Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Digital Mobile Radio - DMR

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    One of the pluses to DMR for field use is that it, generally, has better range than analog radios like the 148/152.

The only negative to DMR is that the radios are not cheap.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Digital Mobile Radio - DMR

Take a look at the Connect Systems radios if you want to get your feet went in DMR. I have the CS750 and have used it since it first came out 2 years or so ago. It feels solid in the hand and I've used it simplex and off our extensive DMR repeated network here. CS has since put out a few more models since then but I can't attest to their quality since I haven't personally played with them.

You can go Motorola if your budget allows and I've heard nothing but good things about them other their price point.

With respect to D-Star, IMO it's the better technology with respect to its ability to essentially connect to any reflector vs the pre-designated DMR setup. The downside is it hasn't been adopted as well in most areas with maybe the exception of California and the U.K.

DMR wins in practicality IMO.
    Last edited by veeref; 02-26-17 at 15:37.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I just picked up an Icom 7100, and I am about to get going with D-Star. The guys in my area have gotten started with it in the last few months, and are really liking it. I still haven't upgraded yet, so this is currently my best option for staying in touch with them when I am away. I almost pulled the trigger on an 857D last month, but I'm glad that I held off. I am still interested in doing some portable HF operating in the future, so I may still end up getting one. There may be something better by the time that happens, though.

Kenwood's new HT looks pretty interesting for D-Star use. I have got my 9 yo really interested in getting his license. The thing that really has him sold, is having a way of talking to me while I'm gone in a way that his mom can't.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Nice. The 7100 is loaded-to-the-gills with features.

Digital voice over HF would be absolutely cool to experiment with.

Now that those assholes at Icom re-released the 7200, it's going to be hard for me to jump on the D-STAR train until I score the 7200.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    I just picked up an Icom 7100, and I am about to get going with D-Star. The guys in my area have gotten started with it in the last few months, and are really liking it. I still haven't upgraded yet, so this is currently my best option for staying in touch with them when I am away. I almost pulled the trigger on an 857D last month, but I'm glad that I held off. I am still interested in doing some portable HF operating in the future, so I may still end up getting one. There may be something better by the time that happens, though.

Kenwood's new HT looks pretty interesting for D-Star use. I have got my 9 yo really interested in getting his license. The thing that really has him sold, is having a way of talking to me while I'm gone in a way that his mom can't.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    My dick is officially as hard as diamond over this:

http://m.urgentcomm.com/hytera/hyter...timode-handset
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 05-26-17 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That reminds me of the old Motorola phones from around 2000, with the push to talk feature. I was working construction and playing a college student at the time, but those were pretty awesome for the time I thought. You know, without the touchscreen and camera and other cool stuff, of course.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've still got a couple of the old Nextels laying around.

The big slam dunk for this is going to be integrated DMR with cellular telephony/innate data sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    That reminds me of the old Motorola phones from around 2000, with the push to talk feature. I was working construction and playing a college student at the time, but those were pretty awesome for the time I thought. You know, without the touchscreen and camera and other cool stuff, of course.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I've still got a couple of the old Nextels laying around.

The big slam dunk for this is going to be integrated DMR with cellular telephony/innate data sharing.
    If the cost is reasonable this might get me into DMR. Much activity locally?

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    My dick is officially as hard as diamond over this:

http://m.urgentcomm.com/hytera/hyter...timode-handset
    Sick!!!!!

This really takes advantage of the wide area broadband you were talking about previously. This is a robust piece to the C4I capability. Is this doable price wise? $600-$800ish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    There's a pretty decent amount of local activity.

The coverage from the local repeaters is pretty phenomenal. Pretty much all of the metro area has coverage and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    If the cost is reasonable this might get me into DMR. Much activity locally?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast