Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any of y'all use Varget?

Feedback Score
    I've been having really good luck with H335, very consistant through my pops Dillon 550. My current favorite loading is 25.5 grains with the 60 grain V-max.
    -Jesse

Feedback Score
    For excellent results with the heavies try VV N140.
    You won't be disappointed.

Oh yeah, get a chrono. It doesn't have to be an expensive one, in fact, I'd recommend a cheap one so you're no too upset when you shoot it.

Feedback Score
    varget is the gold standard for high power shooters and heavy bullets (68-80g).
    afaik, it's still sierra's accuracy load.
    most loads will be compressed or nearly so.
    it is pretty crunchy going through most dispensers
    it's clean burning
    it's cheap compared to VV but you can get a good bit more velocity with VV's high-energy line

Feedback Score
    I don't reload for 223, but it's my go to powder for 204 ruger, 308 and 45/70

Feedback Score
    Ballistically, in the 223 it makes good sense, but there are limitations. It offers good load density and great accuracy in 223 and 308, but it does not meter as well as others. It is decently clean burning, but not as good as some others. Some people will will swear up and down that it is not sensitive to temperature changes, but my chronograph doesn't lie. I once shot a match using Hornady 75 grain match hp, it was hot and an otherwise normal load pierced every single primer with the exception of a couple, plus it was running about 1 MOA high on my 600 yard zero. Where Varget excels is when you want one powder for multiple calibers, because it works well in many. With heavy match bullets like 75 and 80 grain, I use H4895. RL15 is a very solid choice for match bullets above 68 grains. I have also used AA2460 and AA2520 with good results. TAC, W748, H322, BLC2, and Benchmark have not met my expectations. With heavier bullets, I would be tempted to try VV140 or 540, those and RL15 are the most common match loadings I see from the really good shooters at the 600 line.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When I started reloading for .223, I worked up loads with TAC to start with, but then, since I'd been loading for .308 for a while, I had Varget and RL-15 on hand already, and decided to try that.
    Despite what Sierra's accuracy load is, I got better results (tighter groups) with RL-15 than I did with Varget in BOTH my 5.56 rifles (M&P15T and Bushy A3 20" Hbar). BTW, I only shoot 69gr. SMK's in these rifles, both are 1/9" twist.
    The weirdest part is that I get almost identical results when I load for my 26" barreled .308! You'd think Varget would work better for me in the 5.56 rifles, since it's slightly faster burning than RL-15 (although barely, and lot-to-lot consistency may also be my culprit.. I've only used 2 lbs. of Varget so far).
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12