Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: On loose carrier key screws

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

On loose carrier key screws

Thanks for the shipment Ned.

Put the MOAKS II and OCKS to work on a bolt that was sporting YFS screws and marginal staking tonight.

After de-greasing everything, I used Loctite 620 to create a gasket, torqued to 55 and let the MOAKS II go to work.

Last edited by HKGuns; 12-11-21 at 07:46.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quite welcome, happy stakin'!

As to how it's done at the factory I can only comment on those factories that are using my hydraulic staker (rate < 950 / hour). But I feel safe in saying that many of those that aren't using mine are using something that is similar in that their movement is simultaneous and from the sides. Talking here about the ones whose carriers look well-staked like Colt, FN, SIG-- and others. But many of course aren't making their own carriers back in the carrier department, they buy them on the outside. There is not a damned thing wrong with that, it makes a ton of sense from the economy of manufacture side as well as the quality side, given that the companies involved are quality-conscious.

Some of course are using something else that is not doing a good job at all; others are not staking at all.

I usually can't tell for sure on a well-staked carrier if it was done with my machine or not, since it makes stakes that are dimensionally in conformance with the print. So, they look just the same as stakes done on other equipment that give a to-spec stake.

The benchtop one stakes from the top, again, all four stakes simultaneously (rate >350 / hour).

The hand tools, I agree with the idea that the best use would be to stake from both sides simultaneously as best one can, but in years now of selling thousands of these (never really did an overall count), I never had any feedback to the effect that screws were being shifted over and breaking. Sometime maybe this winter I will try to make a hole in the skedge and test for this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    At SHOT I saw a fair amount of BCG's that had my OCKS in them and were staked on my machines. One outfit that is using several of my hydraulic stakers commented, "It's the perfect machine!" That was very gratifying!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    At SHOT I saw a fair amount of BCG's that had my OCKS in them and were staked on my machines. One outfit that is using several of my hydraulic stakers commented, "It's the perfect machine!" That was very gratifying!
    Can we see one in action on video? Asking out of curiosity.

I've seen a picture of a staking machine at the Colt factory, but not sure how old the picture was.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OK.... because it's you...... I just put this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocnwVNI6Qwg

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

This was a quick vid of a test run and not intended for publication, quality is not great.

Obviously this is not a production setting. In normal operation it is actuated with a two-button box (with a production counter on it). So here, if you time it, it's about an 8-second cycle which is 900 / hour. If carriers come to the staking station properly staged and boxed keys-up, that rate gets a lot higher. Staging and flow is all-important-- how the operator moves them from undone to done, how the boxes are flowed to and from the station, and then you have to allow for some break time, etc. Actual "cyclic" is probably 1200/hour or more..... but I never ran one for an hour. One outfit has at this point staked well over a million carriers using the Hydro-MO.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Thank you. That's pretty cool and educational.

Feedback Score
    the MOMOAKS is badass. Only took me almost to 2 years to get me cheap boss at the time to buy one. Put OCKS and stake em and forget it. Those screws arent gonna budge.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718