Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring Time Hog Hunting

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CPM View Post
    Anyone in Texas want a hog hunting partner? Have suppressors, downrange military experience, and will travel!
    I would, but I don't own my own land, and I don't have permission to bring others on the places that I have been given permission to hunt on.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Still doing my part to try and thin out the hog population in North Texas, (I know, I know, it's a losing proposition, but I'm still having fun!) I dropped this 200 pounder behind the lake damn that is near my home.

Here's a short video that I was able to take with my new thermal scope. It's a Pulsar LRF Trail XP50. I was shooting unsupported which is why the video is shaky.
    Last edited by TexHill; 01-09-19 at 15:35.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    Still doing my part to try and thin out the hog population in North Texas, (I know, I know, it's a losing proposition, but I'm still having fun!) I dropped this 200 pounder behind the lake damn that is near my home.

Here's a short video that I was able to take with my new thermal scope. It's a Pulsar LRF Trail XP50. I was shooting unsupported which is why the video is shaky.
    Nice shot! how far?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    About 80 yards, so it wasn't a great feat of marksmanship.

I shot him using M193 ammo. I recently ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper, and I'm excited to see how it does against hogs.
    Last edited by TexHill; 04-06-19 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    Went out to do a little coyote hunting this evening and came upon some little piggies.

I took this young boar with my Daniel Defense M4v7LW, Sig Echo I thermal, and Hornady Full Boar ammo.

This 500 lbs. monster was shot last month in Howe, Texas, which is about 20 miles from where I live. I did not shoot it. It is my understanding that the person who did, shot it with a 7mm Rem Mag.

Now that is a hog! I’m a huge 300BLK guy but if faced with that I think I’d be yearning for my 308Win.

Are pigs that big any good on the table? I’ve got zero hog experience (so far at least, working on changing that).
    Last edited by SBRSarge; 04-10-19 at 19:28. Reason: I kin spel reel guud!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have always wondered the same thing. I have "heard" that you want to shoot pigs under 150 pounds for the best eating.

But if you are going to make pulled pork sandwiches with sauce, how tender does the piggy need to be?

Clearly we need empirical data!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have always wondered the same thing. I have "heard" that you want to shoot pigs under 150 pounds for the best eating.

But if you are going to make pulled pork sandwiches with sauce, how tender does the piggy need to be?

Clearly we need empirical data!
    I like the way you think.

Being a service-oriented type of guy, I’ll volunteer to do the shooting to collect the test samples.

Feedback Score

Spring Time Hog Hunting

About 80 yards, so it wasn't a great feat of marksmanship.

I shot him using M193 ammo. I recently ordered a 6.5 Grendel upper, and I'm excited to see how it does against hogs.
    Solid upgrade on caliber for hog hunting.
    What barrel length in that grendel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Theblakester03; 04-11-19 at 22:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRSarge View Post
    Now that is a hog! I’m a huge 300BLK guy but if faced with that I think I’d be yearning for my 308Win.

Are pigs that big any good on the table? I’ve got zero hog experience (so far at least, working on changing that).
    Yes. Contrary to what a lot of people say, they can be. I’ve had friends compliment my 250 lb boar on the grill as some of the best meat they’ve eaten. There are some conditions though.
    If the pig smells straight up horribly, don’t take the meat.
    If it’s a larger pig and it smells like a normal hog/clean kill— brine the meat in iced salt water for a couple days (or use vinegar or some sort of acidic fruit juice and replace the water with fresh ice). This will help tenderize the meat and take the gameyness out.
    Sows and smaller pigs may require less work to get tender good tasting meat, but aren’t necessary for great wild pork in the freezer.
    Glenn Guess has great info on cooking wild pork on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks blakester. I’ve wondered about that.

I guess it is like shooting and eating whitetails; start with a good clean animal and then how they are handled post-kill makes a ton of difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast