Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    130gr at 2200 FPS out of 12" is better than 7.62x39 in effeciency.

Yeah. Pretty decent performance from the short barrel. Actually the 130's are working better than I'd expected. I've shot them on paper out to 200 yards with pretty decent results.

I backed my load off a few tenths and am now getting a pretty solid 2,150 fps average. This is with the 130gr BTSP bullet.

Plugging in a BC of .400 and 2,150 as muzzle velocity I'm getting this data with a 50yd zero.

Depending on how tough these bullets are I assume we'd still see some expansion out to 250 yards or so. But that's a complete guess on my part.

Something I might mess with is a flat based 130gr bullet. That should give me a bit more case capacity. Maybe I can get a wee bit more velocity going this route.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 11-18-18 at 17:00.
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If anyone's still following this thread and/or gotten into this little cartridge I wanted to pass these along:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...peer-gold-dot/
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    If anyone's still following this thread and/or gotten into this little cartridge I wanted to pass these along:

https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bull...peer-gold-dot/
    Gold Dots .277 are still for sale. Just ordered some for my Wolverine.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ready.Fire.Aim View Post
    Gold Dots .277 are still for sale. Just ordered some for my Wolverine.
    What length barrel are you running?

I haven't messed with my upper in awhile. Last thing I was doing was messing around with 130gr bullets. I got a load about where I want it in terms of velocity but that's about all I've done. Never did test for accuracy, etc.

The best supersonic bullets are likely those in the 90gr range such as the Nosler bonded and Speer Gold Dot. Still, they can be fairly expensive and don't come up on the pulldown market too often. 130s are easier to find in this regard. Last I messed with them, I was getting about 2,150 fps from my 12" barrel. I don't think that's too shabby.

In other Wolverine news, there is an effort to get the cartridge before the CIP board in Europe. I believe it is scheduled for review in January. If the specs are approved by CIP it will hopefully lead to some ammo from PPU and S&B. Maybe even cheap steel cased stuff? Any and all would be good.

Last edited by Tokarev; 09-10-19 at 06:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's something a bit different.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...al-conversion/

Not my first choice of a firearm to convert but it would be a fun toy none the less.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That old graphic reminded me to do an updated one.

Here's something a bit different.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...al-conversion/

Not my first choice of a firearm to convert but it would be a fun toy none the less.

Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I think, logistically, the .277 WLV appears to be the most economic choice if, hypothetically, the military were to charge forward with replacing the 5.56 with a bigger round. Only a barrel change for very little gain in weight and a round that can do almost everything the 6.8 SPC can.

One thing I wonder though, why 6.8 instead of 6.5? So far, the only 6.5 round in the 5.56 case I've seen is the 6.5 PCC, and that has too short a neck and shoulder. I figure if you neck the .277 WLV down to 6.5, you'd get a round with better external ballistics and very similar terminal ballistics in the same weight bullets.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I think, logistically, the .277 WLV appears to be the most economic choice if, hypothetically, the military were to charge forward with replacing the 5.56 with a bigger round. Only a barrel change for very little gain in weight and a round that can do almost everything the 6.8 SPC can.

One thing I wonder though, why 6.8 instead of 6.5? So far, the only 6.5 round in the 5.56 case I've seen is the 6.5 PCC, and that has too short a neck and shoulder. I figure if you neck the .277 WLV down to 6.5, you'd get a round with better external ballistics and very similar terminal ballistics in the same weight bullets.
    Mad Dog Weapons does have a 6mm wildcat as well as a .257 wildcat that are both based off the 223. I haven't messed with either but would guess performance is pretty close to the 25-45 Sharps.

As I understand the design history of the 277 WLV, a 6.8 bullet was chosen because of existing 6.8 defense and/or hunting bullets in the 90-ish grain range as well as because there are some 150+ grain bullets available. I believe the idea was to create a cartridge that offered "better" ballistics than the 300 BLK while still being capable of subsonic/suppressed use with the heavies. Case length was maximized for 90gr bullets although others work too.

With the above in mind; most available 6.5 bullets are extra long and pointy. I don't know if a 277 case would be short enough to allow a 6.5 bullet to be seated at 2.26" or not. My guess is probably not.

An option for 6.5 in a 223 is something like the 6.5 Whisper. A JD Jones wildcat but little info seems to exist. There's also the 6.5 MPC. Another Jones wildcat with very little info...

And there's the 6.5 PCC:

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/11/6-5...-the-ar15m-16/

Last edited by Tokarev; 10-02-19 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, that all makes sense. I also didn't take into account the ability for it be more effective as a subsonic round.

I hope this round someday gains traction. With the military now interested in doing a 6.8 caliber-and a doubt these new telescoping round rifles and MGs are going to amount to anything-this would be, in my opinion, probably the best option, at least short term.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    An option for 6.5 in a 223 is something like the 6.5 Whisper. A JD Jones wildcat but little info seems to exist. There's also the 6.5 MPC. Another Jones wildcat with very little info...

And there's the 6.5 PCC:

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/11/6-5...-the-ar15m-16/
    There are a bunch of 6.5 variants based on 223. In fact my first thought when I saw the wolverine stuff was okay here we go another flavor of the same.

As soon as you head down 6.5 PPC path you're essentially 90% to a Grendel, might as well cut to that can get ammunition availability including steel cased.

My read: All of the above are non-starters for the US military mainstream usage... benefits are not worth the logistics impact, especially with the performance they're getting out of heavier bullets in 556 now.

I'm a grendel fan, it's an excellent cartridge in its own right. I'm sure the 6.8 SPC fans would say the same. Neither are going to be mainstream US Army anytime soon. They will LeapFrog that performance increase. Or will wait till they can.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast