Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 277 Wolverine General Thoughts and Experiences?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I'm not hunting with mine but wanted 12.5" as sort of a do-it-all-length. Enough barrel to get some velocity but also short enough to be somewhat handy with my suppressor attached.

Browsing the MDWS website it looks like the 12.5" barrel has been dropped from the lineup in favor of either shorter or longer barrels. I suppose, as often happens with 12.5" barrels, sales are quite limited. It seems people either want as short as they can get or stay at 16+. Not much left for "intermediate" short stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    The 12.5" mid gas 6.8 barrels are my second best seller after the 16". 10.5" barrels with a carbine gas are well below the number of 12.5s sold. Maybe the 6.8 being 150-200fps faster than the wolverine makes a difference when people can use a 12.5" 6.8 and still get more velocity than they can with a 16" wolverine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's another source for loaded ammo. I assume velocities are taken from a 16" barrel:

https://www.druidhillarmory.com/home...rine-c45547717

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Heres my take on the .277 Wolverine.
    When Harrison first developed it and then later MDW decided to market it I understood there might be some that wanted to shoot a .277 out of an AR15 with standard bolts and mags.
    However fast forward to today and with the 6.8SPC, .224 Valkyrie and 22 Nosler as well as a host of wildcats all using 6.8 bolts and mags. Coupled with the availability of 6.8 bolts and mags.
    I really don't see why someone would want a 6.8/.277 caliber that isn't capable of pushing 110, 115, 120 and 130 grain projectiles and is 200fps slower with lighter projectiles.
    But thats just me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraja View Post
    Heres my take on the .277 Wolverine.
    When Harrison first developed it and then later MDW decided to market it I understood there might be some that wanted to shoot a .277 out of an AR15 with standard bolts and mags.
    However fast forward to today and with the 6.8SPC, .224 Valkyrie and 22 Nosler as well as a host of wildcats all using 6.8 bolts and mags. Coupled with the availability of 6.8 bolts and mags.
    I really don't see why someone would want a 6.8/.277 caliber that isn't capable of pushing 110, 115, 120 and 130 grain projectiles and is 200fps slower with lighter projectiles.
    But thats just me.

Hello. Thanks for posting.

Did you ever get your line of 6.8 SPC II loaded ammo to market? Also, are you still making the heavy .277 bullets? I should give them another try at subsonic speeds from my Wolverine.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Hello. Thanks for posting.

Did you ever get your line of 6.8 SPC II loaded ammo to market? Also, are you still making the heavy .277 bullets? I should give them another try at subsonic speeds from my Wolverine.

Ammo should come out this summer in time for hunting season. I do still have .277 subs available. As well as a new 70gr .224 monolithic that will even stabilize in a 1:9 twist barrel and expansion to a .570 diameter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The introduction of the new Hornady 6 ARC has me curious about the 277 Wolverine's cousin called the 6mm Mongoose.

The Mongoose is also a 223 based wildcat but, obviously, used a .243 bullet. It is slightly different shape and fractionally longer than the Wolverine so it has a bit more powder capacity.

I have read this cartridge can be a little picky with mags since the case taper is different. But apparently it runs 100% in the Magpul 300BLK mags.

Does it really offer anything unique or better than 223? That's debatable. On paper it looks good but does a .24 85 grain bullet really offer anything over a .22 77 grain bullet in actual practical application? Probably not although one advantage would be for hunting in areas that don't allow .223.

Another possible advantage is being able to use 90+ grainers but they may have to be loaded to longer than 2.26" and may require mag modifications. Not a deal breaker for some but too much hassle for me to likely mess with.

I guess the 277 WLV may continue to be about as good as it can get for a cartridge limited to 2.26" that's meant to run in standard AR mags and doesn't require a different bolt. It does offer pretty good velocities with 90gr and heavier without being too finicky with mags and it can also be suppressed again without requiring a specific mag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently acquired a Robinson XCR in 223 Rem. I haven't done much with the rifle yet but like it pretty well so far. Probably one of the nicer things is that RobArm appears to support the platform pretty well and things like barrel extensions and gas system parts are available for purchase.

With this in mind I emailed Mark Kexel (the fellow behind the marketing of the 277 WLV) who in turn put me in touch with a man named Dan Fisher.

Dan is an early fan of the Wolverine and has done some custom barrels for this cartridge. He tells me he has done some XCR stuff in the past and that making a barrel is a straightforward process.

No idea of cost yet but at least we know the project is doable. What I'm thinking of is a 1x7 twist 14" barrel with pinned AAC 51T muzzle device built with the 300 AAC Blackout gas system.

Depending on cost I may actually get this done...

Feedback Score
    I don't know what the point of the 6mm Mongoose would be. I think the 6mm/223 already kind of fills that niche.

One thing I wonder about for the .277 Wolverine though, with Sig coming out with these new steel base cartridges that can supposedly handle higher pressures, would it be possible for the Wolverine to be loaded hotter so that it reaches 6.8 SPC ballistics or better?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I don't know what the point of the 6mm Mongoose would be. I think the 6mm/223 already kind of fills that niche.

One thing I wonder about for the .277 Wolverine though, with Sig coming out with these new steel base cartridges that can supposedly handle higher pressures, would it be possible for the Wolverine to be loaded hotter so that it reaches 6.8 SPC ballistics or better?
    Now that would be interesting. You could maybe get 6.8SPC(2) performance while using 556 bolts and mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Now that would be interesting. You could maybe get 6.8SPC(2) performance while using 556 bolts and mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would the traditional M16 bolt and extension take a 20% or whatever increase in pressure?

But, yes, an enhanced performance round that fits into an existing system would be the bee's knees!

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-17-20 at 10:23.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast