Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does XM5 6.8mm (MCX-Spear) use Lancer L7AWM but not PMAG 20rd mags?

Feedback Score

Why does XM5 6.8mm (MCX-Spear) use Lancer L7AWM but not PMAG 20rd mags?

Just curious why XM5 was using Lancer L7AWM instead of 7.62 PMAG20. Does anyone know inside scoop? Is Lancer mag with steel liner more durable for 6.8mm?

I was thinking Pmag is now USGI for 5.56 so procurement should be no issue. And XM5 uses Magpul SL-K stock, so Sig is also partnering with Magpul on XM5 already.

On the other hand, is Sig going to come up with its own M5 mags? Seems too lucrative of a procurement contract to give out.

Feedback Score
    I have heard issues with drag in the magazine on the 7.62 magazines for PMAGs due to the larger amount of recoil causing the tips of the bullets to eventually dimple the polymer, while the steel liner on the L7AWMs get past this issue. Never seen it myself, but I'm not a high volume large frame shooter, and I stick with PMAGs, due to the Lancer 25s having excessive spring tension (even after Lancer clipped off a coil for me for each of my mags) and the steel feedlips having more drag when dirty (which happens quickly in my suppressed SR-25), and thus not feeding after an empty chamber reload, as the round will only come out the magazine halfway when dropping the bolt.

I will also note that SIG and Lancer already worked in the past before for their MPX mags, so they certainly already had some kind of working relationship when it came to magazines.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    According to a Sig rep, any existing 7.62 SR-25 style mag will work. Sig is in the process of designing their version of the mag for future sales. They just seem to have used the Lancer as an off-the-shelf option. Interestingly enough, the True Velocity NGSW offering also used Lancer mags in all of its promo material.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    I have heard issues with drag in the magazine on the 7.62 magazines for PMAGs due to the larger amount of recoil causing the tips of the bullets to eventually dimple the polymer, while the steel liner on the L7AWMs get past this issue. Never seen it myself, but I'm not a high volume large frame shooter, and I stick with PMAGs, due to the Lancer 25s having excessive spring tension (even after Lancer clipped off a coil for me for each of my mags) and the steel feedlips having more drag when dirty (which happens quickly in my suppressed SR-25), and thus not feeding after an empty chamber reload, as the round will only come out the magazine halfway when dropping the bolt.

I will also note that SIG and Lancer already worked in the past before for their MPX mags, so they certainly already had some kind of working relationship when it came to magazines.
    That's interesting to me... I had to polish the feed lips on my L7AWMs for reliable feeding, especially the first round on a full mag. I don't shoot my AR308 suppressed so I guess I'll note if the mags start to stick after X number of rounds.
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmaster-M4A3 View Post

I was thinking Pmag is now USGI for 5.56 so procurement should be no issue.
    For USMC. Army still issues aluminum mags, although its fairly common for units to buy PMags.

No idea if its related to this program, but I’ve noted that cartridge hipsters that believe a certain diameter is magic also are sometimes magazine hipsters as well. Many are flamboyant for Lancers.

Feedback Score
    from my experance - pmags didnt do very well in the heat of iraq. Cracked lips and deformation. That was my experance - no issues with OKAY surefeed mags. USMC 3/5 retired.

USMC (my platoon) was given surefeed mags- some guys tried pmags but switch back to OKAY after a short while. just like most of us switched our BCG out to BCM or LMT. Its like pulling teeth to get parts repaired or replaced. Especially M9 mag springs or recoil springs.
    Last edited by OGmechanic; 07-04-22 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGmechanic View Post
    from my experance - pmags didnt do very well in the heat of iraq. Cracked lips and deformation. That was my experance - no issues with OKAY surefeed mags. USMC 3/5 retired.

USMC (my platoon) was given surefeed mags- some guys tried pmags but switch back to OKAY after a short while. just like most of us switched our BCG out to BCM or LMT. Its like pulling teeth to get parts repaired or replaced. Especially M9 mag springs or recoil springs.
    Interesting. I never had issues with PMags in the heat of Iraq or Djibouti. Can't say I've heard of widespread complaints about them in the heat elsewhere either.

And are you saying that you guys swapped out your BCGs with commercial, privately purchased options? Surprised that was allowed. USMC must have looser rules than the Army on the subject.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    Interesting. I never had issues with PMags in the heat of Iraq or Djibouti. Can't say I've heard of widespread complaints about them in the heat elsewhere either.

And are you saying that you guys swapped out your BCGs with commercial, privately purchased options? Surprised that was allowed. USMC must have looser rules than the Army on the subject.
    It happened in the army as well. just like changing furnature - Some of us would switch to magpul stocks or grips and so on. i couldnt comment on the US Army - but in my experance getting anything repaired or replaced was difficult. especially springs in the weapons. the BCG in the rifles were the same ones you got in your Colt or FN out here, just a lot more wear and tear. I retired in june 2006 (I was issued the m16A4) and im sure things changed over the years after
    Last edited by OGmechanic; 07-04-22 at 09:15.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Army mostly has rather new M4a1s. I’d smoke a dude until he turned a kidney if I found out he was replacing his BCG with a commercial product. And suggest a ninja punch.

PMags haven’t given me feeding or breakage problems in DJ, where its ridiculously, stupidly hot at nearly all hours, or anywhere in Iraq or Afghanistan, to include the coldest and hottest places those countries have to offer. Or in any other dumb place I’ve been.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OGmechanic View Post
    It happened in the army as well. just like changing furnature - Some of us would switch to magpul stocks or grips and so on. i couldnt comment on the US Army - but in my experance getting anything repaired or replaced was difficult. especially springs in the weapons. the BCG in the rifles were the same ones you got in your Colt or FN out here, just a lot more wear and tear. I retired in june 2006 (I was issued the m16A4) and im sure things changed over the years after
    There's a helluva difference between swapping out a grip or buttstock with swapping out a BCG, and I had to fight to even get the buttstock/grips. Swapping out internal components would have been a huge no-no as "Unauthorized modifications." I get the frustration with worn-out weapons (the M4s we used in the 82nd were pretty damn worn out by the time I got there in '07, and we used them for years afterward before they got upgraded to A1s) but jeez, that's a definite culture difference.

EDIT: Wait, you say you retired in 2006? The first PMag prototypes were made in 2006, announced in 2007, and commercially released later that year/the next year. I remember the big hoopla over them being released because every gun store around Bragg was pushing them, and a few guys thought they were the greatest things ever, and indestructible... until we ran one over with an 1151.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 07-05-22 at 09:34. Reason: Asking too many questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast