Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have several Moras in both stainless and carbon. They are cheap , useful and no tears are shed if I lose or break one.

I also have an Esee 3, and my wife and I both carry Izulas. Only issue I have is the coating near the edge can “clog” your sharpening equipment. I wish they had uncoated blades but the coating does make rust prevention easier.

My main hiking camping/bushcraft knife is a Fallkniven F1 3g steel version. Great steel, holds and edges, gets hair popping sharp. The handle maintains a gippable surface in both wet and cold/wet conditions. I would like to get one of their Pro series next but I am shopping for other things right now.
    Always wanted a Fallkniven but didn't like the full handle design. When they introduced the X series, I had to get one. Better sheath, full tang design, using their top end steel, I got two of them as I couldn't make up my mind. Will keep the larger one and sell the smaller.

73370555_10156597958026517_5908815082971725824_o.jpg
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    For fixed blade, most recently the have been rocking the Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter and the Saddle Mountain Skinner. Fully admit, most of my fixed blade work is for hunting. I have the Saddle for big game and the Canyon for fishing and general backpacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nicely done Will!

Since my last post in the thread, I have acquired an A1 Pro. Then Fallkniven came out with the X-series. I will likely add the S1X and round out the family. I don’t know that you can get a better blade than these for the $$.

Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Always wanted a Fallkniven but didn't like the full handle design. When they introduced the X series, I had to get one. Better sheath, full tang design, using their top end steel, I got two of them as I couldn't make up my mind. Will keep the larger one and sell the smaller.

73370555_10156597958026517_5908815082971725824_o.jpg
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nicely done Will!

Since my last post in the thread, I have acquired an A1 Pro. Then Fallkniven came out with the X-series. I will likely add the S1X and round out the family. I don’t know that you can get a better blade than these for the $$.
    They're not budget knives (the MSRP is lol worthy) for sure but can be had for a good price for a premium knife.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Nicely done Will!

Follow up, here's a nice write up on Fallkniven and my pic above can be found there too:

"Laminated Cobalt Steel and Cowry-X that Hattori advocates, as well as his favored “Hamaguri-ba” (convex blade grind) in their product line. The end result is a knife brand which may very well be the best production knife available today."

http://hattoricollector.com/2015/09/...-boden-sweden/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    Its all personnel. For me it use to be an ESEE 4 or ESEE 3 and 6. Both with a Bahco Laplander Folding Saw and a Vaughan sub zero hatchet. I sold my ESEEs (1095) and now carry an LTRK Genesis (3V) or Next Gen (3V). Either with an LTWK Overland Machete (1075) and/or a Bob Dustrude Quick Buck Saw and/or a Vaughan sub zero hatchet and/or the Bahco Laplander Folding Saw. It depends if Im camping 1-3 days or hiking. 90% of the time its just day hiking with the LTWK Next Gen and the Bahco saw.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Been on a Bark River kick lately.

My most recent addition is this BK9.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I like ESEE. They aren't sexy, but they are tougher than hell, and they will last forever.

I know a guy that sells a lot of 'survival/field' knives to SF candidates, he sells an equal number of ESEE and Bark River. I know squat about Bark River, but they have a good rep.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I like ESEE. They aren't sexy, but they are tougher than hell, and they will last forever.

I know a guy that sells a lot of 'survival/field' knives to SF candidates, he sells an equal number of ESEE and Bark River. I know squat about Bark River, but they have a good rep.
    Absolutely. I have multiple ESEE knives, from the Izula II to the ESEE 5, and they are well made and built to last. ESEE is generally my go-to for fixed blades.

Feedback Score
    No matter what i'm feeling at the time (lately it's been Spyderco Moran), I always have my dad's old KABAR with me. It's comfy and reminds me of him.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast