Thread: Texas LTC Instructor Cert Info

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Texas LTC Instructor Cert Info

In a couple months, I'm going to be over in Florence attending the LTC Original Instructor Class. The packet they emailed me is kind of vague on the classroom portion. Does anyone know what topics they'll be going over? I can imagine, based on the information they gave when I signed up, that they will present a lot on the State's concealed carry laws; but it seems that two days is an awful long time to cover that.

Also, anyone have any tips for the revolver? I've never had to qualify with one before, so I'm not a seasoned revolver shooter.

Anyone know what kind of targets they use?

TIA for any help.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They basically put you through the course, very slowly, and explain a lot of what can go wrong in the class and what questions are commonly asked and what people usually get wrong / misunderstand.

The hardest part of the whole thing is staying awake. Get lots of rest, bring lots of caffeine. It's mind numbing to hear all the stupid questions and "one time at band camp" war stories from the students.

You don't have to be a seasoned shooter to pass the qual. With a good index you could literally pass it blindfolded. They shoot a B27 but use the "little man" scoring that's printed up at the top of the target. Anything in the 8 ring (I believe it's 8) is five points. The scoring area is huge. The times are generous and there's nothing complicated about it. The target dimensions and course of fire are available online.
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! I'm a federal employee, so I'm--unfortunately--very familiar with those types of classes. Thanks for the heads up on the scoring. The course of fire seems simple enough, I just missed the part about what kind of target they use.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I will be interested in your class observations. I have honestly thought about taking the instructor class, just to spare my friends who are new shooters some serious derp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I will be interested in your class observations. I have honestly thought about taking the instructor class, just to spare my friends who are new shooters some serious derp.
    Since I've only been here for a few months, it should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, it's been a few weeks since I finished the course. Blue, you hit the nail right on the head. They broke that stuff down simple-stupid, and there were a few of "those guys." SS, I saw a lot of derp in there, so I fully encourage you to attend.

I guess you could call this an AAR.

STUDENTS:
    I'd say about 1/3 of the class were some level of LE. Nothing significant about that, I just thought it interesting. Almost all of the rest were either retired, or owned/worked for a range/training co/etc. It seemed that many of the non-LE students liked to get into [manhood] measuring contests every time someone brought up an experience or question. That really was the most difficult part of the course. ...that, and every time a certain few of the students tried to tell the instructors that their (the instructors') interpretation of the laws was incorrect.

INSTRUCTORS:
    At the beginning of each class, the instructors would introduce themselves. With only one exception, they all have over 10 years with DPS. That exception was also the only one who had been at the facility for less than three years (he was working on just over one). When listening to them teach, you could tell who had been doing it a while, and who hadn't. Overall, they were easy to follow and easy to learn from. They covered everything as in-depth as necessary until the special ones started asking redundant questions; then they beat the info to death.

COURSE MATERIAL:
    The course was essentially the LTC course with instructor's notes. It was via power point, but it was mostly bearable. Each point was broken down from several points of view, common questions were answered in advance, and tips were given to aid in our presentation to our students. The two-day classroom portion was finished with a written test.

LIVE FIRE:
    There was no practice firing before qualification. I wasn't extremely happy about that until I found out how ridiculously easy it was to pass. 50 rounds each from a revolver and a semi-auto (on separate strings) from the 5, 7, and 15. The target was on a DPS-modified B-27 (basically standard scoring ring dimensions). Scoring was according to the small diagram in the upper left corner (eight ring and better counts as five points). Times were very generous. Students scored each others' targets, and the score was verified by the instructors.

Overall, it was a fun experience. I got to meet folks from all over the state, and experience a different part of Texas than what I'm used to. (And I got to stop by Sons of Liberty Gun Works to pick up a lower. ) I hope to run my first class by the end of the month!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    So was it a total of three days? Two days in the classroom and one day on the range?

I am glad to hear that no one put a round into you, those sort of range days always make me concerned.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Correct. Three days; two class, and one on the range.

The instructors were pretty well distributed, and none of it is from the holster. There was probably one instructor per four-to-five students. I'm pretty surprised no one showed up in armor.