Thread: White Oak/Geissele/SanTan Precision Build

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

White Oak/Geissele/SanTan Precision Build

Since I’m a relatively new member of the forum and my credentials are - regular guy, likes to shoot- I try to follow the time honored tradition of read more, post less. I’ve found M4C to be a wealth of information that has pointed me in the right direction when it comes to ARs. In the spirit of the custom build forum though I have a rifle I thought I’d write about and post.

I own a few different rifles. I’ve typically assembled my own lowers and added complete uppers. I wanted to try my hand at a ground-up build so I acquired some tools and started buying parts. My previous rifles have all been chrome lined carbines. I wanted to build a precision oriented rifle to use as a learning platform to get into long(er) range shooting.

My goals for the rifle were to be of high quality, consistently shoot MOA or better with good ammo (hopefully), be a test bed for my entry into the world of reloading for accuracy and to be awesome. Like I said I’m just a regular guy and I like awesome guns.

I’m currently range constrained but will be joining a new range that goes out to 1000 yards. Once I’ve switched ranges I’d like to shoot groups on paper out to 600 and if my skills improve I’d like to shoot steel to 1000. These are somewhat arbitrary and open ended since I’m new at this and I don’t know what to expect yet.

I acquired the following parts:

Upper:
    Vltor MUR-1A upper receiver
    White Oak Armament 20” SDM barrel
    Geissele 15” DDC MK4
    Geissele Super Charging Handle
    Sionics Weapon Systems NP3 BCG
    SilencerCo ASR flash hider
    SilencerCo Omega
    SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block
    Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 FFP in an ADM Recon 20 MOA QD mount
    Atlas bipod

Lower:
    SanTan Tactical ambi lower reciever
    Battle Arms Development EPS pin set
    Rainer Arms ambi short throw safety (by Battle Arms Development)
    White Oak Armament lower parts
    Magpul PRS buttstock/BCM rifle receiver extension
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match DMR trigger
    Sprinco Green spring
    BCM Gunfighter grip

If you think that you’ve seen a similar rifle it’s because without knowing it I basically built a nearly identical rifle to Eurodriver, with a couple exceptions.

I’ll explain some of my parts selection.

I chose the SanTan lower mostly because I wanted to try something different from the rest of my forged lowers and I wanted to see if I liked ambi features. I was a little worried about having a lower that uses non standard parts but I went for it. I chose the WOA barrel since they have an excellent reputation and the SDM pattern with the fluting would mitigate a little bit of weight on a heavy rifle as far as ARs go. I considered waiting for a Kri eger. I guess time will tell if I should have held out. I have a few Geissele triggers in other rifles so I was set on trying the NM DMR. I’m a big fan. It’s a great trigger. I chose the MK4 rail due to the rigidity of Geissele rails and the picatinny sections at the end. I expected to shoot it off a bipod and it would make mounting easier. I had originally mounted a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 on it but I pulled that to put on an eventual 6.5 Creedmoor bolt gun. I don’t think I needed that much magnification on a .223 and I wanted a FFP reticle. The SHV fits the bill perfectly I think. I switched to it after reading about Eurodriver’s rifle. My one regret so far is putting an adjustable gas block on it. I thought it would be the icing on the cake to tune it to be a super nice soft shooting gun. I don’t think it was necessary and is superfluous in this application.

I finished the rifle up last summer. I’ve had it to the range several times. I don’t get out as much as I’d like. I first was using the Australian Outback 69gr. Match King load and the IMI Razor Core 77gr. Match King load. I didn’t take pictures of all my groups at first. Just the good ones. This is a 10 round group from last fall using the Australian Outback ammo. I’ve been very happy with the performance of this ammunition, especially considering I get it locally at Cabelas for $12 a box. I don’t always get a result like that but I felt it showed the potential of the rifle. Even with the flier.

The next couple trips my groups fell short. I don’t have pictures but I was getting horizontal stringing and only shooting about 1.5 MOA. I didn’t go through any rigorous barrel break in procedures so I gave it a good but careful cleaning.

My first time back at the range was about 3 weeks ago. I was shooting the Australian Outback ammo again. Conditions were poor for trying to shoot small groups with fairly steady winds with gusts to 20mph. I was shooting off a bipod and rear bag from the bench. The bench is made of 2x4s resting on dirt. The wind would shake the table. I could see my reticle sway about inch to each side of my POA just from the wind. In spite of that I shot what I though were decent groups. I was shooting 5 shot groups rather than 10. Sorry Molon. I felt with the conditions and my skill level that 5 shot groups would be a better indication of the rifle and 10 shot groups would muddy the waters with shooter error. I shot 4 groups. I took pictures of all 4. Incidentally I also have a BCM standard 16” barrel I shot that day with similar results. I’m very happy with the BCM barrel.

Since that trip I’ve finally completed my reloading set up and have had a chance to put together my first loads to start load development. I loaded 70 rounds total. 10 rounds of each charge weight of 2 different powders. I used H322 and IMR 8208 XBR based on recommendations I’ve read here by Markm. I’m using my once fired brass, CCI primers and 77 grain Nosler Custom Competition projectiles.

I was at the range today with my son. I was shooting off a bipod and rear bag. I shot 14 5 round groups, 2 of each powder charge weight. Conditions were poor again. Weather report showed 73 degrees F and 18 mph winds with gusts to 31 mph. The bench was shaking in the wind. The sandy soil was drifting like snow. It was blowing in our eyes and filling nooks and crannies in my rifles and scope bells. I started out really taking my time and trying to time my shots in lulls in the wind but I lost patience fairly quickly and my son was ready to go. I still shot all my reloads to at least test function and look for pressure signs but I wasn’t too hopeful for group size or useful information for tailoring a specific load. In spite of that I was pleasantly surprised for the most part. I think with a calmer day I could have shrunk groups a bit.

Overall I feel like the rifle came together nicely. I think it definitely has the potential to meet the goals I set for it. I think the biggest drawback will by my own marksmanship skills. As I’m able to tailor a load for it and also improve my skills I will start shooting 10 round groups. I’m eager to get established at the new range over the next couple months and see what it’s capable of at longer ranges.

This ended up a lot longer than I thought it would be. If you made it this far.....thanks?

tl;dr I built a rifle, it shoots decent, I like it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like it! Nice job on the parts selection and build. Oh, and great shooting!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for posting this, Great Rifle.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Nice build and nice shooting given your windy conditions.

Feedback Score
    Good looking rifle you've put together and some damn nice groups. I'm using a San Tan receiver set myself on my current build. Really had no reason to use an ambi receiver, but I really dug the look of their products.

Feedback Score
    This looks and shoots awesome. Well done.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thank you. I plan on updating with targets as I shoot it more.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Well done- on the build, re-loading and shooting.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I made a quick trip to the range today. I came across the OCW method for load development and figured I'd give it a shot. I followed the instructions exactly (almost) which specifies 3 shot groups. I'm going the wrong direction in terms of rounds per group but I understand the OCW method to be more concerned with POI than with strict group size. I'm still playing around with H322 and XBR under 77 gr. Nosler CCs.

I loaded 4 rounds per 6 charge weights of each powder so I'd have the three rounds called for in case of some problem with one of the rounds. I ended up actually shooting 4 round groups with the XBR but I screwed up my organization on the H322 and ended up with 3 round groups and one 2 shot group. Oops.

We had rain/snow earlier in the day. Conditions were overcast, 40 degrees F, occasional wind to around 7 mph per the local weather report.

Perhaps someone more experienced in this can see something I don't but I'm not seeing almost any difference in POI of any of the groups of either powder.

Group sizes were decent but not really statistically significant. I think I will focus on 21.4-21.6 grains of H322 or 22.9-23.1 grains of XBR and start shooting 10 round groups.

I'm getting set up at the new range so I'd like to start stretching it out soon.

Before packing up I had one page of Molon's "Quarter" minute of angle in the my truck that I tried.

I was out of my reloads and grabbed some ADI 69 gr. matchkings. I fired some rounds on a target to adjust my scope for POA/POI. I was surprised at the first round of the mag. I had taken my time and thought I'd broken the shot well but it's impact was significantly different (low) from where this ammo has printed in the past. I adjusted my scope up 2 MOA, took a carefully aimed shot and now I was significantly above POA. I adjusted back down, played with windage a little and was printing back where I wanted it. I thought it was strange. I circled the first round in the photo.

When I shot the Quarter page I took a carefully aimed shot at the first quarter and the impact was significantly off again, this time to the right and a little high. It's the hole above the 3rd quarter. The next 7 were good. I pulled the last two shots.

I really thought I was settled on the first shot of each mag. A 2+ inch wobble is pretty noticeable through a 14x scope at 100 yards. I thought maybe it had to do with the first rounds being chambered by pressing the bolt catch but that seems like an excuse and doesn't make much sense. I'll have to pay attention on future trips. The "Quarter" minute of angle challenge was fun. I'll do it again.