Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aimpoint 3X-C vs. 3X magnifiers.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I bought a 3X-C w/ Aimpoint Flipmount when SOLGW blew them out for $299 a month ago.

The eye relief is comparable to the Vortex VMX-3T which I own - both are listed as 2.2". Very usable - all the 3x suck eye-relief-wise compared to a quality 1-4/1-6 LPV, but it is what it is.

Overall the Aimpoint seems rugged enough and clear - I have it paired with an H-2 on a 6920-Trooper.

ETA - I really like the Aimpoint mount, you can flip it to the side easy enough, but it is still solidly in place when you need it. Or you can twist it off and detach the 3X-C very quickly as well - far faster than any QD system.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 07-05-19 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    I got a 3X-C the other day in the new Scalarworks mount (which is a damn good design). I'll post my thoughts after I get it to the range tomorrow.
    Last edited by essjay; 07-06-19 at 17:08.

Feedback Score
    Construction: Seems solid enough. The rubberized grip surface is grippy and seems like it would prevent some degree of drop damage to the 3X-C.

Optical Quality: It's very clear and bright, and the magnified dot is more circular than what I see at 1x through the T2. Using the T2's clear covers, I don't see any perceptible change in clarity or to the POA.

Eye Relief/Eye Box: With a Magpul Pro BUIS and the Scalarworks mount, the closest you can mount the optic is one slot ahead of the BUIS. In this position, the 3X-C's optimum eye relief is just a hair further back than NTCH. The workable eye box is not particularly long, tall, or wide. I'd say it's on par with a TA33 in terms of height/width, but more like a TA31 in terms of optimal distance and min/max distance. FOV at 100 yards appeared to be somewhere between a TA33 and a TA11, leaning a bit more on the TA11 side of things.

Magnified vs Unmagnified Group Size Comparison: Smaller with the magnifier, but negligibly so, in slow fire. However, magnified slow fire was considerably faster than unmagnified, so maybe if you really slow it down, you'll notice a change. YMMV.

3x BAC: The dot will blob out to what I presume is about 6moa, but it's a nice bright blobby aiming point. Dominant eye shooting, I didn't notice any real shift at all out to 50 yards. The cross-dominant shooter shouldn't expect this to work too well beyond 25 yards due to the POA/POI shift, although I suppose you could compensate for it to some extent. Works exactly the same as BAC in an ACOG or LPVO.

Scalarworks Flipmount: Looks good, lightweight, presumably solid 7075 construction, locks in tight, easy to flip back and forth with no wiggling. The centerline is slightly lower than that of a lower-third cowitness Larue LT660, but matches up perfect with Scalarworks' mount, as to be expected.

Obligatory Complaint: Adjust the brightness on the T2 is more of a chore with the magnifier present, and definitely has me considering a CompM5 in the future.

Tacticoolness: Same guy asked me: "Is that a SWAT gun?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Construction: Seems solid enough. The rubberized grip surface is grippy and seems like it would prevent some degree of drop damage to the 3X-C.

Optical Quality: It's very clear and bright, and the magnified dot is more circular than what I see at 1x through the T2. Using the T2's clear covers, I don't see any perceptible change in clarity or to the POA.

Eye Relief/Eye Box: With a Magpul Pro BUIS and the Scalarworks mount, the closest you can mount the optic is one slot ahead of the BUIS. In this position, the 3X-C's optimum eye relief is just a hair further back than NTCH. The workable eye box is not particularly long, tall, or wide. I'd say it's on par with a TA33 in terms of height/width, but more like a TA31 in terms of optimal distance and min/max distance. FOV at 100 yards appeared to be somewhere between a TA33 and a TA11, leaning a bit more on the TA11 side of things.

Magnified vs Unmagnified Group Size Comparison: Smaller with the magnifier, but negligibly so, in slow fire. However, magnified slow fire was considerably faster than unmagnified, so maybe if you really slow it down, you'll notice a change. YMMV.

3x BAC: The dot will blob out to what I presume is about 6moa, but it's a nice bright blobby aiming point. Dominant eye shooting, I didn't notice any real shift at all out to 50 yards. The cross-dominant shooter shouldn't expect this to work too well beyond 25 yards due to the POA/POI shift, although I suppose you could compensate for it to some extent. Works exactly the same as BAC in an ACOG or LPVO.

Scalarworks Flipmount: Looks good, lightweight, presumably solid 7075 construction, locks in tight, easy to flip back and forth with no wiggling. The centerline is slightly lower than that of a lower-third cowitness Larue LT660, but matches up perfect with Scalarworks' mount, as to be expected.

Obligatory Complaint: Adjust the brightness on the T2 is more of a chore with the magnifier present, and definitely has me considering a CompM5 in the future.

Tacticoolness: Same guy asked me: "Is that a SWAT gun?"
    Agree with above works well with Aimpoint Comp M5 in a Scalar mount.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123