Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Career advice - what would you do?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

Career advice - what would you do?

You're a mediocre CPA that is currently working Fourteen hours a day six days a week sitting in a conference room with four people as miserable as you are. You sit in a shitty chair that forces you into a terrible posture while staring into neverending excel spreadsheets with only brief interruptions when the intern shows up with lunch and dinner. When you're not working so much in the fall you're at college campuses recruiting which is pretty useless now that you're committed to someone who's pretty awesome anyway.

Lots of guys making 125k but the extra average $400k stuff doesn't start til year 15-25 and only if you are close enough to the cash register. By that point you're still gonna be working 60hrs a week *every week* and you're all washed up at 45 having watched your kids entire childhood via your 6" iPhone screen.

Today at work you heard a junior partner call his son. His 4yo son didn't understand why he couldn't see him. The dude Works so often that he facetimes with his kids so much they don't even know what a phone call is. Pass.

You've thought about local LE work but don't have the temperament and maturity for the 60% pay cut. D.C. Sucks and you don't **** wth snow so the Fed seems out. You can't even go into the .mil and impress boot 2ndLts with your previously earned rack for another year or so because you had orthopedic surgery last summer and there's a 2yr "wait" period.

You've been looking at buying farmland in your area to live on. Lots of stuff you can afford around 10-15 acres but it's all far from work and you can't be driving 2 hours a day when you work 14.

Asking for a friend.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You're a mediocre CPA that is currently working Fourteen hours a day six days a week sitting in a conference room with four people as miserable as you are. You sit in a shitty chair that forces you into a terrible posture while staring into neverending excel spreadsheets with only brief interruptions when the intern shows up with lunch and dinner. When you're not working so much in the fall you're at college campuses recruiting which is pretty useless now that you're committed to someone who's pretty awesome anyway.

Lots of guys making 125k but the extra average $400k stuff doesn't start til year 15-25 and only if you are close enough to the cash register. By that point you're still gonna be working 60hrs a week *every week* and you're all washed up at 45 having watched your kids entire childhood via your 6" iPhone screen.

Today at work you heard a junior partner call his son. His 4yo son didn't understand why he couldn't see him. The dude Works so often that he facetimes with his kids so much they don't even know what a phone call is. Pass.

You've thought about local LE work but don't have the temperament and maturity for the 60% pay cut. D.C. Sucks and you don't **** wth snow so the Fed seems out. You can't even go into the .mil and impress boot 2ndLts with your previously earned rack for another year or so because you had orthopedic surgery last summer and there's a 2yr "wait" period.

You've been looking at buying farmland in your area to live on. Lots of stuff you can afford around 10-15 acres but it's all far from work and you can't be driving 2 hours a day when you work 14.

Asking for a friend.
    Brother..Id tell your friend to lay that at Jesus Christ's feet. That's right up his alley.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would seriously consider going in to business for myself.
    Move somewhere rural, but near enough to a business center and do your own recruitment.
    In five years you'll be home and someone else will be working the suck hours.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Life is too short to spend all your time being miserable. 20 years ago I had a pretty cool job but travelled a lot. Got married and had to decide if family or work/income was the priority. Nothing we can tell you will make that decision for you. Good luck. David

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Bro, I need to simmer on this shit.

Because today I wanted to throw my paperwork errywhere, pop deuces, and light a cigarette on the way out.

But dat money doe...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You know my heart on the matter.

Here's what I would do in said Paradigm:

-Make super nice with current employer and keep my rolodex up to date.

-Suck it up for three if not four more years and ferret away a go to hell fund.

-Settle for semi-rural, like a 60% solution. Possibly tricky given your AO.

-Try to set up a way to work from home.

If it doesn't work, you can live on savings and move back.

Currently I would not recommend LE work dor reasons I've stated both public and private. It is NOT what it used to be and never will.

I think what you may be going through is some Hemingway. It happens. You get in the Hemingway and you want to do something.....not something radical necessarily, but where you still have a "hand" in things.

It's a tar baby. It's that urge mixed with frustration.

And a lot of people go through it.

It's like "holy shit, there's a free, unorganized world out here...now what?"

Also never start a Fight Club. It never works out like you think.

Also phuck DC and NoVA coming straight from the underground.

Just my friendly advice. A life lived is a life lived.

ETA And don't binge watch Quarry, Taxi Driver, or Death Wish. It never helps.
    Last edited by Firefly; 02-16-17 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like your friend and my friend are in the same situation. My friend looked into CBP but the pay is less than he's making now and there's a chance to be stuck in NY or Cali

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Only you can decide between happiness and money! As an old guy the best advice I can give you is to avoid debt and chasing your dick.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Only you can decide between happiness and money! As an old guy the best advice I can give you is to avoid debt and chasing your dick.
    Done that. Zero debt. Zero stds. Zero drama.

Life would be great right now if I got to see the sun M-Sat
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-16-17 at 18:26. Reason: I meant my friend

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Brother..Id tell your friend to lay that at Jesus Christ's feet. That's right up his alley.
    Hard to beat this advice..from a Straight Shooter no less.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast