Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4-person all-season tent recommendation

Feedback Score

4-person all-season tent recommendation

It's that time of year, start of backpacking/camp season. Looking to replace an old Coleman tent. What would y'all recommend as a 4-person all season tent, that's light enough to put in the pack on a 3-4 day hike? Thanks, gents.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ever tried a hammock? I wouldn't go back to a tent unless the temp are below freezing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    REI Basecamp 4 and 6 have been great.

Very dry, full coverage fly. Still cool in the summer. Well made. Dual vestibule

Feedback Score
    Mountain Hardware has some great options. Just liberated a two man 4 season beaut fom my son who is curently out of state at school.

Feedback Score
    If you're packing it in and can separate the parts hard to beat a Big Agnes flying Diamond 4 or the 6 person flying Diamond 6.

I prefer bigger than your intended party as a 4 man tent is tight with 4 people in it. Extra space is nice if you get stuck in bad weather and have to hole up in the tent.

My backpacking tent is a 3 man, and it's comfortable w 2.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I have the Go Lite Shangrila 5 which is the original version of this:

https://mytrailco.com/collections/te...amid-4-shelter

Last edited by JasonB1; 03-14-17 at 17:13.

Feedback Score
    If you're referring to "all season", as in "including snow", you're going to have a tough time finding a 4-man backpacking tent. I also agree with those who said a 4-man tent isn't well suited for 4 grown men + gear, but is ideal for 3 men or you and the wife with a couple kids. For 4 grown men, a pair of 2-3 man tents is preferable, in terms of weight and space.

For non-snow camping with family, I found the North Face Talus 4 to be the best suited. 6.5 lb trail weight, $300, well designed and their tents hold up. My Rock 22 is over 10 years old and has held up with sheets of water flowing under it and severe winds.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/talus-4

The Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4 is close to 1 lb lighter, but twice the price and not as durable, it wasn't worth it to me.
    Last edited by Gatorgrizz27; 03-25-17 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Instead of specific manufacturer suggestions I'm going to suggest features to consider. As others have mentioned, 4 men plus gear is tight for a typical 4-person tent. In terms of 4-season features: look for tents that have "bathtub" style floors, meaning the perimeter seam is a few inches above the ground. Double wall tent with full coverage rain fly with dual vestibule and preferably same-size dual doors. Less mesh and more fabric for the tent body will retain heat better during the cold weather camping.
    Other considerations: crawl in a 4-person tent at maybe REI and see/measure the floor size so you will have a visualization and specs to compare other manufacturers tent sizes online. When you decide on a good four season tent, you should also expect to pack some extra tent stakes and guy lines.
    Also, consider your usage. "4-season" meant being able to handle torrential rain, strong wind gusts, and possibly some snow load, without getting into true mountaineering expedition tents,...20 years ago when I bought a Kelty Gunisson 4-person with bathtub floor and full coverage fly for $200 and around 7 lbs. They just don't build them the same way now, lol.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered ultralight tents? Saves space and weight in your car and in your pack. But if you want lots of space for car camping, Coleman is great

Feedback Score
    Augmenting my previous snippet of a post:
    Ok if it is just you I would look at Mountain Hardware offerings. Very sturdy, true 4 season tents and pretty economical on weight if you are packing in. If you are solo, ultra light tents are a dream in terms of packing weight. I am currently rolling solo and as a Weight Nazi when I pack I am going to experiment with Hennesy Hammock tents, they just have too many positives not to try.

That said if you are family camping, i.e. got the whole team under one roof, Coleman or even something from BJ's or Costco. Something 4-6 person sized with a floor, rainfly and vestibule. The upside is cheaper. The downsides are many, almost never true 4 season, horror shows on weight as no one packs them on their back more than 20 yards from the vehicles tailgate. These are ok for backyard camping at Grandma's, Cub Scout, Brownie outings and the like. Once you start actually having to pack your gear and hike/ski in, these things rarely leave storage again unless re-purposed as mess tents for a group outing.
    Last edited by City Rat; 08-05-17 at 03:14. Reason: thought more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast