Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tellum View Post
    I dont own any such knives, cause I want much more utility for survival. I use the Cold steel shovel, without a handle as a "big knife" and a highly modified Crunch multitool, with saw blades to be held in the visegrip of the tool. No knife can come even remotely close to what this combo can do. I can make any length or type of handle needed for the shovel in an hour, which lets it replace an axe, machete,etc.. It can be a paddle, a spear, an adze/hoe. The Crunch has a scoop/gouge blade, a couple of files, a chisel point, a regular carbon steel knife blade, a drill/awl. The very ends of the jaws are ground down to needlenose configuration, too.
    Damn, Angus!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a ontario woodsman (damn ear indestructible) and a smaller 4" blade. Both have their purposes

Feedback Score
    A knife is just a knife. It cant be a machete, prybar, file, visegrip, drill, shovel, paddle, or saw. It can't even make a wooden bowl without cutting you or leaving big gouges inside of the bowl which get full of rotting food particles. If you cut wire with it, dig with it or pry with it, you'll soon ruin it. If you make it big enough to handle such chores, it's not worth a damn for filleting fish, skinning critters or fine whittling.

Feedback Score
    I use, camping, a becker bk2. It's a hoss. I have beaten it all to hell and it keeps on going.

my .02.
    "It is only the warrior who chooses pacifism. All others are condemned to it."

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."
    Dangerous Freedom over Peaceful Slavery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbane.snafoo View Post
    I have a Gerber LMF Infantry II that has some nice features. It has a glass breaker on the handle, a rubber lined handle that is insulated from electrical charges, and a blade sharpener in the sheath. On the nylon for the sheath there are two straps that secure the knife to your leg or your thigh, and a set of MOLLE straps for securing the knife to a vest.
    While I still have my issue Gerber, and it is useful and rugged, it was also a big heavy PIA to tote around.
    Most of us left it in the foot locker and carried an esee 5 or 6 or equivalent.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Becker BK9 combat Bowie, hundreds of online reviews and videos.
    It can't be beat, it won't be beat:

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_JOSHUA View Post
    Becker BK9 combat Bowie, hundreds of online reviews and videos.
    It can't be beat, it won't be beat:
    Except by the esse3 or grip that did not get left at home because the leaf spring Becker bowie was too heavy

Feedback Score
    I do believe that a knife should be used for slicing and stabbing, and chopping should be a last resort. If you have to baton a knife through a hard medium, like firewood, or prying a car-door, that task should be seen as an exception, and not the norm.

I keep stainless steel for kitchen knives that are exposed to acidic foods, or certain steels meant for salt-water exposure. I prefer carbon steel for field-work, since I quickly touch it up or strop it, especially given the unpredictable nature of what you may have to "cut" through.

about $50 , Jääkäripuukko , carbon steel, full tang, easy edge to field sharpen, molded handle torture your hands with strange hot spots.

at the $80 price range, the Mora Garberg Carbon is okay too.

Skrama , almost like a mini machete with a fine edge and a "axe" edge for chopping. I don't feel bad using a Skrama to chop and other tasks meant for an axe since it has plenty of material.

Of course, I love my Bark Rivers, and all the exotics steel if money is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Swamp Rat "Ratmandu" is my go-to "do all" 5" knife. Swamp Rat is made by Busse Combat at their Ohio facility, but doesn't carry the Busse Combat price tag. It uses SR101 steel (modified 92100 ball bearing steel) with the best heat treat in the industry. These knives are indestructible and hold a wicked edge.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast