Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dpms recon ??,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    A 308 AR in the $1K range.... you get what you paid for...
    Armalite AR-10As can be had in that range, and they are generally far better than DPMS.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would say when someone else releases a small frame .308 in the $1k range it would be accurate to say there is no reason to own one. Until then I can see a good reason. I bought one knowing I would be changing some things to make it run like I want it to. They are notoriously over gassed, so I would start by either changing the receiver extension to a true AR10 length with a true AR10 buffer or use an adjustable gas block. I did both for the fact that I can use a standard buffer instead of the stubby one. Another thing to look for is the firing pin hole in the bolt as the early models were severely over-sized and DPMS will correct it. Even with the changes I made the rifle is still sub $1800 and I more than likely would have made the same changes on any other .308 I would have purchased.
    Last edited by Jeepman1320; 04-02-17 at 16:16.

Feedback Score
    Was this Hornady Superformance ammo by any chance?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman1320 View Post
    I would say when someone else releases a small frame .308 in the $1k range it would be accurate to say there is no reason to own one. Until then I can see a good reason. I bought one knowing I would be changing some things to make it run like I want it to. They are notoriously over gassed, so I would start by either changing the receiver extension to a true AR10 length with a true AR10 buffer or use an adjustable gas block. I did both for the fact that I can use a standard buffer instead of the stubby one. Another thing to look for is the firing pin hole in the bolt as the early models were severely over-sized and DPMS will correct it. Even with the changes I made the rifle is still sub $1800 and I more than likely would have made the same changes on any other .308 I would have purchased.
    Wasn't Remington supposed to release a "militarized" G2?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most reviews I've seen are, "meh..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the DPMS GII and while not a ~$2500 rifle, does what I expect it to when I shoot it. I don't expect it to shoot like a ~$2,500 rifle and use it like a a tool out of my toolbox when I don't don't need expensive super precise tools.

I'm going to hazard a guess that his problems are ammo related. Does this rifle have problems with common 'Wal-mart available' modern commercial ammunition? Or, are we talking about old mil-surplus with unknown handling and storage or something else?

Feedback Score

Dpms recon ??,

The first thing that needs to be done to the GII is put an adjustable gas block on it. Mine shoots nice with the gas turned down properly and shoots sub moa.

As to it blowing primers, I would look at the ammo first. Shooting really hot ammo in an auto isn't a good idea IMO.
    Last edited by KUSA; 04-30-17 at 12:25.

Feedback Score
    He shoots nothing but hornady 168 gr amax rounds. It's issued to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sounds like an ammo issue. My guess is he is using Hornady Super Performance. Does the problem occur with other ammunition brands? I have a DPMS Gen 2 Hunter with 20 inch barrel. I run fairly stout 165 and 168 grain hand loads for elk. Never had an issue with blown primers or reliability, MOA or better with most ammo, it has a nice 2 stage trigger, weighs just over 7 lbs with a carbine receiver extension and is just slightly longer than my 16 inch 5.56 carbines. There is nothing else out there that I am aware of at any price that offers such a slim and lightweight receiver.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You might want to ask your questions over on the 308AR forum. Plenty of guys there with a ton of experience and willing to help.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast