Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colony

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Colony

On USA on Thursdays. It's on season 2 now, season 1 is on Netflix. It's not "The" Colony, just "Colony".

It takes place in Los Angeles after aliens have taken over already. The main characters thread the gap between collaborator and rebel.

Oh, and this scene happened yesterday... one long take (they may have cheated a couple places like in Children of Men) house clearing for almost 4 minutes.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ducgf

Some context: The blonde lady in the beginning believes the aliens are actually good and completely buys in to their religion. She's tutoring two of the kids of the main characters, the husband and wife that are seen momentarily from the upstairs window, then as they enter the house. The bloody hand print is the calling card of a group of rebels/terrorists/freedom fighters - they used it previously when bombing a bunch of office workers. The boy had spent the last year basically being a thug and miscreant, so he's pretty street-wise, while the daughter has been mostly sheltered, but she trusts him. This is from Season 2 Episode 8 and it only contains very mild spoilers.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-04-17 at 00:09.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Video's been pulled.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well that sucks.

Tried another link in the OP.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-04-17 at 00:09.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    So why are the"freedom fighters" trying to kill the main characters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    So why are the"freedom fighters" trying to kill the main characters?

Basically, the aliens use the collaborators to keep peace in the colonies. The collaborators are the government. Will (the father) works as a police detective sort of person and is very good at tracking down the rebels. So he's a target of interest.

Also, he was partially responsible for the death of the daughter of that rebel cell's leader. Or at least, that's what the leader probably thinks.

The show basically takes a sci-fi spin on occupied Paris in WW2. The Nazi symbolism is very strong with "the authority". The alien collaborators basically realize that if they don't keep the peace, the aliens will just wipe out humanity as an inconvenience. The rebels think they can actually do something about the invasion, but so far it seems the collaborators are right.
    Last edited by Koshinn; 03-04-17 at 09:34.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Well that sucks.

Tried another link in the OP.
    ...and it's gone.

Basically, the aliens use the collaborators to keep peace in the colonies. The collaborators are the government. Will (the father) works as a police detective sort of person and is very good at tracking down the rebels. So he's a target of interest.

Also, he was partially responsible for the death of the daughter of that rebel cell's leader. Or at least, that's what the leader probably thinks.

The show basically takes a sci-fi spin on occupied Paris in WW2. The Nazi symbolism is very strong with "the authority". The alien collaborators basically realize that if they don't keep the peace, the aliens will just wipe out humanity as an inconvenience. The rebels think they can actually do something about the invasion, but so far it seems the collaborators are right.
    To be entirely fair, the insurgents have only had one really meaningfully effective operation as of the end of season one. And that operation nearly got LA flattened. In fact, except for that operation, the insurgency had only succeeded in getting humans killed: Insurgents, collaborators, bystanders. And killing the collaborators - anyone other than minions and peons, anyway - only results in more effective insurgent hunters taking their place.

And planting bombs and killing bureaucrats doesn't seem like an effective way to fight against a species/government capable of interstellar travel who conquered the entire planet virtually overnight with maybe a dozen casualties.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It's not just an action show, or pure SF as much as exploring the occupation/collaboration scenario. Which seems easy until you have to pick between resistance and family, etc.

Also interesting that the occupiers (aliens) are using a perversion of religion as a method. (Won't say more due to spoilers)

It's not a perfect show, some anomolies. But some decent characters and actors. One being Peter Jacobson from the "House" series.

And Rick's wife from the walking dead, who I really disliked back then, but don't mind as much in this series.

A little better done than Falling Skies, and also a bit more interesting due to the collaboration scenario

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just watched the trailers on YT and the first thing I said was "Oh god, Lori is back!"
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Just watched the trailers on YT and the first thing I said was "Oh god, Lori is back!"
    And "Sawyer" from "Lost". Who skates the line between annoying with the Sonny Crocket pretty boy vibe and decent action

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Thanks for the insight....sounds pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    ...and it's gone.

To be entirely fair, the insurgents have only had one really meaningfully effective operation as of the end of season one. And that operation nearly got LA flattened. In fact, except for that operation, the insurgency had only succeeded in getting humans killed: Insurgents, collaborators, bystanders. And killing the collaborators - anyone other than minions and peons, anyway - only results in more effective insurgent hunters taking their place.

And planting bombs and killing bureaucrats doesn't seem like an effective way to fight against a species/government capable of interstellar travel who conquered the entire planet virtually overnight with maybe a dozen casualties.
    Interest Peaked. Season 1 added to list.

Thanks for for the additional info guys.

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast