Thread: Midwest Industries New 308 Pistol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Midwest Industries New 308 Pistol

Midwest Industries 308 rifles have been very successful for us in 2016, and so for 2017 we will now be offering a 308 pistol.
    These still have a Criterion barrel and are impressively accurate, but also are compact enough to keep in your vehicle or on our ATV.

Trijicon V-COG optic not included

• .308 chambered
    • Forged upper and lower 7075 receivers
    • Accepts SR-25 pattern magazines
    • MI Bolt carrier group
    • MI 12 inch handguard configured for M-LOK™ system
    • Criterion 13.5 inch stainless nitride finish 1/10 twist barrel
    • MI two chamber enhanced muzzle brake
    • Sig Pistol Brace
    • Magpul® grip
    • One Magpul® 10 round magazine
    • Weighs 8.0 lbs empty
    Magpul® and M-LOK™ are trademarks of Magpul Industries Corp
    • MI LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
    • 100% MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Out of curiosity and not trying to be rude, but what is the purpose of this?

Under what conditions would a 308 pistol benefit over a 5.56?

If I need 308 I would like a full size and really can't think of a scenario where a SBR or pistol would be best over a smaller caliber in a smaller gun.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post

If I need 308 I would like a full size and really can't think of a scenario where a SBR or pistol would be best over a smaller caliber in a smaller gun.
    First of all if I was driving down the highway and ended up in a situation where I quickly needed a gun I can not think of a situation where I would wish I had less gun.

Second, being a pistol many states allow this firearm to be left loaded in your vehicle unlike a rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Industries View Post
    First of all if I was driving down the highway and ended up in a situation where I quickly needed a gun I can not think of a situation where I would wish I had less gun.

Second, being a pistol many states allow this firearm to be left loaded in your vehicle unlike a rifle.

Out of theses barrels what is the difference in bullet velocity over a full size barrel?

Feedback Score
    Out of theses barrels what is the difference in bullet velocity over a full size barrel?
    Hold off on the "Google is your friend." remarks about ballistic tables till I go get the popcorn.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I realize you are all delta tier one operators here but there are guns that do fill a niche . The reason we built these is We have a bunch of customers that not only wanted these for a vehicle gun with extra punch but also they can also hunt with these in shot gun zones . 7.62 works much better than 5.56 on DEER . The comment I dont know what you need that for for is stupid . Its AMERICA thats why . Because we can and because guys want them . NUFF SAID.
    Troy
    MI

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Industries View Post
    I realize you are all delta tier one operators here but there are guns that do fill a niche . The reason we built these is We have a bunch of customers that not only wanted these for a vehicle gun with extra punch but also they can also hunt with these in shot gun zones . 7.62 works much better than 5.56 on DEER . The comment I dont know what you need that for for is stupid . Its AMERICA thats why . Because we can and because guys want them . NUFF SAID.
    Troy
    MI
    I'm not claiming to be an operator, I'm just trying to understand the math. I can't find a ballistic chart for a 308 with anything less than a 16 barrel, I'm curious have you taken a chronograph to the rifle?

At around 16 inches you are getting the same exit velocity as 77gr in a 10 inch 5.56 gun, which brings us to a topic similar to the 45 v 9 debate. More ammo because it's smaller or larger ammo because it's bigger but not really benefiting over the smaller ammo.

Now again that's a 16 inch 308, no one that I can find has the data for anything less than that. I'm assuming because all your powder doesn't get a chance to burn decreasing your muzzle velocity to such a point where it stops making sense to fire such a large bullet out of such a small gun.

And I never said "I don't know what you need that for" what I actually said was "what is the purpose of this?" Followed up with, "Under what conditions would a 308 pistol benefit over a 5.56?"

Im trying to grasp the small gun mentality w/ a larger bullet when similar results can be achieved with something we already have that is better suited for the smaller guns.

At what distance to you expect the rifle to be used?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    These are pistols. I would say effective range is 300 yards. These guns are extremely accurate with the barrel that we use. 1.0 inch or under with a magnified optic and good shooter. I am not going to use this for A LONG Range type use. Here in WI most hunting situations never get over 100 yards and if i had to use this as a truck gun I would hope I would be able to engage closer than 300 . If you did use one of these for self defense and loaded it with say Barnes triple shock that would be very nasty . I am sure some will SBR these and like I mentioned we can hunt and carry them loaded in our cars with our CCW PERMIT. We have not put these on a chronograph as of yet . We have just tested for accuracy and reliability .
    thanks
    TROY
    MI

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Looks pretty cool!
    Looking forward to hearing how they do.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com