Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ricochets off people

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I don't hunt with patched round ball, but a few locals I shoot with do. On a deer a .50 caliber round ball flattens out as it enters the deer and creates a decent would cavity. Penetration is good as well. None of the hunters shoot at a deer any farther than 80 yards.

At what distances are round balls ricocheting off deer?
    I never got distances, but guys were claiming that round balls can deflect off a rib and skim the chest cavity between the hide and rib cage, doing little terminal damage.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    I never got distances, but guys were claiming that round balls can deflect off a rib and skim the chest cavity between the hide and rib cage, doing little terminal damage.
    The Muzzleloader league starts up in a few months. We shoot old sidelock rifles and replicas, not inlines. Several competitors told me they hunt with patched round ball. I'll ask if any of them have had a round ball do this. The few muzzleloader hunters I see on a weekly basis have told me they prefer to hunt deer with the round ball. I hunt paper, clay and steel with my black powder rifle, so I do not have any first hand knowledge of performance on game.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Here's hoping my second post here isn't too necro....

One of my cowerkers: Doe hit by car. Several shots to head, point blank w lc9 and critical duty: no penetration. Neck shot to euthanize.

Fast forward: son's cowerker, same scenario. 2 shots to doe's head at point blank. Merely peeled back skin with riccochet buzzing back by shooter's ear. Interesting part: was a .40 cal! Don't know what round...
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 01-16-18 at 07:49. Reason: Failed to point finger away from self for first scenario! Ha?

Feedback Score
    On my second tour in Iraq had a private in my team get shot by his best friend. They were screwing around, never heard exactly what they were doing but had to be pointing guns directly at each other though. End result was his m4 w 203 had copper on outside of barrel where the bullet traveled and hit the 203 clamp. He got shrapnel from clamp in one of his eyes. Bullet was deflected enough though that it traveled the outside of his skull parted his hair down the middle. He lost 30 percent of his vision in that eye and had a scar on his head. Luckiest shit I’ve seen, survived 5.56 to the head at cqb range

Feedback Score

Ricochets off people

I once had a patient who’d been hit with a 9mm to the forehead, bullet went along the skull and exited scalp about halfway to the back of her head. Never found out what kind of bullet, just caliber.
    Last edited by basinbear; 11-13-18 at 05:50.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaholder View Post
    Updated response: The muzzle loader shooters I compete with have never seen this happen. We are only talking about a dozen people who attend the match. The longest shot on a deer by this group was 100 yards, with most shots being inside 75 yards. Most hunt with a .45 caliber or .50 caliber and load between 80g and 100g of FFG.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Had a friend who was witness to a police shooting in San Fran Cisco where a 12 gauge slug hit the brim of an armed suspect's hat and defected along his temple, having no effect. The subsequent 2nd and 3rd slugs to the perpetrators COM were a different story, however.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Cool necro thread... Got another story.

A couple guys on my squad got in a gunfight with a chick who pulled a 357 on them and nearly shot my Sgt in the face. She got shot twice in a full side profile. Shots at about 10 yards.

1st shot was a 45 230 +P HST hits her shoulder and shatters the humerus bone just below the shoulder joint. Bullet stops in the shoulder.

2nd shot was a 40 180 HST hit her in the armpit area. Bullet goes in straight but when it encounters the heavy muscle and connective tissues around the rib cage, it makes a sharp turn and follows that layer and then exits center chest. Huge exit wound. But the bullet never actually penetrated into the chest cavity.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345