Thread: Armalite AR103GN18

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Armalite AR103GN18

I've been threatening to buy an AR-10 for years, but just recently a few things all came together at the same time and I broke down and ordered a "modern rifle" to see what I've been missing. Today was its first test run. When I was researching these, I couldn't find many good reviews - so maybe this will help the next guy thinking about buying one.

In case you can't read it - that's 0.817" at 100yds with 155gr Nosler JHPBT bullets, and 0.644" with 175gr FGMM. Note that I've done absolutely NO load development yet (the 155gr load is my old FAL load), and I was shooting this with a 4x scope with heavy cross-hairs. Adjustable gas block, tuneable brake (I hate brakes, but the combination of these two made for a very soft and flat shooting rifle), free floated keymod handguard, Timney trigger, Raptor ambi charging handle, ambi selector, and adjustable Luth-AR stock - all straight out of the box. I did the barrel break-in, set the gas and tuned the brake and it was good to go. The only part I changed was the triggerguard - I put a Magpul on there because the stock one always digs into my middle finger.

I then shot some VTAC drills from 100-300yds, and where I struggle with the FAL, with this thing hits were effortless and reliable. It really was like cheating. I only have about 75rds through it so far, but it ran like a sewing machine throughout - with 10rd, 20rd, and 25rd PMAGs. Next weekend I have a 3-gun match, so we'll see how it does with a little hard use. And we'll see if I can remember where the controls are on the clock!

The bad news is that I have NEVER seen one of these in stock anywhere, so I ordered mine sight unseen after doing a bunch of research and hearing some good reviews from a couple shooters I trust. The good news is that "every dealer is an Armalite dealer" - go down to your local gun shop, have them call Armalite, and they can order one for you directly. Their website always shows out of stock for some reason - but mine came really quickly.

https://armalite.com/shop/ar-10-3-gun-rifle/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Nice choice! I have 4 of these! A 16 and 18" 5.56 and a 16 and 18" .308. You will be very happy.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    i had the will power to not buy guns. I even bought a gun store and work for a company that manufactures the forging machines for said guns. I need help.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I picked upp my 2nd Armalite AR-10A a bit ago (yet to shoot it), and am eager to see what their SASS Gen 2 will be like (appears to be a .308/6.5CM with extended upper receiver that the rail threads into, + adjustale gas block).
    No experience wit the 3Gun versions, but glad to see they work well.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah, I have a FAL too. I like it, but it doesn't hold a candle to how refined AR platforms are now. I have put together some franken-gun 308 AR's but this seems like a really nice system as a whole. For a slightly cheaper gun Armature quality seems pretty good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good looking rifle and great looking groups. Keep us posted on it's performance.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well - it ran fine today through 5 different stages. It's going to take me a little while before I reach the rifle's full potential, as I can tell it still feels a little awkward in my hands (I've been shooting the FAL a LOOOONG time!). No complaints though, and good enough for top Heavy Metal and 4th overall. Here's a taste:

Feedback Score
    Interesting. The one stop I had with my low-round DEF10 looked like that. It too was during a competition.

It took a bit to clear. When I later inspected the rifle everything looked okay but the lube had been blown out (sooner than expected) and it was dirty and fairly dry.

I sprayed oil in the action liberally and it worked fine afterwards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Follow-up, just because I noticed in my handloading logbook I'm over 4,000 rds on this thing now. Still going strong and running like a very accurate sewing machine! I do clean the bolt every 500 rds or so and that seems to be the preventative maintenance that it needs, because it's never had those issues above again.

Feedback Score
    Good to see the Armalite still running good.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.