Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Might I add this...for outdoor/landscaping/camping ect...don't ever doubt the value of a good machete. Good machetes are CHEAP and handier than a shirt pocket!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You should consider your terrain and what other tools you plan to take with you. For example, in New England winters I'd want an axe or saw with me as well, so I wouldn't want a large knife to baton as an axe/hatchet works better.

Generally speaking I'm happy with a 3.5-6" fixed blade with a good plain edge, thinner grind (flat or scandi ground not hollow, 1/8 or 3/16 thick spine), and comfortable handle. Single edge only, no false rear edge grind, spear point or drop point, no blade coatings (they grab when splitting wood).

For a nicer blade, I like the Tops Dragonfly. For a budget option, a Mora LMF or something like that works just fine. While most Mora's aren't full tang, you'll struggle to find anyone in real life whose ever broken one.

Most of the "fighting" knives on the market are designed by people who've never killed anyone with them, as evidenced by their sheath designs and blade geometry. The same tends to go with survival knives. The guys who actually do live outdoors with their knives tend to prefer pretty basic (not sexy) knives that aren't nearly as flashy or appealing to the masses looking for something cool.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was doing more research and found this youtube channel, which is very entertaining:

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Check out some of Fred Perrin's work at, https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/det...hp?product=129

And if you are interested training see Michael Janich at, http://www.martialbladeconcepts.com/

He teaches classes all over the place just check the MBC site for this schedule...he is an outstanding instructor.

...great quote from RAH btw.

-Later
    "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil
    ... you know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, USMC, former 1st Marine Division CO

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    If you had the choice, what color would you choose and why? Is bright orange your first choice?
    Yes, bright orange is my first choice on gear like that for several reasons.

It's highly visible. When you are dehydrated, have not eaten food for two days, and fuzzy-headed, you need stuff that does not get easily lost. Or if lost, is easily spotted. My days of wandering the landscape avoiding angry people are long past. Camo I honestly do not need.

It does not scream tactical. I have a GHB in my vehicle, as well as one locked up at work. If they are searched, they are going to look a lot more like emergency preparations than an active shooter gear stash. And yes, I have had that conversation with authorities.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    MORA Knives are also excellent for outdoors...and very economicaly priced. Many many different models.
    Agreed. The Condor line from El Salvador is a very good buy for the money. They are NOT affiliated with the cheap Chinese ripoff company.

I have one of their 14" parangs, and it's excellent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Another Mora user here. Here's one with a ferrocerium rod in the handle for $20:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lig...-rec-prod6461N

I have a half-dozen of the bright orange ones scattered through my gear.
    Yes, bright orange is my first choice on gear like that for several reasons.

It's highly visible. When you are dehydrated, have not eaten food for two days, and fuzzy-headed, you need stuff that does not get easily lost. Or if lost, is easily spotted. My days of wandering the landscape avoiding angry people are long past. Camo I honestly do not need.

It does not scream tactical. I have a GHB in my vehicle, as well as one locked up at work. If they are searched, they are going to look a lot more like emergency preparations than an active shooter gear stash. And yes, I have had that conversation with authorities.
    Amazon had Moras on steal about Christmas time. Another bright orange user stocking up here, too.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have one of their 14" parangs, and it's excellent.
    I haven't heard the word 'parang' for years! At least not since I lived in south east asia.

Feedback Score
    I use Mora knives more than any other for a while now. I have dressed out multiple elk and mule deer, as well as doing basic stuff.

In fact I keep a couple in the kitchen, as they have such nice handling characteristics, and are extremely easy to sharpen.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    I was doing more research and found this youtube channel, which is very entertaining:

I see these knives at gun shows. There's a few different styles and they're not expensive. Between $15 - $35

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast