Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any of y'all use Varget?

Feedback Score

Question Any of y'all use Varget?

How does it work for .223? I'm mainly interested in using it for 68gr. rounds. What loads have you used? Thanks

Feedback Score
    I've used it with 69 SMK's and 75gr Hornady's. Worked pretty well. Not really sure on the charge weight. You should work up anyway, but I was thinking they were around 25.4gr of Varget.

Feedback Score
    Varget works very well in .223.
    The only down side is that it does not meter consistently.
    If you have a Lyman DPS 1200 or RCBS automatic powder dispenser, you'l have no problem. Otherwise, you'll need to trickle your charges.

Feedback Score
    Thanks folks.

It might work well for me. I weigh every charge and bullet that I load. It's slow however, it give me good accuracy. I may have to look into getting one of those machines that trickle and weigh the powder. I've been using a beam scale.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I used in the past but that was before switching gears from bolt guns to AR's. It worked quite well as it was a one stop shop and used it for both my .223 rifles and .308. Seemed simple enough buying one can or powder and have it work for both calibers.

My experience is it worked for me, what I was using it for and was a good all-arounder.

Feedback Score
    Hodgdon shows a max charge of 26gr. w/ a Sierra 69. I have been loading 25.5 gr. of Varget w/ a Hornady 68 gr. hpbt and have had great accuracy with it out of my Rock River 18" varmiter (vel. chrono'd @ about 2800fps.). I also loaded the Hornady 75gr. hpbt w/ a 25gr charge of Varget for about 2750 fps with great results. I load on a Dillon 550 and the varget actually meters quite well as long as you don't get in a hurry and give the powder time to drop. Polishing the powder funnel helps too.

Feedback Score
    Our high power competition load is a 75 gr BTHP w/ 24.0 grains of Varget in BH brass. It has shot quite well in both mine and my son's Colt H-Bars.

As someone else has pointed out, always work up the load for the individual gun.

Feedback Score
    I have had some really good results with Varget behind 62gr Barnes TSX bullets, 25.0gr gave me the best accuracy. This through a 16" 1:9 barreled AR. I was hand weighing each charge, I haven't had much luck getting consistent throws in my powder measure.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info I have been thinking about using varget in my 223 loads, since I am now loading for a 308 bolt gun.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Just finished putting together my AR. Started with a stripped RRA lower, and a YHM stripped upper. Put a 16" Colt pencil carbine barrel on it, and a YHM smooth floating handguard. First shots out of it this past weekend, at 100 yards and with a Nikon 2x7 shotgun scope afriend gave me, and a cheap riser and rings, 7 shots of Wolf 75 grainers went into a 2" group. With a few of my reloads, I took a guess with 23.5 Varget and the Hornady 75 BTHP went 5/8"for four shots, and opened the group with a 5th at 1-1/4". Second group went 3/4" for 4 shots and pulled the last to 1-3/4". Same load with the Nosler 77 grain with cannelure went 1-5/8" for 5 shots. Not as tight as the Hornady bullet, but considering these were not developed loads, but just a starting load, I think Varget has some possibilities. Got a pound of H4895 and AA2230 to try next, along with loading a little more Varget?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast