Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ricochets off people

Feedback Score
    know a BPD that shot a dude many years back- bullet sat right there on the surface of his skull. .38

no richochet talk in this thread, but some neat stories.

you do hear about strange paths bullets take once inside the body. maybe this is related.

Feedback Score
    I think it was this forum, someone saw a guy get shot in the side of the ribs with 00 buck and they went around the ribcage and out the other side.

Similar diameter, very round projectile (obviously).

Don't here of that much with rifle rounds.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    FWIW, I saw a .25 auto bounce off a butcher hog's skull, years ago. Guy was shooting at close range at an angle.
    I personally have seen a 38 from a snubbie bounce off a cow forehead with enough velocity to go through the metal barn roof

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    My CCW class instructor also trains LE, and he told us a pretty funny story. SWAT was having a standoff with a big boy down south in his house. Guy grabs a knife and charges one of the Officers. Officer standing to the man's right squeezes off a shot from a 45 ACP handgun and hits the guy right above the eye. Bullet bounces off, and hits the officer in the face. Other than him telling me us this story, I have zero proof it happened.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    How much did that surprise you?! on a scale of 1-10.
    That the dude snapped upright like something out of a budget horror flick? Surprise factor 8.5, I was pretty sure he was DRT.

That he yelled "MF'er shot me"? About 0.7 on the surprise scale. I lost count of how many times I heard that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had bird shot bounce off of my ass. Some still penetrated, but a lot bounced from the blast of about 20 yards or so. Does that count?

I think, generally, it is going to have to do with angle, power of the round, angle, luck, and whether God decides if it is there, or your time. On another note, a friend of mine was told that he wasn't allowed to shoot his Barret on a rifle range down in GA a number of years back, because the range officers were afraid he could skip shot the rounds to a highway that was off in the distance. Never been to the range myself, but found it amusing, my friend didn't, but, I did.

Moral of the story, bullets do strange things somethings.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score

Ricochets off people

Two months ago, at a range in SoCal, we had a shooter killed by a ricochet from a 30 cal rifle bullet. The round went through wood on top of berm, angled down, went through 4x4 wood holding up roof on adjacent berms shooter waiting area, entered victim in back armpit area, through heart, lungs and exit far side of chest.

Bullets do very strange things

http://m.pe.com/articles/safety-8235...ing-range.html
    Last edited by user; 03-19-17 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Two months ago, at a range in SoCal, we had a shooter killed by a ricochet from a 30 cal rifle bullet. The round went through wood on top of berm, angled down, went through 4x4 wood holding up roof on adjacent berms shooter waiting area, entered vicim in back armpit area, through heart, lungs and exit far side of chest.

I remember. I was shooting down the road at Prado that day, and the manager came by and lost his shit on our instructor because we were shooting at steel and he thought it might send rounds over the berm. That was a strange afternoon.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 03-19-17 at 09:53.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Two months ago, at a range in SoCal, we had a shooter killed by a ricochet from a 30 cal rifle bullet. The round went through wood on top of berm, angled down, went through 4x4 wood holding up roof on adjacent berms shooter waiting area, entered victim in back armpit area, through heart, lungs and exit far side of chest.

That's awful!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    That's awful!
    Extremely hard to see. Terrible tragedy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast