Thread: South Florida?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

South Florida?

[Dr. Nick] Hi everybody! [/Dr. Nick]

So I may be looking at a relocation to South Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) area. I spent 6 years in the Orlando/Space Coast area, but South Florida is another animal for me. The wife grew up in Coral Gables, lived in Kendall for a while, and taught in Homestead for a while so she knows the area . . . I, on the other hand, hail from corn country in the Midwest and still get a little anxiety about the thought of living in Miami. I was hoping the brain trust here could give me some insight.
    • I figure the housing is bad/expensive, just how bad is it? It's creeping up here, but I'm in 3500+ sq-ft, 4/3.5 on .7 acre and that was $300k-ish. Could I even get close to anything like that with a reasonable commute/school opportunities? (Job would be in the Hialeah/Miami Lakes area, I'd like to keep the commute under an hour if possible)
    • If this opportunity wouldn't work out, how good are engineering/program manager/technical type positions in South Florida? I always looked at SFL as a service/tourism based economy that doesn't quite jive with a guy who deals in new product design and manufacturing.
    • How are the shooting facilities down there? Looking at USPSA, 2-Gun (3-gun if I have to) and maybe PRS stuff.
    • Follow-on, how are the training opportunities? Northern Alabama doesn't get much in the way of traveling instructors. I'd like to look at getting a chance for a SouthNarc/Tom Givens class without a plane ticket.
    • Any general suggestions overall for someone who would be looking to make a big move like this?

Anyone that might have some suggestions, I'd gladly accept them.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Don't do it.

Its bad. 3500 SQ Feet 4/3.5 on .7 of an Acre would be $700k+ Depending on the neighborhood. Traffic Sucks, and the only place you would be able to find something reasonably priced with that kind of land would be the Redlands. Southwest Ranches in Broward county is nice, and would keep your drive under 1 hour, but that is $,$$$,$$$.

Shooting down here sucks. Everyone down here is an "instructor" but few are good instructors.

The reality is, if you want to move down here, prepare to downsize. Not sure how long ago your wife was down here, but Miami has changed a lot in the last few years. Traffic has gotten worse than it already was, and people are downright rude. Not a place to raise kids, and absolutely not a place you can relax.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I have lived in Miami for 33 years, and if it wasn't for work, I would have left a long time ago.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve lived in Miami for 25 years and I’m going to have to literally agree with EVERYTHING firefighter said. Unless, it is deathly required for you to move down here. Please, for the love of god. Do not do it. It’s terrible.

Feedback Score
    i love Florida, i love to visit and enjoy the beaches but thats about it, i can live there,
    is it just you and your wife ? if you have kids or planning to have thing. thats another thing you should have to consider, schools and rate of drugs and violence.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shotmeshotu View Post
    i love Florida, i love to visit and enjoy the beaches but thats about it, i can live there,
    is it just you and your wife ? if you have kids or planning to have thing. thats another thing you should have to consider, schools and rate of drugs and violence.
    Yes, my wife and I have a 1 year old. We were looking to get out, even before she got pregnant. Neither of us can tolerate it down here, it’s exactly what fireman described. Just a clustered up, mess of a city (Miami). Even the other cities, that were never too bad, are beginning to get pretty bad, in my opinion. With regards to all the problems Miami has. We just got back from a vacation in Colorado. And, let me tell you, what I wouldn’t give to be able to pick up and move there, TOMORROW haha! Hopefully, someday soon. This place just isn’t conducive to family life, kids, privacy, friendliness, etc. Sorry for the rant!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Seems a pretty obvious answer more or less: if you like what city life has to offer and can stand the downsides, go for it. If you don't dig cities, then don't. The pros/cons are pretty much the same as for any major city. Not sure what you mean by Miami/Fort Lauderdale area as they are two distinct places a fair distance from each the. Fort Lauderdale has a nice balance in terms of what a large metro area has to offer compared to the cons, and there's a number of towns between them to consider that may be the balance you're looking for. I like Fort Lauderdale, Miami, not so much. Unless you have a high paying job waiting for you in Miami, and or just prefer the city, no good reasons to move to Miami I can think of.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I just can't think of a good reason to move South of Lake City. Daughter lives in Tampa, every time I come down here it surprises me that these people don't die more frequently from doing stupid stuff.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk