Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Barrel: What would you do?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Short Barrel: What would you do?

I'm looking into making an SBS to go along with my SBR. So... for a home defense/SHTF kinda fun gun, would you go for an 870 or an 1100 with 14" barrel?

I'd love a M4 Benelli, but they are too spendy for now. So.. for a lower cost, high quality SBS, I was leaning towards an 870 or possibly an 1100. I'm a southpaw so the 1100 might not be as fun for me as an 870, although maybe it wouldn't bother me having the shells fly past my nose... the 870 is fine (right handed one) and so is the AR.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    SBS is a waste in my opinion. It's a fairly cheap NFA item. So if you do go for it, you're not out a lot of cash. But I never even shoot or get my SBS out of the locker.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    SBS is a waste in my opinion. It's a fairly cheap NFA item. So if you do go for it, you're not out a lot of cash. But I never even shoot or get my SBS out of the locker.
    I just think it would be a fun (to shoot) low cost addition to the arsenal. In an HD situation, a SBS might perform better and safer than a 5.56 too.

We'll see.. maybe I'll forget it and buy more AR recievers and Magazines before Obama takes away our guns! LOL

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon G23 View Post
    I'm looking into making an SBS to go along with my SBR. So... for a home defense/SHTF kinda fun gun, would you go for an 870 or an 1100 with 14" barrel?

I'd love a M4 Benelli, but they are too spendy for now. So.. for a lower cost, high quality SBS, I was leaning towards an 870 or possibly an 1100. I'm a southpaw so the 1100 might not be as fun for me as an 870, although maybe it wouldn't bother me having the shells fly past my nose... the 870 is fine (right handed one) and so is the AR.

Thoughts?
    There are a bunch of factory Remington 870 Police Magnum 14" guns out there right now, the "U.S. Secret Service" model. No idea if it was an overrun or canceled contract or what, but they're about $500-$600 and come with a decent set of ghost right sights, Wilson Combat 1 round extension, and Speedfeed stock.

Keep in mind that a 14" 870 is about the same length overall as a 16" AR carbine, so it's not as compact as a SBR. Still a useful and fun gun, though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    There are a bunch of factory Remington 870 Police Magnum 14" guns out there right now, the "U.S. Secret Service" model. No idea if it was an overrun or canceled contract or what, but they're about $500-$600 and come with a decent set of ghost right sights, Wilson Combat 1 round extension, and Speedfeed stock.

Keep in mind that a 14" 870 is about the same length overall as a 16" AR carbine, so it's not as compact as a SBR. Still a useful and fun gun, though.
    If I bought a factory one, wouldn't I have to pay to $200 to transfer it to my Class III Plus pay another $200 to transfer to me or can the seller send it to another class III with no fee?? I dont think thats the case... so it would cost around $1,000 vs. just putting a BBL on a $300 870 and paying the $200

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    In an HD situation, a SBS might perform better and safer than a 5.56 too.
    A shotgun (short barreled or otherwise) will do almost nothing better than the 5.56 carbine in the home defense role. If you select a shotgun round that's "safe" for wall penetration or whatever... you're also selecting a round that won't penetrate vitals and guarantee threat stop.

If you just take a simple pros/cons of shotgun, you'll see that the shotgun falls short of the 5.56 in:

Capacity
    Recoil
    Flash
    Penetration
    Modularity/accessories (lights)

Shotgun isn't the worst weapon to choose, but there's no way it's a better choice than the carbine.

That said, if you like blasting with the shotgun, go for it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If I bought a factory one, wouldn't I have to pay to $200 to transfer it to my Class III Plus pay another $200 to transfer to me or can the seller send it to another class III with no fee?? I dont think thats the case... so it would cost around $1,000 vs. just putting a BBL on a $300 870 and paying the $200
    No. Buy it from an FFL/SOT who will transfer it tax free on a Form 3 to your local FFL/SOT, then you pay one $200 tax on your Form 4.

You're paying one $200 tax no matter how you do it. Also, if you can get an 870P for $300, please let me know where.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrowne1 View Post
    Also, if you can get an 870P for $300, please let me know where.
    I didn't mean a NEW 870 and I'm not sure I said a "P" model either. But I see wingmasters in good shape "often" at the local gun shows.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    A shotgun (short barreled or otherwise) will do almost nothing better than the 5.56 carbine in the home defense role. If you select a shotgun round that's "safe" for wall penetration or whatever... you're also selecting a round that won't penetrate vitals and guarantee threat stop.

If you just take a simple pros/cons of shotgun, you'll see that the shotgun falls short of the 5.56 in:

Capacity
    Recoil
    Flash
    Penetration
    Modularity/accessories (lights)

Shotgun isn't the worst weapon to choose, but there's no way it's a better choice than the carbine.

That said, if you like blasting with the shotgun, go for it.
    After reading this... I think you are probably right... well for sure you are on many points.. maybe all points!! Plus... the 12ga ammo is getting pretty spendy these days too. Maybe I'll just buy more 556 ammo and more toys for my SBR!! :-)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After reading this... I think you are probably right... well for sure you are on many points.. maybe all points!! Plus... the 12ga ammo is getting pretty spendy these days too. Maybe I'll just buy more 556 ammo and more toys for my SBR!! :-)

No...definitely get a SBS. ......Just becuase you can, and your arsenal desires the addition.

You might also consider a Benelli M2 SBS. I saw one in person recently NIB cheaper than a NIB NON SBS Benelli M2.

It was $869 whereas the non SBS was $969. Yeah with the stamp it's more, but to most of us it's not the total out the door price that's the deciding factor.

Plus if you already have 1 or 2 SBR's, you can almost get 2 SBS's for the price of 1 Colt 6933.

The Remmy 870 SBS USSS is a good choice too. It has tritium ghost ring inserts and I was told it actually has a factory modified? choke which is unusual for an SBS.

Cheapest I've seen an instock 870 USSS of late is $699.

Also from what an SOT relayed to me, Remington will not sell a SBS (supposedly) to any non governent entity. SO that makes a "new" factory Remington SBS a pretty worthwhile addition if you're into boomsticks.

The only thing that contradicts this is the new SBS MCS system that goes for over $2k that I have seen on several sites on the net. But these could always be agency backouts which allows them, like these 870's, to end up in the hands of individuals.

I found out the scoop on the 870 USSS last week (a bit late to the game I might add). An ffl/sot in TN bough a little over 300 of them aftter Remington made them for a follow up order that never panned out form the Secret Cervix.

The TN FFL then sold them to a good many TN LE agencies as well as individuals and other ffl/sot's.

Last edited by geezerbutler; 09-26-08 at 09:28. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast