Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Thread: Eotech still a no-go or?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
    This will be my only optic for awhile and the time being so I need to know if I can truly depend on it for serious situations.

It’s between this or Aimpoint PRO for me right now.
    Personally, for me, its a no-brainer....Aimpoint PRO if for no other reason than peace of mind. $499 shipped out the door from Scalarworks and be done with it.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 007Bond View Post
    Man this was quite a read and I’ve been trying to decide the same debate for myself.

I’m not buying eotech for the standard reticle as I prefer a single dot. But I love the corn factor and the window. It’s the best, for me, IMO.

But I too have been trying to get confidence in buying EOTECH after all that went down and the problems/issues. The thermal drift, has been fixed and/or disclosed and I get that. But so many reports of the gas leaking and other failures is hard for me to get past.

This will be my only optic for awhile and the time being so I need to know if I can truly depend on it for serious situations.

It’s between this or Aimpoint PRO for me right now.
    Need a little help understanding your post Mr. 007. What the heck is a "corn factor" For the life of me I have no idea. See you shot down the EL NUMERO UNO reason for owning an EOTech. But you want to own one because of the "Corn Factor". Please explain the tactical relevance of "Corn Factor". Gracias.

I'll be honest. If I had written your post and actually considered, or even worse, purchased an EOTech?

I would have my wife drive me to the VA hospital. I'd wait about 4 hours to see my VA Doc, and I'd say "Doc, you gotta change my medication, or slap some freaking sense into my head." Why do I say that? I'll try to get to the point and I REALLY do not want to come across as a jerk. Most guys know me know I try not to roll like that.
    I’m not buying eotech for the standard reticle as I prefer a single dot. But I love the corn factor and the window. It’s the best, for me, IMO.
    You do realize that the BIGGEST, most prevalent reason a person buys an EOTech is for the reticle? People for darn sure don't buy it for battery life. They darn sure don't buy it because it's lightweight. Nice FoV? Sure, the field of view is nice. But so is the Trijicon MRO and it's a 2 MOA dot. So is the Mepro 21, although it's got a larger 4.x MOA dot. My point is, why buy an EOTech, if you aren't buying it for the fast reticle? The 65 MOA ring is by DESIGN, meant to be the targeting or acquisition reticle for CQB. It ain’t no ranging tool, it’s not designed to provide hold offs. The big old ring is designed for one thing. Put torso in ring, pull trigger. (Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary). Because the large ring can quickly be placed over a target and engaged, the EOTech has the valid reputation of being a “faster optic” than the RDS. Sure the Aimpoint fans will argue that until the last cockroach on earth dies, but they are still wrong and that reputation is still valid. I use that dot for one reason. Zero the weapon. Period. After that, I focus on using the ring when I train. The weapon my EOTechs have been mounted on are built for the close fight.

But so many reports of the gas leaking and other failures is hard for me to get past.
    And if I wrote that? I would not get past it either. the EOTech would not pass Go, nor would it collect $200 bucks. lol Seriously, if you have read all these reports and/or research etc etc like you describe? You should run away from EOTech and don't look back. Do I think you would be making a mistake? No. Because you don't even want to use the optic as it was designed and created to be used. Why "clutter" your reticle if all you're going to use is the dot??
    Go buy an MRO.

As mentioned, I have owned a couple of EOTechs, both EXPS 3's. Both run perfectly. Zero issues. I run it in the hotter than 10 hell's Texas. It bakes in the sun, it bakes in my truck, and it still runs and holds zero.
    I don't have any reports. I don't look for any reports or even internet musings or posts on some website. I use my EOTechs. Do my best to use them the way they were meant to be used. If i needed an optic tomorrow for those same parameters, I'd buy an EOTech in a NY second.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Need a little help understanding your post Mr. 007. What the heck is a "corn factor" For the life of me I have no idea. See you shot down the EL NUMERO UNO reason for owning an EOTech. But you want to own one because of the "Corn Factor". Please explain the tactical relevance of "Corn Factor". Gracias.

I'll be honest. If I had written your post and actually considered, or even worse, purchased an EOTech?

I would have my wife drive me to the VA hospital. I'd wait about 4 hours to see my VA Doc, and I'd say "Doc, you gotta change my medication, or slap some freaking sense into my head." Why do I say that? I'll try to get to the point and I REALLY do not want to come across as a jerk. Most guys know me know I try not to roll like that.

You do realize that the BIGGEST, most prevalent reason a person buys an EOTech is for the reticle? People for darn sure don't buy it for battery life. They darn sure don't buy it because it's lightweight. Nice FoV? Sure, the field of view is nice. But so is the Trijicon MRO and it's a 2 MOA dot. So is the Mepro 21, although it's got a larger 4.x MOA dot. My point is, why buy an EOTech, if you aren't buying it for the fast reticle? The 65 MOA ring is by DESIGN, meant to be the targeting or acquisition reticle for CQB. It ain’t no ranging tool, it’s not designed to provide hold offs. The big old ring is designed for one thing. Put torso in ring, pull trigger. (Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary). Because the large ring can quickly be placed over a target and engaged, the EOTech has the valid reputation of being a “faster optic” than the RDS. Sure the Aimpoint fans will argue that until the last cockroach on earth dies, but they are still wrong and that reputation is still valid. I use that dot for one reason. Zero the weapon. Period. After that, I focus on using the ring when I train. The weapon my EOTechs have been mounted on are built for the close fight.

And if I wrote that? I would not get past it either. the EOTech would not pass Go, nor would it collect $200 bucks. lol Seriously, if you have read all these reports and/or research etc etc like you describe? You should run away from EOTech and don't look back. Do I think you would be making a mistake? No. Because you don't even want to use the optic as it was designed and created to be used. Why "clutter" your reticle if all you're going to use is the dot??
    Go buy an MRO.

As mentioned, I have owned a couple of EOTechs, both EXPS 3's. Both run perfectly. Zero issues. I run it in the hotter than 10 hell's Texas. It bakes in the sun, it bakes in my truck, and it still runs and holds zero.
    I don't have any reports. I don't look for any reports or even internet musings or posts on some website. I use my EOTechs. Do my best to use them the way they were meant to be used. If i needed an optic tomorrow for those same parameters, I'd buy an EOTech in a NY second.
    I see that his post really affected you.

I suspect he meant “form factor” not “corn factor”, and he’s right...the open window tends to encourage a better peripheral view. The reticle?....I don’t know. It’s OK, very usable, but I’m pretty ambivalent. A lot of people see it as “cluttered”, and a lot of people find the notable holographic pixelation to be distracting and a distinct negative. As to his concerns about nitrogen leaking...I’m sympathetic. One of my Eotechs (OPMOD), did have nitrogen loss. It was 8 years old. Eotech readily agreed to fix it for free, but Optics Planet provides a lifetime warranty on the device so they just sent me a new one to replace it.

Eotech makes a good sight. I’m pretty confident that the practical effect of temperature-induced POI shift is overblown, but whatever. Eotech stood up in the resolution of that problem. I’d have no problem buying an Eotech again if it wasn’t for the price. The form factor is nice but for me the reticle is neither a positive nor negative. Net result, for me, ... at 30% cheaper I’d go with the Aimpoint PRO every time if I was in the market for a new RDS. The pluses and minuses between the two don’t balance out in in justifying the price premium.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-10-18 at 06:31.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Without question, the EoTech is superior to the Aimpoint. I have the EXPS3-0 and a T-2. Much prefer the EoTech. Haters are going to hate. Good for me I don't care what others think.

The reticle on the EoTech is superlative.

Battery life? Give me a break. If you can't swap out a battery every so often, you shouldn't own a gun. Go check your smoke detector.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    2017 built XPS. Running on same battery it came with last year. Kept the battery in the optic purposely to track drainage during storage. No issues to report. Charlie Mike.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I see that his post really affected you.

I suspect he meant “form factor” not “corn factor”, and he’s right...the open window tends to encourage a better peripheral view. The reticle?....I don’t know. It’s OK, very usable, but I’m pretty ambivalent..
    Are you serious? “Form factor”??? I guess the ‘c’ and ‘f’ are close to each other. Lol@myself.

I thought it was some new word describing something cool or whatever.

i really need I stay away from those 0200-0400 posts.

I didn’t consider that his choice of optic was being driven by how it looked vs. function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Without question, the EoTech is superior to the Aimpoint. I have the EXPS3-0 and a T-2. Much prefer the EoTech. Haters are going to hate. Good for me I don't care what others think.

The reticle on the EoTech is superlative.

Battery life? Give me a break. If you can't swap out a battery every so often, you shouldn't own a gun. Go check your smoke detector.
    Heh heh. Without question, GMC is superior to Ford, Mac is superior to Windows...I could go on....

I disagree about the reticle, but do agree that for most people, certainly for me, the battery-life issue is irrelevant. If I was expecting to have to deal with “enemies in the wire” at a moment’s notice then being able to leave my optic on all the time would be an important consideration. Fortunately, my need to immediately and emergently put a rifle into action is at least negligible if not non-existent. Turning on the optic is just one very brief additional step in that process.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-10-18 at 07:27.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Heh heh. Without question, GMC is superior to Ford, Mac is superior to Windows...I could go on....

I disagree about the reticle, but do agree that for most people, certainly for me, the battery-life issue is irrelevant. If I was expecting to have to deal with “enemies in the wire” at a moment’s notice then being able to leave my optic on all the time would be an important consideration. Fortunately, my need to immediately and emergently put a rifle into action is at least negligible if not non-existent. Turning on the optic is just one very brief additional step in that process.
    Newsflash: You can leave your EoTech on all the time too; just like Aimpoint. Sometime, once a month, in line at the chow hall, waiting to call home, in the crapper, during routine weapon maintenance...take a few seconds to put a fresh battery in your optic.

ETA: The EoTech blinks when the battery is going low. When this happens, reach in your pocket, your pack, open up your VFG, grip, stock...and take 15 seconds to put a fresh battery in.
    Last edited by Butch; 06-10-18 at 07:50.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Newsflash: You can leave your EoTech on all the time too; just like Aimpoint. Sometime, once a month, in line at the chow hall, waiting to call home, in the crapper, during routine weapon maintenance...take a few seconds to put a fresh battery in your optic.

ETA: The EoTech blinks when the battery is going low. When this happens, reach in your pocket, your pack, open up your VFG, grip, stock...and take 15 seconds to put a fresh battery in.
    Yeah, whatever. Irrelevant to my needs. I don't eat at a chow hall and don't take my rifle to the crapper with me. I turn my Eotechs and Aimpoints off when I'm done shooting. Your needs may be different.

ETA: I do carry an extra CR123 in the grip in the event the Eotech is blinking, or if my light dims in the event I happen to have a light mounted.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-10-18 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    I have relegated my eotechs to nvg use only at this point. Partially because a better nvg capable red dot doesnt exist yet. If i could pick up an aimpoint dot as fast as i can with my eotech under nvgs I wouldn't own an eotech anymore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast