Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Looking at Three Ambi Magazine Releases

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A friend and customer showed me pictures of several of these clones, as several of us in a FB group were discussing ambi mag releases.

The pics show 5 or 6 units, ostensibly from the same company that sold them but they were obviously made from different shops, as they all have varying degrees of tool marks and other inconsistencies. Tool marks notwithstanding, they all felt different as well, some worked better than others, a few were quite unusable, further proof not a single shop makes them, which isn't a problem in itself, but that none of the shops seem to adhere to tolerances they wouldn't have from the original, is a cause for their erratic and inconsistent levels of performance.

It's easy to reverse engineer something, but the lack of tolerance specs and strict adherence to quality explain the deviations in performance and reliability. We refuse to start a project without TDP as references, all of our products are meant to be improvements over the factory equivalent, but without TDP specs and tolerances, it'd be worse than a gamble, since the results are preordained.

From a manufacturer's perspective, these clones carry MSRPs lower than what it costs us to produce an EMR-A. A $20 item probably costs $7 to produce, where in the US can something like this be produced for $7 or $8? No shops we work with can do that. This cost saving comes from somewhere we all suspected, the pics I saw confirmed it.

If your life depends on it, don't use a clone.
    Last edited by Duffy; 05-25-18 at 10:30.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    A friend and customer showed me pictures of several of these clones, as several of us in a FB group were discussing ambi mag releases.

The pics show 5 or 6 units, ostensibly from the same company that sold them but they were obviously made from different shops, as they all have varying degrees of tool marks and other inconsistencies. Tool marks notwithstanding, they all felt different as well, some worked better than others, a few were quite unusable, further proof not a single shop makes them, which isn't a problem in itself, but that none of the shops seem to adhere to tolerances they wouldn't have from the original, is a cause for their erratic and inconsistent levels of performance.

It's easy to reverse engineer something, but the lack of tolerance specs and strict adherence to quality explain the deviations in performance and reliability. We refuse to start a project without TDP as references, all of our products are meant to be improvements over the factory equivalent, but without TDP specs and tolerances, it'd be worse than a gamble, since the results are preordained.

From a manufacturer's perspective, these clones carry MSRPs lower than what it costs us to produce an EMR-A. A $20 item probably costs $7 to produce, where in the US can something like this be produced for $7 or $8? No shops we work with can do that. This cost saving comes from somewhere we all suspected, the pics I saw confirmed it.

If your life depends on it, don't use a clone.
    have your FA, bolt release, and ambi mag release for these reasons and the fact that your active here. I cant imagine buying anything else.

Chris
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."- Claire Wolfe

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    CDNN is selling the Norgon clone as well for $19.99.
    Manufacturer: ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT Kind of funny for a clone
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Depending on how sanitary I can make the modification, I am going to end up with the Mari-Time Catches on everything that I keep for myself. I learned a long time ago that you modify the least expensive part, so I'll be modifying the catches, not the releases.
    Did you ever get around to it? I am curious how your mods turned out and wanted to get your thoughts.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Did you ever get around to it? I am curious how your mods turned out and wanted to get your thoughts.
    Short annswer, didn't do it.

When I laid it out I would have ended up taking off between 1/2 and 1/2 of the bottom pad of the Mari-Time Catch. When I covered what I was going to take off with white tape, it didn't look aesthetically pleasing - I was pretty sure strength wouldn't be an issue, but not certain, so I passed.

The EMR-A and a Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch live on a pistol lower that I essentially use as the host for my short uppers when they aren't on my SBR.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Short annswer, didn't do it.

When I laid it out I would have ended up taking off between 1/2 and 1/2 of the bottom pad of the Mari-Time Catch. When I covered what I was going to take off with white tape, it didn't look aesthetically pleasing - I was pretty sure strength wouldn't be an issue, but not certain, so I passed.

The EMR-A and a Seekins Enhanced Bolt Catch live on a pistol lower that I essentially use as the host for my short uppers when they aren't on my SBR.
    I was thinking that would be the approach to take. Probably a good abort plan. It's rough doing the Bubba thing on quality, not inexpensive parts.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Good post/review. I've found that it's definitely personal preference when it comes to ambi mag releases; mostly due to finger length. I'm a lefty and have ambi mag releases on all of my lowers. I have short fingers and the Troy was a bit of a reach for me. The KAC was unusable for me; the pad is much too far to the rear, and having to bend the index finger to position it on the pad was very unnatural feeling. Out of the three, the norgon worked the best for me as it's the same position as the pad on the right side. Having the pad very slightly further back like the AXTS ambi lower works well for me, too.
    Amen.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The real deal and its clones, with varying degree of fit and quality.

Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The second and third ones (from the left) seem to be pretty close copies. Which one is the Sig copy?
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Does SIG have a Norgon Ambi-Catch clone? I know they have their won ambi mag catch that operates the same way as our EMR-A.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456