Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
Mostly storage space, and that when my kid comes along, she doesnt have the upper body strength to keep up. I have a sit-in, fishing kayak, and it is cramped. If a line gets snagged, or a hook a monster, it flat out sucks.

I've kicked around picking up a used boat, but the people in this AO on Craigslist and BT are out of their minds. Like, blown out 12' Alumacrafts for as much as a new boat. It's nuts.
I see what you mean about CL over there...yikes!?!?!

If you have your mind set on a boat, then you should get a boat. But, a sit on top kayak is the only way to go for fishing from a kayak, IMO. $500-600 will get you a good, new 12' sit on top. Plenty of space for storage, and pretty stable. I have fished, duck hunted, and bow fished off of mine. Standing up on it and shooting a bow is tricky, but not terribly challenging...t would be better if it was a little bit wider. If it were me, I would tether my kid's boat to mine and drag him along if he had trouble keeping up. There are plenty of tie-down points for that or securing gear. Mine is a 12' Ascend. Just something to think about.