Thread: Effective 22mm muzzle brake?

Feedback Score

Effective 22mm muzzle brake?

Does anyone know of an effective 22mm muzzle brake?

I have a YHM silencer on the way, and one of the rifles I'd like to use it on normally wears a brake. I'd hate to give up the zero-recoil that it has when not suppressed, so I was thinking of trying to have the flash hider portion of the YHM QD mount cut off and welding a brake on instead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'd recommend very very strongly againt modifying ANY supressor component, especially the mount. It is a very precise mechanical lockup, and if it is shifted a few thousandths of an inch you will have a baffle strike inside the can. At that point, bye bye gun, can, $200 tax stamp, and maybe eyeballs if you're not wearing glasses.

No good can come of that. OPS INC makes cans that mount to brakes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Guru
    I'd recommend very very strongly againt modifying ANY supressor component, especially the mount. It is a very precise mechanical lockup, and if it is shifted a few thousandths of an inch you will have a baffle strike inside the can. At that point, bye bye gun, can, $200 tax stamp, and maybe eyeballs if you're not wearing glasses.

No good can come of that. OPS INC makes cans that mount to brakes.
    If you look at the way the YHM can mounts, I don't think your concerns are valid in this particular instance. It aligns on an angled shoulder, not off of the 22mm flash hider.

I would love to see some photos of a baffle strike that destroyed the gun though, that's the first I've ever heard of that happening

In any case, no one seems to make a 22mm muzzle brake, so I'm out of luck.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had Baffle strikes that ruined a can due to improper alignment off a Flash Hider -- did not hurt the host weapon.

I would echo M4Guru's comments on the DO NOT modify a mount.

If you want have a Machinist manufacturer a mount to replace the inital system.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Griz
    If you look at the way the YHM can mounts, I don't think your concerns are valid in this particular instance. It aligns on an angled shoulder, not off of the 22mm flash hider.

I would love to see some photos of a baffle strike that destroyed the gun though, that's the first I've ever heard of that happening

In any case, no one seems to make a 22mm muzzle brake, so I'm out of luck.
    It was a MK12 MOD 0 upper which was going back to Crane to be swapped for a MOD1. The OPS INC can is a poor choice for full-auto fire and we kept dumping mags through it. It took about 4-5 mags until the can got destroyed and a round lodged in the barrel as a result of the heap of scrap metal on the front of the rifle. And we all know what happens when a round is fired when another is stuck in the barrel...KABOOM.

I have not looked closely at the YHM mounting system, it just seems like a bad idea to mess with something requiring that much precision and consistency.

Feedback Score
    I guess if I wanted accurate answers I should have asked "please comment on a mount that you know nothing about".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The mount is kind of irrelevant when you want to put a device directing gas in a completely different direction inside of a supressor, isn't it?

If it wasn't an accurate answer...IE "Don't weld new crap into the system and change the dynamics of it's function" then what were you looking for?

You can't stick a different muzzle device inside the unit and expect it to work and not cause damage. But if you want to try it, by all means. It seems as though your mind is made up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ditto to M4Guru.

I've got experience with suppressed AR's from 4" to 20" and other weapons in various shapes and sizes -- all I can say is that you are going to ruin your can and potentially your firearm by trying to half ass this.