Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: On loose carrier key screws

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Your stuff always looks exceptional in both form and function Roger. Your clearly OCD about everything you design and make

I also agree that it's really hard to improve upon a known mfg. F/A BCG, however the OCKS appears to have done that.

I took staking for granted til I got into USGI M1 carbines, than I saw the importance of how staking plays out over decades in many cases of shooting a rifle. In my short time learning them, I've seen multiple arsenal installed staked sights, and piston nuts come loose.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    A simply stellar idea....well done Sir
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you guys, and thank you Ned!
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Duffy and Ned you guys never cease to amaze me!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Cory, we've come a long way since 2015
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've tried my best to proliferate the OCKS but as one might expect, the smaller outfits, hands-on managed by people who are interested in quality and reputation more than just making and selling, have been the most receptive. I've sent samples to every mfgr under the sun and pretty sure only a small percentage of them ever even got to someone in the company who knows what a carrier key screw is. Others maybe were concerned about the price, I mean crap, is it really worth putting a few more coins into the production cost, just to make sure the gun will work?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Does SIONICS use OCKS?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ned, your observation mirrors ours. Businesses exist to make a profit, I'm all for the market and capitalist economy so I'm all for it. FCD isn't a charity either lol. Don't be discouraged, we're doing what we can muster to spread the word. For what little cost OCKS presents, it brings a host of benefits to the table, we're the type that will lavish spending on something but only if they have real value. I've been thinking about writing an article for our website about selective emphasis, where above and beyond is a baseline, and some parts get more development and machining time because they're more important, and about our willingness to spend more on a particular part of a product if the cost directly translates to durability, reliability and performance, but save time and money by not doing lifestyle-hipster-fashion aesthetics.

Intricate machining that makes a part look cool but doesn't do anything else is deceptive, it's window dressing. Folks that are willing to machine a part that can't be seen to reduce weight (in stark contrast with Gucci lightening cuts and skeletoned surfaces), or use OCKS that are completely invisible once installed (and forfeit any and all bragging rights), will be the customers you have identified.

Folks like us don't get noticed much, but Ned, for those that know, your staking tools and OCKS are very much appreciated in some well respected circles.

With that, I'll leave you this: Esse quam videri--To be, rather than to seem.
    Last edited by Duffy; 11-11-18 at 09:56.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thank you very much and back atcha.

Yeah, the gun decorators, as I call them. I'm all for stuff looking cool but it kinda has to come after you make sure it works ;-)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Bumping to the top because, I was troubleshooting a gun (not my own). In addition to the barrel nut not being torqued correctly, castle nut being un-staked, flash-hider being grossly undersized, H0 buffer, gas block just about touching the handguard, the chamber being .223, but marked 5.56, no dry lube, slightly off-center gas port, and some other things, it had inadequately torqued Chinese screws with virtually un-knurled, nearly smooth diameters with otherwise great staking.

Ned, order is inbound.

Edit; I’ll prolly grab some from FCD.
    Last edited by 1168; 03-29-20 at 14:17.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast