Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Houston M4C members

Feedback Score

Houston M4C members

Houston area members join up for possible training opportunities!
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 11-05-09 at 22:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Houston/Webster area when I am on leave... Nov 18!

Also, lets note if anyone is a member of a private range.

PSC Range for me.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Houston.

Member of PSC. Will possibly gain access to The Impact Zone in the future.

Feedback Score
    I was considering joining Impact Zone as well. Bit of a drive for myself so I was leaning toward Thunder Tactical in Conroe. I may just have to suck it up and hit the highway. How many times a month do you guys get out to the ranges?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a Houstonian a few days each week, been here about a year and still trying to get my bearings.

Would love to meet fellow shooters as well as maybe do some training.

As of yet, I have not found a decent range in all of Houston. Apart from slack jawed yokels who seem to pass as RSOs to the outrageous range fees to the fact that you can't even use quality targets to the fact that it seems that no one has discovered the concept of the target stand, I have been sadly disappointed in the ranges here in Houston. I won't even dare to dream about falling plates and pepper poppers.

Maybe one of you guys can point me in the right direction? I live in the Woodlands area.
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    Cobra,
    I would think that any range that hosts IDPA events might meet your acceptance criteria. http://www.tts-idpa.com/ is very close to you- and me (Shenandoah here). They are hosting a match this weekend. I had planned to go check it out, but have to travel on business. If you go, let me know what you think.

Feedback Score
    I'm about 7 miles from American Shooting Center & used to train there with MAST until the owner at ASC got a bee in his bonnet and dis-invited MAST from hosting classes there. My understanding is that MAST is going to be able to use some of the other area ranges. If y'all aren't familiar with them, I can ask the guy who runs the show over there to stop by and introduce himself on the forum.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mseanmc View Post
    I'm about 7 miles from American Shooting Center & used to train there with MAST until the owner at ASC got a bee in his bonnet and dis-invited MAST from hosting classes there. My understanding is that MAST is going to be able to use some of the other area ranges. If y'all aren't familiar with them, I can ask the guy who runs the show over there to stop by and introduce himself on the forum.
    By all means. Personally, I'm looking for training opportunities other than "square ranges". The more sources the better. I would like to hear his plans for future events.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
    Cobra,
    I would think that any range that hosts IDPA events might meet your acceptance criteria. http://www.tts-idpa.com/ is very close to you- and me (Shenandoah here). They are hosting a match this weekend. I had planned to go check it out, but have to travel on business. If you go, let me know what you think.
    Frank,

I have been to Thunder Range (went there just the other day). It looked like they had a decent IDPA/Action Pistol set up with several lanes set up for it. Unfortunately, it didn't look like they were set up to let "off the street" people come in and shoot on the ranges. The rest of the range was pretty typical of what I have seen in Houston. The rifle line is set up with benches and really does not afford the shooter a chance to shoot from different positions, prone, sitting, kneeling let alone all the crazy positions the Kyle Lamb teaches. They will let you shoot out to 300 yards, but you are limited to bench shooting and anything over 100 yards will cost you extra. The pistol range is one of the nicer I ones I have seen in Houston. It is set up similar to an indoor range with stringers that allow you to run your targets back and forth on. I'm not sure if they would let you shoot multiple targets there or not - didn't ask.

Prices were steep by my standards, but pretty much on par with the rest of Houston's public ranges. About $10 per gun (plus a premium for 200 and 300 yards), that means to go and shoot a rifle and pistol it will run you $20 minimum.

The targets are the things I don't get. They offer green or orange on white rifle sight in targets or white silhouette targets. It is the same thing I have seen at Hotwells, American Shooting Center, and Carter Country. They all seem to be made by the same company and the ranges all have rules prohibiting you from "marking" your target or modifying it (although I don't think they enforce the marking part). You can't bring your own bullseye, IDPA, or any other targets. Shooting a green and white sight-in target at 200 yards with a carbine and iron sights is a loosing proposition (for me at least). Doesn't anyone in Houston shoot National Match?

OK enough complaining. It looks like Hotwells has a good range (the first one you pass when you enter), but I don't think it is open to walk-ins. I think they use it for training classes. They will let LEOs shoot their duty weapons for free (so if you qualify, that is a nice bonus), but their range otherwise is not very conducive to "serious" training (they won't even let you go down range to check your target).

I did go to a range last year that is out East of Lake Houston which seemed a little more relaxed and was a lot more reasonable as far as prices go. It was a heck of a long drive though.

I don't have a "regular" schedule at work (I'm on call) and I try to spend most of my days off away from Houston, but sometimes I'm just sitting around and would love to get together with some folks and do a little training and meet some fellow "tactically minded" shooters. I try and get to the range 2-3 times per month, usually once per month in Houston and the other two times in California (where I belong to a private range).

Perhaps we should just pick a day and meet at one of the local ranges and go from there?
    Last edited by Cobra66; 11-15-09 at 11:10.
    “The ruling class doesn’t care about public safety. Having made it very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an honest mistake.” – former U.S. Sen. Malcolm Wallop (R-Wy.)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mseanmc View Post
    Matt is already a member, but doesn't post very often. I am a MAST instructor when I am home on leave. The incident with ASC involved a former MAST instructor who went to the range and was shooting near the area MAST uses. He supposedly was video taping himself shooting. When asked by the staff who he was, he claimed he was with MAST. Even after this was explained to the owner, he would not listen.

I will be home on leave in a few days. I do have something planned with MAST for this Sunday I think. It is a free seminar for anyone who has attended a MAST course this year. I am also trying to get Matt to open it up to those who attended the Magpul course which we sponsored.
    ParadigmSRP.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast