Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: On loose carrier key screws

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Bumping to the top because, I was troubleshooting a gun (not my own). In addition to the barrel nut not being torqued correctly, castle nut being un-staked, flash-hider being grossly undersized, H0 buffer, gas block just about touching the handguard, the chamber being .223, but marked 5.56, no dry lube, slightly off-center gas port, and some other things, it had inadequately torqued Chinese screws with virtually un-knurled, nearly smooth diameters with otherwise great staking.

Ned, order is inbound.

Edit; I’ll prolly grab some from FCD.
    Just yesterday brought home my 20" SPR from the smith. I used a Young MFG NM Bolt Carrier with a BCM bolt. I had him remove the chink screws, and re-do with OCKS...and then STAKE them. Ive talked with Mr. Young on the phone, he does NOT like it when people question him about his screws or lack of staking. So, I just had it done while my rifle was being built. The smith didnt even charge for it.
    Also- 1168..may I ask as to the manufacturer of the piece you were working on?
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 03-29-20 at 16:18.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Just yesterday brought home my 20" SPR from the smith. I used a Young MFG NM Bolt Carrier with a BCM bolt. I had him remove the chink screws, and re-do with OCKS...and then STAKE them. Ive talked with Mr. Young on the phone, he does NOT like it when people question him about his screws or lack of staking. So, I just had it done while my rifle was being built. The smith didnt even charge for it.
    Also- 1168..may I ask as to the manufacturer of the piece you were working on?
    He bought it secondhand. I say secondhand rather than used, because it doesn’t appear to have been shot much. Receiver is a PSA, but is marked “multi” for caliber, and the barrel does not appear to be PSA. Thats the only logo on any part. So its probably a gun-show parts mutt assembled on a stripped lower.

BCG is marked MPI on the bolt with white lettering, not electropenciled. No idea who made it.

You get what you pay for.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    He bought it secondhand. I say secondhand rather than used, because it doesn’t appear to have been shot much. Receiver is a PSA, but is marked “multi” for caliber, and the barrel does not appear to be PSA. Thats the only logo on any part. So its probably a gun-show parts mutt assembled on a stripped lower.

BCG is marked MPI on the bolt with white lettering, not electropenciled. No idea who made it.

You get what you pay for.
    Thank you brother, and amen.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm very happy to see Ned's OCKS being used by more manufacturers than my last post in 2018, I hope we have done our part in extolling its virtues. We do this with products we believe and use. Ned's OCKS and Vltor's A5 are two of the very best examples, we push these products for the end user's benefit, and would do the same if we didn't carry and use them ourselves.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This week I delivered another of my hydraulic staking machines. The rate on these is >850 carriers / hour. I mean, "cyclic" is about 1100-1200 but you have to allow for moving boxes around, breaks, etc. I have eight or nine of them in use now... I think the state of carrier key staking across the industry is going up but there are some holdouts. I'm surprised how poorly some continue to do it.... well, mildly surprised.

From Tuesday's test run:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    A thing of beauty. Are you able to say who uses your equipment?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    That is (conservatively) a million + bolt carriers per year. Are any of your customers even close to that kind of volume?

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-27-20 at 17:23.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    That’s some volume/rate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    This week I delivered another of my hydraulic staking machines. The rate on these is >850 carriers / hour. I mean, "cyclic" is about 1100-1200 but you have to allow for moving boxes around, breaks, etc. I have eight or nine of them in use now... I think the state of carrier key staking across the industry is going up but there are some holdouts. I'm surprised how poorly some continue to do it.... well, mildly surprised.

From Tuesday's test run:
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Nobody ever told me not to say or had me sign NDA's but to me it's an unwritten thing and not necessary to discuss even, so..... not gonna say. "Places that care about doing it right", that's one way of saying it. :-)

I will say that volumes are in the tens and tens and tens of thousands a year, into the hundreds of thousands, but not up to a million-- as far as I know..... but then I honestly don't have hard info on production numbers. I will say some places have more than one.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Nobody ever told me not to say or had me sign NDA's but to me it's an unwritten thing and not necessary to discuss even, so..... not gonna say. "Places that care about doing it right", that's one way of saying it. :-)

I will say that volumes are in the tens and tens and tens of thousands a year, into the hundreds of thousands, but not up to a million-- as far as I know..... but then I honestly don't have hard info on production numbers. I will say some places have more than one.
    Thank you. Its honestly encouraging to know that the industry continues to improve their products and that folks like yourself continue to innovate and develop the technology to make the improvements happen.

Andy

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast