Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas port sizing

Feedback Score

Gas port sizing

I picked up a retro upper, slickside, A1 handguards, 3 prong that I want to convert into something more like a 605 (although it's getting an RRA Entry stock for now, maybe a 607 later if I can figure that out for a reasonable price).

It has an A2 profile barrel on it, which really doesn't match, and it's a Del-Ton 1/9 barrel so I don't have much use for it... so why not cut it down to 16.5" or so. Most of what I shoot is Wolf Gold, I'm not planning on shooting steel case through it. I haven't cut down a semiauto rifle barrel before, or threaded one, so I figure I should start with one I don't really care about - if I screw it up it isn't a huge loss.

How big should the gas port be to run reliably?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I picked up a retro upper, slickside, A1 handguards, 3 prong that I want to convert into something more like a 605 (although it's getting an RRA Entry stock for now, maybe a 607 later if I can figure that out for a reasonable price).

It has an A2 profile barrel on it, which really doesn't match, and it's a Del-Ton 1/9 barrel so I don't have much use for it... so why not cut it down to 16.5" or so. Most of what I shoot is Wolf Gold, I'm not planning on shooting steel case through it. I haven't cut down a semiauto rifle barrel before, or threaded one, so I figure I should start with one I don't really care about - if I screw it up it isn't a huge loss.

How big should the gas port be to run reliably?

The ink on my armorer certification is still wet and they still haven't printed my engineering degree, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

You make no mention of whether your intend to plug the rifle-length gas port and drill a new one at mid or carbine length or if you simply intend to enlarge the existing vent. If the latter, then you'll need to factor in the reduced dwell time...
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    I'm planning on sticking with rifle length gas system. I know it's somewhat tricky to make a 16.5" rifle gassed gun run reliably, which is why I'm asking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I believe .110" is close but starting around .100" and slowly move up until it functions wouldn't be a bad idea.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's in the ball park.

Just be aware that 16.5" rifle is not a very good gas system combination.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I know it's tricky to make work well, but I've read great things about the VooDoo 16.5" rifle gassed barrel so it's possible.

I might go a hair longer instead (17" maybe) if it makes tuning easier.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had an instructor who did this to a Colt barrel no one wanted. He had good luck a .0900" I'd definitely start on the low end. Nothing sucks more than too much gas.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I'd be much less inclined to do this if it was a Colt barrel.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I had an instructor who did this to a Colt barrel no one wanted. He had good luck a .0900" I'd definitely start on the low end. Nothing sucks more than too much gas.
    The 20" gas port is already larger than .090".

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes,

reports of cutting down rifles to ~16" vary wildly

from
    "it runs with the factory port size (.092-.093)"
    to
    "Had to open it up to .110 to get it to run"
    to
    "It worked at first but eventually quit working when dirty and needed the worn gas tube replaced"

Let us know how your experience goes.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast