Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Paint Your Rifle Multicam(-ish)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Great write up, tutorial and nice finished product.
    Looks labor intensive, you obviously have an abundance of time and patience.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I counted 21 days of paint curing time (7 sprays x 3 days)

How durable is the finish for that kind of work? I think at that point I'd just get it cerakoted, but I can appreciate a good DIY job!
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It's really not that hard. I did my MP-15/22, it took about 5 days overall - it was summer to that helped to let it cure in the sun. And it costs about $20 to do several rifles, compared to the inevitable hundreds plus shipping to get it cerakoted.

Not to mention when times change and your camo pattern isn't 'cool anymore', you can strip it off and go back to black, or repaint it what the current cool kids approve of.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    looks sick but I'm WAY too ADD for all that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlberry View Post
    So how long does it last? What does it look like after normal wear and tear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    How durable is the finish for that kind of work? I think at that point I'd just get it cerakoted, but I can appreciate a good DIY job!
    Freshly paint:

Three years later:

Durability's pretty good, IMO. This rifle did not have a base coat, and has seen a class, two biathlons (both 10Ks), and several force-on-force sessions, besides general shooting. I've never cleaned this rifle, so some of the black is actually just carbon seeping out from inside, as I shoot it suppressed 95% of the time; the lighting in the second picture is also rather harsh, so it's a bit hard to compare the colors. The wear from gear is generally quite localized, and doesn't spread. Cerakote would definitely hold up better, but given how my paint job has a pattern with hard transitions, the wear doesn't really affect the camouflaging properties of the paint job until it really gets going. Honestly, I dig it when it gets a little worn, makes it look even better. Of course, I specifically chose Aervoe because of its durability, instead of taking the easy way and using a Krylon to do the colors that Aervoe doesn't have.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 03-04-17 at 21:22.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Awesome, thanks for a great "primer" for rifle painting! Did you do any degreasing prior to the base coat? Looking to take this project on!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1toughdog View Post
    Awesome, thanks for a great "primer" for rifle painting! Did you do any degreasing prior to the base coat? Looking to take this project on!
    I use Slip 2000 725 to degrease the exterior of the rifle. You can also use just plain isopropyl alcohol or Simple Green Pro HD (the purple, not the green; the green can damage the aluminum, I'm told).
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Definitely looks good.

I'd like too see one in that old school GA precision tri-color scheme.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I use Slip 2000 725 to degrease the exterior of the rifle. You can also use just plain isopropyl alcohol or Simple Green Pro HD (the purple, not the green; the green can damage the aluminum, I'm told).
    Thanks for the insight and reply, looking forward to this project!

Feedback Score
    Looks great and quite a tedious, yet meticulous job. I wish I had seen this a year or two ago.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast