Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricochets off people

Feedback Score

Ricochets off people

We know this happens, seemingly more with pistol bullets, and Jim Cirillo wrote about it.

The theory is the slower, fatter, and rounder the bullet the more likely it is to ricochet off the clothing or bone/skull of a bad guy. With years of jhp's smacking people has this theory been upheld? Or has empirical data proven not shown a correlation?

I found one study that showed no difference. But the bullets were fmj vs sjhp and the lead front of the sjhp simply caved in upon striking the hard barrier used in the test and became rounded during the strike.

I'm especially talking about smaller, slower bullets like .380, .38 special from snubs, .32 and .25. Are the jhp's/sjhp/Lhp's in these calibers really less likely to bounce off bone or is it still just a theory?
    Last edited by Ron3; 03-15-17 at 15:07.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    FWIW, I saw a .25 auto bounce off a butcher hog's skull, years ago. Guy was shooting at close range at an angle.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Treated a bartender that had been shot at a distance of about 2 feet right at the center of his forehead. Round was a .32 FMJ, and scooted around the side of his noggin.

We see the guy laying on the floor in a large-ish pool of his own blood, and motionless. I see the entrance wound on his forehead, and decided to check out the other victim, standing with a decent bleeder.

I get my partner started on him, then go check on the bartender again. Just touched him to check for pulse when he sits bolt upright and yells "MF'er shot me!"

We transport, and I heard Radiology confirmed that the round never penetrated his Cro-Magnon skull. Mongo waddles out of the hospital the same day with a couple of stitches and a hell of a story.

Feedback Score
    Responded to a shots fired call, and upon arrival find a small pool of blood and 2 380 casings...Start following the blood trail and find some teeth...
    Aways down the sidewalk we find our victim, sitting on a bus bench, spitting blood and cursing like a drunk sailor. Some gangster shot him in the mouth, blew out his front teeth and the bullet lodged in the back of his throat....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I probably would have hit him as soon as he sat up!
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

I get my partner started on him, then go check on the bartender again. Just touched him to check for pulse when he sits bolt upright and yells "MF'er shot me!"

How much did that surprise you?! on a scale of 1-10.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Responded to a shots fired call, and upon arrival find a small pool of blood and 2 380 casings...Start following the blood trail and find some teeth...
    Aways down the sidewalk we find our victim, sitting on a bus bench, spitting blood and cursing like a drunk sailor. Some gangster shot him in the mouth, blew out his front teeth and the bullet lodged in the back of his throat....
    Damn. Bullet in the back of his throat? Damn.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Treated a bartender that had been shot at a distance of about 2 feet right at the center of his forehead. Round was a .32 FMJ, and scooted around the side of his noggin.
    Mongo waddles out of the hospital the same day with a couple of stitches and a hell of a story.

Quote Originally Posted by diving dave View Post
    Some gangster shot him in the mouth, blew out his front teeth and the bullet lodged in the back of his throat....

Fore both of these my immediate thought was "Baaaaaad Day..." then corrected myself to "GOOD Day!" after thinking about it a little more. Being alive after those two scenarios... Sheesh. Lucky lucky

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ive seen it happen with small calibers like .22 and big calibers like 45 ACP. With FMJ and HP alike. I think its a mix of angle and luck that produces a ricochet instead of entry into the skull.

Had a drug deal trnn gunfight inside of a car one night. After the first volley of shots both driver and passenger get out. Passenger took a 45 ACP Golden Saber to the strong arm elbow and dropped his gun. Outside the car the driver continues shooting at him over the car. The passenger is in a crouched position shuffling back and forth trying to dodge the bullets. Passenger takes one right in the forehead, just right of center and just below the hairline. Round hit the skull ricochets downward and exits his right cheek, re-enters just behind his right collar bone, penetrates the top of the right lung, exits the lung about half way down, hits a rib, deflects towards the left side of his body, clips the liver and ends up in his spleen. Dude lived.

Had a dude one night get shot in the face at bad breath range with a small caliber handgun, probably a .22 or .25. Square dead center between the eyes. Bullet deflects and travels behind the left eye and exits his left ear, then cuts a perfect groove out of the top of his shoulder.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Numerous times with sub calibers and twice with a .45(forget the ammo) One was multi shot with a ball of bullets under skin at the back of head and another single shot on LE, forehead to ear (under skin), good to go on both.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast