Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

I'm curious about the 277 Wolverine and am looking for feedback from shooters who might have some experience with this cartridge in shorter barrels.

I like the 300BLK and enjoy shooting it. But it doesn't put out very impressive numbers, velocity-wise, unless lighter bullets are used. Even then the 2,350fps from a 110gr bullet becomes 2,200fps from a short barrel.

The Wolverine is supposed to address the low velocity by using a case that is similar to the 7.62X40WT but necked down for smaller and lighter bullets. Apparently 2600fps with 90gr bullets is possible with the 277.

But what about from something like a 10in barrel? Does anyone have experience in this area? Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's some recent info on the cartridge and its creator. Also, the cartridge has been (or will be very soon) submitted to SAAMI for industry approval.

http://blog.westernpowders.com/2016/...-of-a-wildcat/
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sounds like a very interesting ballistic profile. I agree with the author that if the velocity can be kept steady with a good 110 grain bullet, you have the makings for a pretty awesome SD load. Looks to be all the same except barrel. Kudos to them for that.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Nice comparison with the 300 blk and the 6.8 spc
    http://ar15hunter.com/the-ferocious-...watch-in-2015/

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    What barrel length were those comparisons made with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    What barrel length were those comparisons made with?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Doesn't say :-(

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since I'm curious about any real or imagined benefit to this cartridge over the 300BLK and since it does not appear that anyone has any personal feedback I'll see if I can't find a 12.5in barrel. I already have a 300BLK in this length so I can shoot side by side. I should also be able to try both cartridges on paper at 100 yards and on steel at 300 yards.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-20-17 at 03:14.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What does it do better than 6.8 spc?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by khc3 View Post
    What does it do better than 6.8 spc?
    It approaches SPC supersonic performance, while being a super easy swap, just like 300BLK.

It does subsonic nicely as well. The SPC can do subsonic, but requires the heaviest bullets to take up the extra case capacity.
    Last edited by Clint; 04-20-17 at 18:17.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Since I'm curious about any real or imagined benefit to this cartridge over the 300BLK and since it does not appear that anyone has any personal feedback I'll see if I can't find a 12.5in barrel. I already have a 300BLK in this length so I can shoot side by side. I should also be able to try both cartridges on paper at 100 yards and on steel at 300 yards.

Supposedly quieter than 300BLK in subsonic use.

Higher velocity with lighter bullets than 300BLK in supersonic use.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast