Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JP tuned spring in A5 buffersystem

Feedback Score

JP tuned spring in A5 buffersystem

Any reason not to run a JP tuned rifle length spring in an A5 BCM mid length system? I haven't test fired it yet but it does feel very stiff, other than cycling issues there shouldn't be any danger of catastrophic damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Only one way to find out how well it runs.
    Cant see how it would hurt.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been running one in my A5 (w/ A5H3) BCM 14.5" mid length with no issues suppressed or not suppressed.

Feedback Score
    I don't know the loadings of this spring to make a comparison, but it's really unlikely that a spring engineered for the A5 would cause some catastrophic event for the OP. It may not time some events as favorable as other options, but I really doubt anything catastrophic would occur instantly. It would be more of comparison between MRBF's and MRBS's as a trend when used as intended.

Feedback Score
    It's a stainless steel spring that has been polished. I think the "tuned" verbiage is just marketing, but I digress. In my A5, I think it worked wonderfully (compared to three other springs), but I prefer chrome silicon. For twenty bucks, Sprinco is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies. I just ordered the JP because I could get it and A5 buffers at the same time. If it doesn't work or doesn't run the way I like I'll try a Sprinco.

Feedback Score
    JP spring functions perfect with M855, overgassed so cheap steel should work great. Already running A5 with A5H2 buffer and I think the only real solution is an adjustable gas block. BTW running a Faxon gunner barrel @ 6lb 4oz! On the way home I picked up a Surefire brake

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tanktop View Post
    JP spring functions perfect with M855, overgassed so cheap steel should work great. Already running A5 with A5H2 buffer and I think the only real solution is an adjustable gas block. BTW running a Faxon gunner barrel @ 6lb 4oz! On the way home I picked up a Surefire brake

Nice. Please send photos!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    It's a stainless steel spring that has been polished. I think the "tuned" verbiage is just marketing, but I digress. In my A5, I think it worked wonderfully (compared to three other springs), but I prefer chrome silicon. For twenty bucks, Sprinco is the way to go.
    Pardon the thread necromancy but this comes up early in a search for the JP spring so I think it should be corrected. WS6 found that the JP Tuned & Polished spring rusted very quickly; it is not stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I have continued my corrosion testing to include JP's tuned and polished spring. However, it failed (all 3 that I ordered...) before they got to my house...

I am disappointed in the JP "polished and tuned" springs I ordered. I am a corrosion-phobe, and test things beyond realism when it comes to that aspect of performance. Why? It's humid where I live. I've had firearms damaged by rust before even in less humid areas. The 3 springs I ordered arrived pre-corroded in their wrappers. Now, it wasn't BAD, but you have to understand how springs work. The surface of a spring is VERY important to the properties of it. Moreso than the core or intermediate material, regarding its "ability to spring". What's more, half of the description of these things is "polished". They aren't too "polishy and slick" when they are rusted on the surface. Rust by nature tends to be a bit rough. So what did I do? I popped one of the corroded springs into my dish-washer. Why? It simulates what I might take the rifle through regarding humidity and rain at an all-day training course, or hunting. The wash cycle is not even close to done yet, and the spring is looking...rough. As in, like a Cheeto, after about 15 minutes. Might be good in a competition gun, but for a duty rifle that may ride in a hot, humid police vehicle, or be taken out on a call in the rain, or trained with, or hunted with...I'd make a difference choice. It not only failed my rather "tough" testing, it arrived rusted in what appeared to be an almost air-tight package.

Rust can clearly be seen evidenced both on the blue paper inside the wrapper, and to the right of the rust spots on the wrapper, seen on the surface of the spring.

I have not contacted JP, because this is not a customer service or product failure issue, it is a design concept flaw of using un-coated music-wire in the wrong environmental application. While one can argue "your gun won't go in the dish-washer!", I can argue "A polished spring should not arrive corroded, and the fact that it did indicates that the process will likely continue at any out-door match, if it can take hold in a warehouse within the safety of its factory packaging."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Pardon the thread necromancy but this comes up early in a search for the JP spring so I think it should be corrected. WS6 found that the JP Tuned & Polished spring rusted very quickly; it is not stainless.
    The 'Stainless' designation does not and never has meant 'rust proof'.

I dare you to grab one of your nice SS match barrels and do the same stupid dishwasher test the guy you guoted described doing with his JP springs. Let us know how it all works out with that Stainless barrel...

Under any sort of half ass normal circumstances these JP springs are not going to rust anything like you describe. You would know this if you had any experience at all actually using them in a firearm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast