Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting competition pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Currently I am in the market for a competition pistol.

I have been using my HK VP9 which is a great gun but want to get a pistol dedicated to competition.

I will be shooting local IDPA and 3 gun matches with it. I prefer to keep the caliber 9mm, I am not interested in .40.

After reading through bunches of rule books, it looks like I can use either of the models I am looking at: Glock 34 or an STI DVC Limited.

I realize these are hugely on opposite ends of the price scale. If I go with the G34, I am looking at going with Taran Tactical to get all the modifications up front rather than start with a base and part it together. I could also get a standard 34 and add arts that I would like to change, Glock upgrades with the exception of milling slides and cutting barrels are not out of my realm of ability.

For the STI, I like the idea of getting a gun that I can easily grow into and don't have to go through several guns to get a highly competitive pistol.

Any suggestions for those of you who may have gone down this path already? I appreciate any helpful guidance and input.
    IDPA does not allow race guns, at least not that are obviously race guns, so I assume that STI is out by default.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-22-17 at 18:00.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It would appear you Mr. Brink are correct. I was most definitely thinking 3-gun. So I guess that is that!

Makes my decision easier

With that said, I am interested to hear more on great pistols for IDPA and 3-gun.
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 02-22-17 at 17:05. Reason: Bad memory
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It would appear you Mr. Brink are correct. I was most definitely thinking 3-gun. So I guess that is that!

Makes my decision easier

With that said, I am interested to hear more on great pistols for IDPA and 3-gun.
    I only regularly shot IDPA and in that VP9 as good or better a choice than any in the IDPA division it fits. You can shoot 1911 in IDPA, but it's a different division. When I was regular IDPA I shot 1911s and then an M&P 9mm FS with APEX set up. There was no VP9 at the time, and that's what I would shoot when ever I get back to IDPA. Never had any real interest in three gun personally.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank you for the info Will, the more reading I am doing, I am thinking I will keep the VP9 for IDPA and shoot it in 3 gun until it limits my performance then look for a 3-gun specific rig if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I only regularly shot IDPA and in that VP9 as good or better a choice than any in the IDPA division it fits. You can shoot 1911 in IDPA, but it's a different division. When I was regular IDPA I shot 1911s and then an M&P 9mm FS with APEX set up. There was no VP9 at the time, and that's what I would shoot when ever I get back to IDPA. Never had any real interest in three gun personally.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I will add the Glock 34 is my favorite Glock and I have carried one for years. But after getting the P09, the Glock 34's I have just collect dust in the safe. P09 has better trigger than my $3000 custom Hi Power from C&S and my $2000 one from Novak. It is also more accurate, look for some videos on youtube Joe L. has been shooting it to silly distance. He also now has given up his custom bulls eye 1911 and only shoots P09 or P07. Yes in bullseye and he wins matches.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Not totally off my list, this is still one I would like to take a look at.

Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I will add the Glock 34 is my favorite Glock and I have carried one for years. But after getting the P09, the Glock 34's I have just collect dust in the safe. P09 has better trigger than my $3000 custom Hi Power from C&S and my $2000 one from Novak. It is also more accurate, look for some videos on youtube Joe L. has been shooting it to silly distance. He also now has given up his custom bulls eye 1911 and only shoots P09 or P07. Yes in bullseye and he wins matches.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I see the “what gun” question a lot and I’ve got a stock answer. Shoot what you have. Buy nothing to start except enough mags to finish a COF.
    Don’t overthink the hardware, see what others are using, see what the guys who are winning are using.
    Ask questions. Everyone at a match loves letting other shooters hold, dry fire and shoot their weapons.
    Competition is a great community. Take your time on the decision.
    And whatever you get, guess what, you WILL change at some point to something else.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thank,you very much for the response. I think I was just getting excited about the prospect of a new gun. I am planning to run my VP9 for now and see how things go.

That said, I am interested in continuing to see what people are using for IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by p7fl View Post
    I see the “what gun” question a lot and I’ve got a stock answer. Shoot what you have. Buy nothing to start except enough mags to finish a COF.
    Don’t overthink the hardware, see what others are using, see what the guys who are winning are using.
    Ask questions. Everyone at a match loves letting other shooters hold, dry fire and shoot their weapons.
    Competition is a great community. Take your time on the decision.
    And whatever you get, guess what, you WILL change at some point to something else.
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Yeah, after handling and shooting a little the DVC 3gun, it's a very nice pistol.
    it better be lol

the bench

Feedback Score
    Thank,you very much for the response. I think I was just getting excited about the prospect of a new gun. I am planning to run my VP9 for now and see how things go.

That said, I am interested in continuing to see what people are using for IDPA, USPSA and 3 gun on this forum.
    if it were USPSA I would recommend upgrades like you envisioned...but IDPA is more of a bro/beer league..not something where people need to spend a ton of money on equipment.

your VP9 is perfect for what IDPA is about.

the bench

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast