Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival/general purpose fixed-blade knives

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ESSE 3 is a solid choice. You cannot beat the Mora for the price. I would add Falkniven F1 or S1 to your list.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 01-18-18 at 11:36.

Feedback Score
    Anything by Diving Sparrow Knives. The saker is my most used knife.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    How are you guys finding the steel in the ESSE 4 and 5 range?
    It could be better, and the comfort could be better as well, IMHO. ESEE 4 is a nice blade, but the Survive! GSO-4.1 is very similar design that is offered in vastly superior steels, and it is much more comfortable to use too. I have the GSO-4.1 in CPM-3V steel and it probably is indestructible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While we all wring our hands over the steel, shape, grind and size of the blade, not enough discussion or thought about the handle or handle material occurs. For instance, micarta is great when dry. Get it cold and wet and it's like overcooked okra on Teflon. Know what I mean? Many synthetics get onerous below freezing. Let's not even talk about wood...
    Something to consider for a survival type knife. If you can't properly hold the durn thing in adverse conditions, what good is the type of steel? Know what I am saying?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    The ESSE 3 is a solid choice. You cannot beat the Mora for the price. I would add Falkniven F1 or S1 to your list.
    Thanks for the tips. They all have pros and cons...
    The Mora would do what I need it to do just fine since I am not overly abusive on my kit and the price is certainly attractive, but the dangler-like sheath is a huge turn-off for daily use.
    The ESEE 3 is overbuilt (not a bad thing) and I like the sheath much better (at least in photos) but I'm not a fan of choils.
    The Lite Trekker is honestly at the top of my short list but I can't find many unbiased reviews or positive feedback on Tops in general which makes me a bit skeptical.

I'll look at the Falkniven F1 and S1 next.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    It could be better, and the comfort could be better as well, IMHO. ESEE 4 is a nice blade, but the Survive! GSO-4.1 is very similar design that is offered in vastly superior steels, and it is much more comfortable to use too. I have the GSO-4.1 in CPM-3V steel and it probably is indestructible.
    I've decided I really like plain old carbon steel so 1095 is fine with me. I'd love to try something in 3V and I really like the look of Survive! knives. It's too bad it's such a hassle to get one of them.

I have been an ESEE user since their Rat Cutlery days. I like them a lot. I've gotten over my love of the choil so I really like the look of their HM offerings lately. My favorite ESEE is the 3. I've found the 4 to be too thick for it's blade height. I like thinner edges. I've always wished they would make a 4 in the same blade thickness as the 3. The new PR4 is almost there I guess.

I also like some of the Beckers. The BK15 is my favorite although discontinued. I think the BK10 Crewman would be a more hand-filling survival-type knife. I'm don't like short, thick blades so the BK2 and ESEE 5 have never been up my alley.

I love the Spyderco Southfork but the trailing point (like the BK15) is probably not the best profile for a general purpose knife but would be a great hunting knife. The Spyderco Sprig would make a great all around blade if you don't need the toughness of a carbon steel.

I love micarta and I find it to be grippy when wet. G10 can be a little slippery.

I guess my list of the top of my head would be:

ESEE 3, 4 or 6 HM depending on length or thickness requirements.
    ESEE PR4 (I don't have one personally but it's on my list)
    Becker Crewman
    Spyderco Sprig.

Lots of great options out there from a lot of makers though.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Perhaps under the "you get what you pay for" it should be noted the GSO costs considerably more $, so a bit of an apples/oranges thing there.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Search for "Mora kydex sheath". There is a guy that makes a very nice sheath for the Mora models at reasonable price. I think I paid $25-$30 for the one for my Mora Bushcraft. When I get to my computer later I will look up the link and post. About my favorite general purpose knife. I also like the Buck Pathfinder but the handle is more slippery with blood and guts.

ETA: The website I bought my sheath from is here: https://www.bensbackwoods.com/c2g-ky...-ambidextrous/
    Last edited by NWPilgrim; 01-18-18 at 19:11.
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    Search for "Mora kydex sheath". There is a guy that makes a very nice sheath for the Mora models at reasonable price. I think I paid $25-$30 for the one for my Mora Bushcraft. When I get to my computer later I will look up the link and post. About my favorite general purpose knife. I also like the Buck Pathfinder but the handle is more slippery with blood and guts.

ETA: The website I bought my sheath from is here: https://www.bensbackwoods.com/c2g-ky...-ambidextrous/
    That looks great, thanks for the link!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Becker BK2 with Micarta scales.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast