Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Paint Your Rifle Multicam(-ish)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Freshly paint:

Three years later:

Durability's pretty good, IMO. This rifle did not have a base coat, and has seen a class, two biathlons (both 10Ks), and several force-on-force sessions, besides general shooting. I've never cleaned this rifle, so some of the black is actually just carbon seeping out from inside, as I shoot it suppressed 95% of the time; the lighting in the second picture is also rather harsh, so it's a bit hard to compare the colors. The wear from gear is generally quite localized, and doesn't spread. Cerakote would definitely hold up better, but given how my paint job has a pattern with hard transitions, the wear doesn't really affect the camouflaging properties of the paint job until it really gets going. Honestly, I dig it when it gets a little worn, makes it look even better. Of course, I specifically chose Aervoe because of its durability, instead of taking the easy way and using a Krylon to do the colors that Aervoe doesn't have.
    How is it holding up several years later?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Freshly paint:

Three years later:

Durability's pretty good, IMO. This rifle did not have a base coat, and has seen a class, two biathlons (both 10Ks), and several force-on-force sessions, besides general shooting. I've never cleaned this rifle, so some of the black is actually just carbon seeping out from inside, as I shoot it suppressed 95% of the time; the lighting in the second picture is also rather harsh, so it's a bit hard to compare the colors. The wear from gear is generally quite localized, and doesn't spread. Cerakote would definitely hold up better, but given how my paint job has a pattern with hard transitions, the wear doesn't really affect the camouflaging properties of the paint job until it really gets going. Honestly, I dig it when it gets a little worn, makes it look even better. Of course, I specifically chose Aervoe because of its durability, instead of taking the easy way and using a Krylon to do the colors that Aervoe doesn't have.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I've since sold that upper (repainted the lower to match with the new upper), but I'm happy with how well my other rifles have held up. I will try and post pictures of my 11.5" that's seen the most use later.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Freshly painted over 4 years ago:

Today, after a few thousand rounds of live ammo and way more Force on Force with a few Simunitions thrown in for good measure:

You can see most of the wear is on the left side near the rear of the handguard and on the bottom of the handguard because that's what gets the most wear, along with the left side of the magwell. The left side wear is simply due to rubbing against the buckle of my war belt, while the buttom is due to all the resting on barricades. Rest of it has held up pretty well, IMO.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123