Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT MWS vs DD5V4

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)

LMT MWS vs DD5V4

I'm heading to my LGS to return my Delta 5 tomorrow afternoon. I can get a DD5V4 for 1900 or an LMT MWS Mlok for 2150. I intend to do some long range shooting and general plinking with it. If you had to pick a semi auto 308 in this price range, which would you buy and why?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Both are great rifles, but I wouldn't think twice about getting the MWS.

Why? Cause I'm biased and own one. Beyond that it has a one piece chassis that delivers numerous advantages, some significant like barrel swapping, and rigidity, others more small like increased heat dissipation.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Both are great rifles, but I wouldn't think twice about getting the MWS.

Why? Cause I'm biased and own one. Beyond that it has a one piece chassis that delivers numerous advantages, some significant like barrel swapping, and rigidity, others more small like increased heat dissipation.
    My fear is that, from my reading alone, the MWS does not seem to be a good gun for running suppressed (I have a Saker and Sandman S), while the DD has an adjustable gas block. Any thoughts or experience on that?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    If you're not completely over the idea of a bolt gun, the Bergara Premier HMR Pro and Premier LRP are both within that price range, and they are very nice rifles. The Premier series are "semi-custom" rifles and are of a higher build quality than the standard Bergara B-14 series.

A buddy has the LRP in 308 and it's very nice. It's been trouble free and is quite accurate, even with FGMM factory ammo. The action is slick, and they use Rem700 pattern stocks and triggers, so there's an upgrade path down the road if you want it.
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 10-11-19 at 08:02.

Feedback Score
    LMT

Proven system
    Easy barrel & caliber swaps
    Stainless or cl barrels (both shoot very well)
    Barrels and bcg’s are easily sourced
    Low back pressure cans are available

I am biased since I own and shoot A MRP and MWS.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    My fear is that, from my reading alone, the MWS does not seem to be a good gun for running suppressed (I have a Saker and Sandman S), while the DD has an adjustable gas block. Any thoughts or experience on that?
    Excellent concerns, and something that I've haven't dealt with.

I have read copious reports of suppressor use with MWSs, especially in the big MWS thread on here. Most get it figured out, but most do some tweaking to get things perfect. Hopefully some suppressed MWS owners will chime in.

Feedback Score
    LMT and no second thoughts. If “over gassing” is a concern then have a barrel spun up with an adjustable gas block...

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Contrary to everyone's sound advice, I went with the DD5V3 (16" 308).

If I may defend my decision:
    Better out of the box suppressor host. No fumbling with buffers, springs, or having a new barrel made up for me.
    Weight is considerably less than the MWS.
    15" Rail
    Completely Ambi lower, similar to the MARS H
    DD CHF Barrel
    BCG that seems extremely similar to the non-sand cutter SR25

I got it for $1900, got to take it home unlike the special order MWS, and it should fit all my sub 500yd needs for a long time.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Better out of the box suppressor host. No fumbling with buffers, springs, or having a new barrel made up for me.
    15" Rail
    DD CHF Barrel

I got it for $1900, got to take it home unlike the special order MWS, and it should fit all my sub 500yd needs for a long time.
    Congrats on the new blaster. I can't wait to hear what you think of it once you've had some time at the range to get acquainted. I've been wanting one myself since DD announced the new slate of updates.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

15" Rail
    DD CHF Barrel

Looks like an interesting rifle--would've done the same in your shoes. IMHO it's worth giving the DD a chance, they have the track record with the AR platform and seem committed to delivering reliable AR10's with some enhancements vs the LMT. Love what they've done withe the full ambi controls. Also they've been through a couple generations of AR10 platform by now, so hopefully they're getting it dialed in.

If you have time...would be great to see a dedicated running thread with detail pics, and update as you go with a range report. Especially interested to hear about accuracy, and reliability when you run with the suppressed/unsuppressed settings. Was interested the DD decided to go with a simple on/off setting for the gas vs adjustable. Hopefully our DD rep will come along soon and fill us in, but my hunch would be that decision was made for durability/ruggedness and reliability, prioritizing those things over the ability to finely tune the gas.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast