Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Metal Glock mags for increased capacity flush fit mags adn better reliability...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    One argument I've heard in the past is that the plastic covered metal mags from Glock are more durable because of the plastic coating.
    On this note I'd personally add that it is more than just a plastic coating. I'd say it is the plastic that Glock uses that makes them as durable as they are, which I have heard, though am not certain is the same plastic used in Glock frames. From personal experience KCI mags, which more than a few will parrot are made the same way as Glock factory mags have proven vastly less durable showing signs of wear after only a few range trips being dropped from the gun compared to factory mags that are much older and been treated harsher being dropped on concrete, gravel, and dirt which look much better. Seriously I have glock factory mags that are from 2004 that I have been using that are in better shape than KCI mags that are half that old, several of which compatriots have given up the ghost in training because they are junk plastic, and also aren't nearly as reliable in general use. I'll be one of the ones who doesn't have an issue with glock mags in Glocks since then, for the most part work and work well.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    In my experience, conducting drop tests with various manufacturer's pistol magazines, all metal magazines were the least durable. Mainly damage to feedlips (would fail to function in gun) or damage to the base of magazine/floor plate interface (again failing to function in gun).

That is not to say Glock mags don't fail in these areas, they just fail appreciably less. The biggest failure point I've seen of Glock mags has been with the extended floor plates, namely the +2 extensions. Those came off the magazines a lot.

In my opinion there are pros to an all metal magazine. Smaller grip diameter, a more positive ejection of the magazine and less issues with environmental fouling inside the mag well. However I don't think that is worth it from a durability stand point if the mag you drop bends a feedlip and is inoperable.

I'll take the current, standard Glock magazines without an extension.

Feedback Score
    I'm not seeing a reason to even address this. Not trying to be a jerk, just a non issue for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 09fatbob View Post
    I'm not seeing a reason to even address this. Not trying to be a jerk, just a non issue for me.
    And, yet, you replied anyways. Major FAIL.

HOLY COW PEOPLE!! The whole point I was getting at was increased capacity by increasing internal volume for a more efficient stack. Now it's like you want to burn me at the stake!!

Feedback Score
    Nobody is speaking poorly of you personally. Be at peace. If you want more substance to the discussion, I'll share a concern I have. I don't have the expertise to know how big a deal this is, you be the judge. My concern is that "more efficient stacking", space-wise, could threaten reliability by increasing the round-on-round friction when feeding. Every time a round comes out of a magazine, the top rounds turn against each other. With clean mags, clean ammo, and a good glock mag this is 0% a problem. When you start tweaking things, maybe the odds don't stay 0%?

Just a thought.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Changing capacity alters the fit of the rounds, and would impact the way they feed. I make no claims of being an expert in this area, but the less angle, the easier the feed as they rise through the magazine. I understand followers and taper come into play. I think the idea of a metal magazine makes sense at first, but when you figure in the durability of existing Glock mags, and the costs associated with making a superior magazine in metal, I'm not sure how that plays out in a positive light. Is an all metal mag rated as "superior" worth $35? What about $50? We all have seen the HK mags for the M4 platform, so we know the concept it out there, but again, I don't think it can hold its' own in this area.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TED View Post
    And, yet, you replied anyways. Major FAIL.

HOLY COW PEOPLE!! The whole point I was getting at was increased capacity by increasing internal volume for a more efficient stack. Now it's like you want to burn me at the stake!!
    Looks like u r the one burning people

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy Bunny View Post
    Nobody is speaking poorly of you personally. Be at peace. If you want more substance to the discussion, I'll share a concern I have. I don't have the expertise to know how big a deal this is, you be the judge. My concern is that "more efficient stacking", space-wise, could threaten reliability by increasing the round-on-round friction when feeding. Every time a round comes out of a magazine, the top rounds turn against each other. With clean mags, clean ammo, and a good glock mag this is 0% a problem. When you start tweaking things, maybe the odds don't stay 0%?

Just a thought.
    Those are some good points.

Feedback Score
    Have a great day
    Last edited by 09fatbob; 02-26-17 at 07:53.

Feedback Score
    look into the Magpul Pmags if you want a good high capacity mag that isnt OEM.... while i havent had any issues with the OEM mags.... i also havent had any issues with the Pmag's either and they are more cost friendly

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234