Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you google "Swamp Rat Ratmandu" you may find ads for the "INFI" steel version. Save your money. INFI is great, but not worth the extra cost.

For the record, I have owned over 80 INFI knives. I currently have three, and would sell them if I could get my money back out of them. SR101 all the way.

Feedback Score
    ESSE 4 is my go to... I found Gerber to be a little brittle ( but that was awhile back I haven't owned one in a long time...maybe its changed)..

I am / have been curious about the avoidance of a partial serration on the blade..can anyone tell me why people shy away from that..... I'm not a subject matter expert so I'm trying to learn

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WornOutGrunt View Post
    ESSE 4 is my go to... I found Gerber to be a little brittle ( but that was awhile back I haven't owned one in a long time...maybe its changed)..

I am / have been curious about the avoidance of a partial serration on the blade..can anyone tell me why people shy away from that..... I'm not a subject matter expert so I'm trying to learn
    They tend to feel a sharp knife will accomplish what serrations will. Personally, I don't mind partial serrations on camp/survival/field knives personally.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    They tend to feel a sharp knife will accomplish what serrations will. Personally, I don't mind partial serrations on camp/survival/field knives personally.
    And serrations tend to be harder to sharpen quickly in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post

Not a serrations fan, but the triangular Lansky dog bones should make that easier and are pretty handy to toss in a pack for touching up other edges.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Harris Knife from Dauntless is an excellent field knife: https://www.dauntlessmfg.com/product-page/the-harris
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post

Good point, but they also need sharpening far less often in my experience, so perhaps it balances out.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I go back and forth on partial serrations.

They are a pain to sharpen, but in my experience stay sharp a very long time. And they will also still cut even if slightly dulled.

For things like rope and similar, dull serrations will beat a dull main blade.

As to all the folks who say you should just keep your main blade sharp, if you are ever in an emergency situation and do not have capability to sharpen, things can change.

I carry my gripptilian everyday, but do not carry sharpening tools. I do keep them in my emergency backpack in my vehicle though.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112