 17:29.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    As others have said even a complete gun doesn't guarantee there will be no wiggle. You also avoid the tax by not getting a complete gun.

You could always get the upper of your choice and then build something like a mega lower which will come with the tensioning screw to adjust the tightness between the receivers. But

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    You guys are great. Thanks. So, wiggle ain't a big deal. 1:7 vs 1:8 aint a big deal. Barrel length aint a big deal.....

What about barrel profile? I was going for the DD's 18" to get the heavier barrel. If it really doesn't matter for accuracy, why do target rifles or mk12's have a thicker barrel?

All this opens up many more possibilities. What do you guys think about the BCM recce 16 KMR A precision vs say a DDM4 16"? Which would most likely be more accurate? The recce has a heavier barrel.

Feedback Score
    Just came in to add to the echo. If I was buying right now for your purpose, it would be a bcm recce ss 16".

My friend has an 18 that is very accurate, but heavy. 2" of steel off the front is noticeable, the velocity won't be at those distances (300).

Fit and finish is irrelevant and not garunteed, no matter how you buy. AR is not a bolt gun. Do not confuse the 2 - completely different ways of achieving results.

What kind of accuracy so you want? Don't say "most accurate possible", give us a number to quantify your expectations. Give us a range.

As far as dd cs bcm, I'd choose bcm. Thats based off perception I've picked up on here over the years. I have friends with rifles from both, they both perform well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelymark View Post
    You guys are great. Thanks. So, wiggle ain't a big deal. 1:7 vs 1:8 aint a big deal. Barrel length aint a big deal.....

What about barrel profile? I was going for the DD's 18" to get the heavier barrel. If it really doesn't matter for accuracy, why do target rifles or mk12's have a thicker barrel?

All this opens up many more possibilities. What do you guys think about the BCM recce 16 KMR A precision vs say a DDM4 16"? Which would most likely be more accurate? The recce has a heavier barrel.

Barrel profile is primarily a balance between weight and heat tolerance. There are other factors in there like harmonics and whip, but they are minor enough that 99% of users aren't going to notice them. Lighter profiles are for rifles that will be carried often, shot moderately, and do not have a high need for sustained precision. Heavy profiles are for rifles that need to sustain higher levels of precision over longer strings of shots, or will see high levels of heat in general.

If you don't plan on carrying the rifle in the field, there isn't much harm in getting the heavier (or longer) barrel just because. If you are looking for a balance between comfortable carry and precision, then the answer lies somewhere in the middle (say, a hybrid profile like the ones from Criterion, for example).

Frankly, there isn't going to be much a difference between the two you posted. I tend towards BCM because I engage in a bit of brand loyalty. Both companies are quality, and both rifles are more accurate than 99% of the people shooting them.

Edit to add: You mention hunting, which implies a field rifle. Be careful of using stainless barrels in very low temperatures. 416R stainless will fare better in cold temperatures than 410, but either one will require a heavier profile.
    Last edited by BrigandTwoFour; 01-24-17 at 18:30.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    OP, what is your expectation of precision?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast